Lynchburg College DMSc

Just curious of what everyone's thoughts are about the Lynchburg College DMSc program? This seems like a pretty big advancement, a doctoral level degree being offered for PAs by a PA school but I haven't been able to find much discussion about it.  Personally I think it's a pretty fair program that gives the opportunity to enhance clinical knowledge and learn some basics of hospital admin/leadership. 

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

Birddogpa - Did you do it (DMSc from Lynchburg)?  I just applied.  If so, Im sure you are done now.  Curious what you're doing. I graduated from PA school 9 years ago.  I figure I will pursue it because after 10 years... it may give me more options.... whether I exercise my options right away or down the road. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

It also begs the question.... Med schools are talking about shrinking to 3 years. We go to entry level doctorate. Why not go to med school? Still have that pesky residency....

My understanding is there a pushback on the 3 year programs. The old guard looks down on them cause they went through 4 years and hate to see others that did not do the same. However, in my circumstance I hope the schools i apply to all change to 3 years. 

58 minutes ago, brandonhughey said:

Still forming my opinions on ENTRY level doctorates... Cost seems like an issue... PAs make ok $$$ but many doctoral programs now-a-days are $100k+ tuition. What are your thoughts?

entry level doctoral program likely not more than MS + DMSc. might as well get it done with and save yourself a year. it is not any longer than an ms program.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

and mcats...and ochem...and biochem...

Medical schools are moving away from required prereqs. Now these schools do have "recommended course work" which may be a euphemism for prerequisite. Two off the top of my head are Vandy and Wake.

Edited by PAtoMD
clarification

On 4/5/2019 at 4:02 PM, EMEDPA said:

never took either. it was why I applied PA instead of MD. I made a mistake.

I took Orgo 1/2 with lab and upper division biochem with lab and did not apply to medical school. Some days I think I made a mistake, but when I look at my life style and my budget looks like I can retire at 59 1/2 with over a million bucks in my nest egg I don't feel sad anymore! 🙂 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I will be graduating in a few weeks and the DMSc is already paying off some. Helped to secure a new job that pays a premium and have gotten my first request to guest lecture. Also using it to satisfy some of the requirements to sit for CAQ-EM exam. 

On 4/5/2019 at 2:19 PM, brandonhughey said:

Looking to apply straight out of PA school. Hoping it makes early transisition into academia or leadership smoother. Heard from Dr. Rust that admissions weren’t too competitive.

Also seems like a good idea to get “even” with DNPs (sigh*). Doesn’t seem to be geared towards improving clinical skills though. Edit: you also won’t have to deal with people saying DNPs are “more educated”. Lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Despite a fairly steady amount of griping (from me and a few others) about some of the aspects of the program, I found it to be useful and that I often cite examples in day-to-day practice and teaching of things that I learned. Overall, a worthwhile endeavor. Necessary? Not really but I have been a PA for over 15 years and was excited to advance my degree in a relatively short period of time and for what was a very fair price (IMO). 

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, NeoTrion said:

I graduated earlier this year and felt that the workload was appropriate.  I did have to set aside specific time away from the family or from work to get things done.  If you are disciplined enough to do that then you shouldn't have a problem.   

Graduated as well from DMSc. Agree with workload being appropriate. Lot of reading/writing and posting on the message board. Expect 10-15 hours of work per week I'd say.