Hey all,

I am planning on doing my DMSc at one of these three institutions as they have an accelerated track for new grad PAs. Anyone currently in their program or finished it and have any opinions? I'm leaning towards Pacific as it is the cheapest. They are all pretty different though in terms of what I'll be learning, just wondering if it'd be better to attend a certain program over the other?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

If you are at all interested in critical care, I would seriously look at the Butler program. If you just want the degree, go with the cheapest. 

12 hours ago, MediMurphy said:

Agree with EMEDPA. I am just now starting with Butler specifically for the critical care concentration. They also have an orthopedic concentration. Consider what your goals are to pick which program is best for you.

I think my goal is to get it done as quickly and cheaply as possible. And all of them have an accelerated one semester version for new grads. Pacific is the cheapest. None really have a “concentration” since it’s accelerated. What do y’all think about that?

3 hours ago, abdominalaorticaneurysm said:

I think my goal is to get it done as quickly and cheaply as possible. And all of them have an accelerated one semester version for new grads. Pacific is the cheapest. None really have a “concentration” since it’s accelerated. What do y’all think about that?

If your goal is just to get DMSc after your name, then the fastest and cheapest will do the trick. You get out of these what you put into them. I have seen some folks spend 1 hr/week on their doctoral studies and others spend 20. They get the same degree. The 20 hr guy gets more out of it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2024 at 8:33 PM, MediMurphy said:

Agree with EMEDPA. I am just now starting with Butler specifically for the critical care concentration. They also have an orthopedic concentration. Consider what your goals are to pick which program is best for you.

Curious about how this goes, would love an update as you get farther along. I've spent about a decade in critical care and was looking to gain some more knowledge, would love to see you curriculum/topics as you go on.

• 2 weeks later...

I started the DMSc program at SIU in January.  37 credits, 11 months.  It's pretty intense (I'm at about 14-16 hours/week of work) but so far, it's been a great experience.  Professors are pretty fantastic and it's very organized and well run for a program that's only been around for a few years.  

I've been at PA for 15 years and got a scholarship through the VA for the program, but I think is $27k all in.  

• Like 1