So, what are you wearing?

What do you wear to work?  I realize that this depends on your specialty.  I have a surgeon friend whom I've rarely ever seen in real clothes, just scrubs.

I work two jobs, one is UC.  I'm thinking about wearing scrubs to that one.  I'm tired of getting my clothes messy.

The VA doesn't want us to wear scrubs. Business Casual in primary care.

I would LOVE to work in nice scrubs with my name embroidered. It would be more comfortable, more amenable to doing ortho exams and save my money for clothes I want to wear during off hours. 

I also like the idea of not having MRSA and other junk exposed to my street clothes............................

I think scrubs can be professional and tasteful if not baggy, totally wrinkled or too tight.

I have worked with some MAs who wear scrubs that have a sausage casing affect - one big sneeze and everything might come busting out - not much left to the imagination.

Got this from my Mom - I don't like the bottoms of pant legs dragging on the ground or ragged. 

Don't want to see underwear either.

Yep, I am an old Mom..................................

3 minutes ago, UGoLong said:

Business casual under a white coat. Some people wear ties, but not me; been there, done that.

Same. Slacks and a button up under a white coat, no tie. With very comfy loafers because I've learned the hard way comfortable shoes can make or break a 12+ hour shift.

I gave up the white coat about 20 years ago.

Not skinny anymore and I can make you a hot flash to beat all others.............

White coats are too snuggly on me and never stay clean. I just find them uncomfortable and a tad pretentious in some settings. 

My patients relate to me if I kind of look like them - similar dress, etc. 

Many conversations have started with comparing Keen shoes or asking about my silly socks - my trademark.

I have strongly considered a toolbelt in some settings instead of a white coat - too many things to keep up with............

3 hours ago, AbeTheBabe said:

Shirt and tie under white coat, outpatient ortho clinic. Wish I could wear scrubs, but the surgeon I work with (and most of the rest of the practice) wear a shirt and tie.

Oh man, that blows. We rock scrubs in our ortho practice. Although I will throw on my white coat every now and then for sh*ts and giggles.

Because the AC is blowing all the time in my ER, I'm usually in my 5:11's (lots of pockets for signature block stamp, Rx pads/PALS/ACLS cribnotes and other memory joggers, external brain [iPhone],head lamp and eye pro/reading glasses ) and a long sleeve collared shirt with cuffs up a couple rolls.  5-11 pants are great - you can do business casual with them, the extra internal mag pockets are wonderful for storage, they're blood resistant and virtually indestructible.  I'll sometimes go t shirt with scrub top or I have some golf shirts that Vistaprint did up for me with name, credentials and a stethoscope embroidered on them.  If it gets too cold or I'm working with plaster, I get my lab coat out (or if I'm doing OR assist and staying in full scrubs after - weird habit/requirement from a few places I worked at in past).  For tools, I have my Leatherman Raptor medical multi-tool - it's a fold up penny shear, seat-belt ripper, ring cutter, O2 key, window punch/skull crusher all in one.  I'm also a big fan of the 4 in 1 multi-coloured Bic pens.  I have a pair of non-slip work place Sketcher loafers I wear only at work.

SK

Navy Working Uniform Type 3. I will however find any excuse I can to put on scrubs for a procedure. "That shave biopsy might get really bloody. Better wear my scrubs!"
150c6a0d30b84f54ea31d8b49789a3b9.jpg
Wow lots of uniform changes since I was in the Navy! We didn't have digis/cammies like those. FMF had Cammies but not like those IIRC. I was blue side corpsman so work blues/whites or dungarees (with Dixie cups which I'm told are gone now? [emoji53][emoji35] or we wore our netback/snap back command caps) and boondockers or dress shoes. I worked in OR so mostly scrubs.

Now I wear business Casual. One of our site directors implemented a "casual Friday" so I wear nice jeans and a nice casual button up or golf/polo shirt with chukkas, Chelseas, or even nice sneakers on Fridays. He and I are the only ones who do casual Friday" oddly enough lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Joelseff said:

Wow lots of uniform changes since I was in the Navy! We didn't have digis/cammies like those. FMF had Cammies but not like those IIRC. I was blue side corpsman so work blues/whites or dungarees (with Dixie cups which I'm told are gone now? emoji53.pngemoji35.png or we wore our netback/snap back command caps) and boondockers or dress shoes. I worked in OR so mostly scrubs.

Now I wear business Casual. One of our site directors implemented a "casual Friday" so I wear nice jeans and a nice casual button up or golf/polo shirt with chukkas, Chelseas, or even nice sneakers on Fridays. He and I are the only ones who do casual Friday" oddly enough lol.

We change about every 6 months :/ the type 3 is a very recent change. They don't even have enough for everyone yet.

Had a photoshoot today to promote our New Team Based Care (Docs with AHPs) model so I wore a tie, dress shirt and slacks... When they left tie came off and sleeves rolled up... I have a BPH pt and an "inguinal pain" pt scheduled today so don't wanna get my dress shirt sleeves compromised [emoji854]

Archived