VIRGINIA: EVMS CASPA Cycle for the Class of 2022

41 minutes ago, aerialPA said:

I am wondering if offers go out in waves similar to interviews? Looks like only about 10 people that use this forum stated they were accepted. 10/80 seems really low for all the offers going out. Stay hopeful people! Luckily I have a lot of people rooting for me which feels really good. My fingers are still crossed for more news. For the people accepted: CONGRATS!!! You guys must feel really accomplished, hopefully I will be another person to join you guys soon. 

Hey, posted what Professor Parish said a few cycles ago and I noticed he echoed the same thing in previous cycles. The initial 80 offers went out and there will be another wave once the deadline to pay the deposit passes. After they secure the deposit for 80 seats, then the alternate/waitlist emails go out. All we can do at this point is hope we ranked high enough to secure the next wave of remaining available seats in the class and at worst the third wave which is a placement on the alternate/waitlist. 

Edited by FeelTheMusicPA

Hey all! I attended the Monday interview and received an email a little after 5pm today with an offer. I am grateful and excited! 

Congratulations to everyone who received an offer! Can’t wait to meet you! 

Also, I can’t help but think of those who have not heard back yet and continue to grind towards their dream. I am rooting for you! Just remember, it’s not a matter of if this is going to happen, it’s really a matter of when.🙏🏼🤞🏼

-Jen

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Guest SecondCareerPrePA

For those asking about a "second wave".  Historically, 5-10 accepted students pass.  Consult the statistics and you'll see that 85 to 90 acceptance offers are extended to reach 80 students.  So there is still a glimmer of hope for those that ranked #81-#90.  Stay hopeful and keep an eye on your email.

Screenshot_20190724-081942.png

Received my acceptance yesterday, 24 July 2019, at 17:17. Following up with someone's request earlier, I forgot to save my calculated GPA from CASPA prior to the new cycle starting. I know my prereq GPA was a 4.0 and total GPA was 3.4. I believe my science GPA was 3.2 --I made it clear I was not mature in undergrad and admitted my mistakes. I have grown so much since undergrad. I have 600 volunteer hours, 4,000 hands-on pt hours, 20 hours shadowing an ortho PA --not including my Scribe job where I do work with PA-Cs. At the time of submitting my CASPA application, I had just started my ER scribe job so only listed 300 hours. I now have over 1,000 hours in Level I, III, and V ERs. 

• Like 3

Congrats to everyone that got accepted yesterday!!! It's such a bittersweet moment for me because although I didn't get an acceptance, the interviewees who I got a chance to meet were so passionate, dedicated and beyond qualified for this program and I am beyond excited for them to start in January!!! So I am pretty sure that EVSM saw these qualities and more to all the ones who they decided to send the invitation to. Like many have mentioned, for the ones who are still waiting, like I am, we have to remain hopeful. I've seen that a few accepted applicants have applied more than twice to this program, so they are a reminder  to us that we have to keep being resilient when pursuing our goals. No matter how long it takes, we will be PAs! 

P.S, for those new applicants who are applying this cycle (class of 2023) and are looking at this thread, good luck and be prepared to feel a roller coster of emotions!! It's definitely worth the ride though! EVSM is a good program so you should definitely apply.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, miche12x said:

Congrats to everyone that got accepted yesterday!!! It's such a bittersweet moment for me because although I didn't get an acceptance, the interviewees who I got a chance to meet were so passionate, dedicated and beyond qualified for this program and I am beyond excited for them to start in January!!! So I am pretty sure that EVSM saw these qualities and more to all the ones who they decided to send the invitation to. Like many have mentioned, for the ones who are still waiting, like I am, we have to remain hopeful. I've seen that a few accepted applicants have applied more than twice to this program, so they are a reminder  to us that we have to keep being resilient when pursuing our goals. No matter how long it takes, we will be PAs! 

P.S, for those new applicants who are applying this cycle (class of 2023) and are looking at this thread, good luck and be prepared to feel a roller coster of emotions!! It's definitely worth the ride though! EVSM is a good program so you should definitely apply.

I second this well stated remark!  It was amazing meeting everyone I had the opportunity to meet!  Go forward and provide wonderful care for all those you have the privilege of working for!  I hope to be a fellow colleague some day soon!  

• Like 1

All,

I just want to take a few moments to lay out my perspective regarding the whole process of getting into a PA program (for those that may be interested). Throughout the last couple of years I have met some wonderful people in this forum that have taken time out to answer some of my questions, so I feel it's important to do the same and return the favor to those still on their quest for admittance to a program. 

I did receive an invitation into EVMS and I am very excited—this was my second attempt. However, like many of you, I was ready to try a third time if this was not my year. I know what it is like to not receive that acceptance email, and I know it is a pretty crummy feeling. My biggest piece of advice for moving forward is to reevaluate and determine what may have been weak points in your application. Reach out to the Health Professions Department (I think they say you can do this in september) and inquire about how they scored your application and how you can remedy your weak points. I had straight As in my prerequisites and for my qualifying GPA, a couple of thousand hours of PCE, and a few hundred community service hours—I did not get in, so let me say, GPA is not the end-all. 

Go to their published statistics and see how your stats compare to their "average accepted applicant" page. For me, it was my PCE, so I worked on that among other things. One more thing; also recognize that there are things completely out of your control, like what qualities they are looking for in a cohort. I've read stories about people getting into the top 3 ranked schools and at the same time being declined by the bottom 3 ranked schools. It's hard to pin down those types of things because they really are unknowable. 

I just want you guys to know that you are all very well qualified, and this moment in time will help bring about more perspective and understanding next time you go through the process ( it did for me). If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to send me a message and I'll try to provide some feedback. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mrhandshake said:

All,

I just want to take a few moments to lay out my perspective regarding the whole process of getting into a PA program (for those that may be interested). Throughout the last couple of years I have met some wonderful people in this forum that have taken time out to answer some of my questions, so I feel it's important to do the same and return the favor to those still on their quest for admittance to a program. 

I did receive an invitation into EVMS and I am very excited—this was my second attempt. However, like many of you, I was ready to try a third time if this was not my year. I know what it is like to not receive that acceptance email, and I know it is a pretty crummy feeling. My biggest piece of advice for moving forward is to reevaluate and determine what may have been weak points in your application. Reach out to the Health Professions Department (I think they say you can do this in september) and inquire about how they scored your application and how you can remedy your weak points. I had straight As in my prerequisites and for my qualifying GPA, a couple of thousand hours of PCE, and a few hundred community service hours—I did not get in, so let me say, GPA is not the end-all. 

Go to their published statistics and see how your stats compare to their "average accepted applicant" page. For me, it was my PCE, so I worked on that among other things. One more thing; also recognize that there are things completely out of your control, like what qualities they are looking for in a cohort. I've read stories about people getting into the top 3 ranked schools and at the same time being declined by the bottom 3 ranked schools. It's hard to pin down those types of things because they really are unknowable. 

I just want you guys to know that you are all very well qualified, and this moment in time will help bring about more perspective and understanding next time you go through the process ( it did for me). If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to send me a message and I'll try to provide some feedback. 

Thanks for the feedback. It's nice to see how many people have the same struggles and have had to apply more than once. If you don't mind would you please share the dates you heard from EVMS in the previous years with the final decision: rejection or waitlist. It could give some of us an idea of the time frame to expect. Thanks for the insight. Congrats on your acceptance!!!

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, pafuture1234 said:

That's what I'm trying to figure out lol! Not really looking for words of encouragement until after I know for sure lol

From my detective work from previous years forums it looks like the same ratio of responses. I am guessing all 80 offers went out. About 10-15 people that use the forum post about getting an offer each year. In the past years forums there have not been any people posting after the main acceptance day so that is why I think all 80 went out. A few did post about waitlist in previous years, and one person posted about an acceptance about 5 days after the offers were made (maybe this was the overflow from people who rejected the offer). There is still hope but to me it seems that all 80 went out the other day. Hope that helps give you an idea of what to expect. Good luck everyone, there is still the waitlist!!!

32 minutes ago, aerialPA said:

From my detective work from previous years forums it looks like the same ratio of responses. I am guessing all 80 offers went out. About 10-15 people that use the forum post about getting an offer each year. In the past years forums there have not been any people posting after the main acceptance day so that is why I think all 80 went out. A few did post about waitlist in previous years, and one person posted about an acceptance about 5 days after the offers were made (maybe this was the overflow from people who rejected the offer). There is still hope but to me it seems that all 80 went out the other day. Hope that helps give you an idea of what to expect. Good luck everyone, there is still the waitlist!!!

Your detective work is factual! Not much hope but still hope some will decline their seat giving a few of us an opportunity to fill the spot. Until 80 people pay a deposit, there’s still a glimmer of hope to receive an offer. Once all 80 deposits are paid, they send the waitlist emails and chances get slimmer. Rejections can come before or after they send the waitlist emails. 

11 hours ago, aerialPA said:

Thanks for the feedback. It's nice to see how many people have the same struggles and have had to apply more than once. If you don't mind would you please share the dates you heard from EVMS in the previous years with the final decision: rejection or waitlist. It could give some of us an idea of the time frame to expect. Thanks for the insight. Congrats on your acceptance!!!

Last year, for me, the decline letter came out the same day the acceptance e-mails were released. So if you haven’t received anything yet, that may mean they haven’t filled all the seats. It’s probably more or less the same process that FeelTheMusicPA posted earlier.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Hello All, 

I haven't posted before this but I've been watching this thread since I found out about it at the interview. Like some of you I haven't heard anything yet and after some debate (about weather I want to go through this emotional process again) I've already made a plan of how I can better myself for next year, worst case. I just want to thank you all for your posts! You have all been so uplifting and encouraging and some of these posts have been really helpful, thank you! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MegSJ said:

Hello All, 

I haven't posted before this but I've been watching this thread since I found out about it at the interview. Like some of you I haven't heard anything yet and after some debate (about weather I want to go through this emotional process again) I've already made a plan of how I can better myself for next year, worst case. I just want to thank you all for your posts! You have all been so uplifting and encouraging and some of these posts have been really helpful, thank you! 

Thank you for your transparency! I was a total wreck when I didn’t receive an initial acceptance but now I’m like another year to travel, see the world, gain more experiences, and better myself. Hoping the best for you on your PA journey. 

• Upvote 1

I'm hoping my story will resonate with some of you who are dealing with the possibility of reapplying next year. First of all, don't throw in the towel yet. There are most likely more invites to go out and some of those on the waitlist often get an opportunity to join the class. It ain't over! Secondly, if it ends up that you are not accepted into the cohort this year and you are truly passionate about becoming a PA, then there's no choice but to apply again next year. You will be the more wiser for going through this process already and you have a year to gain more experience, more maturity, more knowledge...it's not a loss. I wanted to become a PA to be in a profession where I am challenged every day, I am learning something every day, and I am able to share with others what I have learned. However, when I decided a PA career would hit all these marks, I was already almost 40 years old. I could have easily told myself how ridiculous it would be for me to go back to school part time for six years to get my BS degree while retaking A&P I and II because mine had expired AND take microbiology and organic chemistry. I could have easily said I am too old and this would be too hard. But I didn't. Because I know for certain that all I have right this moment is time. And if I spent one more year thinking about going back to school instead of doing it, now I am a year older. So I did it. I am 45 years old and will graduate from PA school at 47 years old starting my second career. I can honestly tell you whenever life has thrown a monkey wrench in MY plans for life, I have always looked back and realized it was to make me a better person or push me in a new direction. Once that happens to you often enough, you start learning to have faith in the path that life throws you in. 

Future colleagues, this is OUR path. It doesn't matter if it's this year or next year or the next. If you want it, it will happen. We are here to support each other no matter how long it takes to get us where we need to be. If you don't get in this year, meet with the school and have someone with experience take an objective look at your application. There is always room for improvement. Have faith that your time will come if you put in the work needed to get there. And if I can do anything to help you, I'm ready and willing. 

Best wishes,

Vicky

• Like 11
  • Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, thegrayprepa said:

I'm hoping my story will resonate with some of you who are dealing with the possibility of reapplying next year. First of all, don't throw in the towel yet. There are most likely more invites to go out and some of those on the waitlist often get an opportunity to join the class. It ain't over! Secondly, if it ends up that you are not accepted into the cohort this year and you are truly passionate about becoming a PA, then there's no choice but to apply again next year. You will be the more wiser for going through this process already and you have a year to gain more experience, more maturity, more knowledge...it's not a loss. I wanted to become a PA to be in a profession where I am challenged every day, I am learning something every day, and I am able to share with others what I have learned. However, when I decided a PA career would hit all these marks, I was already almost 40 years old. I could have easily told myself how ridiculous it would be for me to go back to school part time for six years to get my BS degree while retaking A&P I and II because mine had expired AND take microbiology and organic chemistry. I could have easily said I am too old and this would be too hard. But I didn't. Because I know for certain that all I have right this moment is time. And if I spent one more year thinking about going back to school instead of doing it, now I am a year older. So I did it. I am 45 years old and will graduate from PA school at 47 years old starting my second career. I can honestly tell you whenever life has thrown a monkey wrench in MY plans for life, I have always looked back and realized it was to make me a better person or push me in a new direction. Once that happens to you often enough, you start learning to have faith in the path that life throws you in. 

Future colleagues, this is OUR path. It doesn't matter if it's this year or next year or the next. If you want it, it will happen. We are here to support each other no matter how long it takes to get us where we need to be. If you don't get in this year, meet with the school and have someone with experience take an objective look at your application. There is always room for improvement. Have faith that your time will come if you put in the work needed to get there. And if I can do anything to help you, I'm ready and willing. 

Best wishes,

Vicky

Needed this Vicky! Thank you for sharing! 

• Like 1

Guest SecondCareerPrePA

I went back a couple cycles to see how seats were filled after interviewees declined, and some alternates were called by phone just over ten days after the initial acceptances were sent out.  Waitlist emails were sent nearly two weeks after initial acceptances.  We are still only in day three of waiting to hear anything at all, so it's still way early. That year (Class of 2020), twelve students declined, and many waitlisters were activated, all the way up to November and December (which is why you have to apply for financial aid now if waitlisted, and arrange life as if you're getting in).  Not knowing is difficult, and waiting for something so important is hard as well   So stay positive, stay busy, sign up for a class or two just in case, make sure your phone is on and up that first week of August, and remember you're not alone.  I'm here in limbo with you too!   😬

Edited by SecondCareerPrePA