How long did you stay at your first job?

I'm not sure if there is already a post about this, but I didn't see one so I thought I'd post---Very curious as to how long many people stay at their first job.  Recently, I spoke to a PA who mentioned many of her classmates changed to a new job after about 6 months; how true is this? 

How long did you stay at your first job, what was it, and what did you change to? Just looking to take a little poll on here.

Thanks!

6 months. I took a good well-paying job in a city I absolutely didn't want to live in thinking I would need at least a year of experience before finding a comparable position in my desired location. Turns out that opportunity came up much faster than expected so no regrets

1 year to the day. It was miserable and they expected WAY too much from a new grad. I look back on that job 6 years later and can't believe I stayed that long. But the silver lining was that I now know what I will and won't put up with as a PA. It was a great learning experience.

4 months in outpatient private practice heme/onc: was a dangerous situation for a new grad from both a medical and a billing standpoint. Love my current (2nd) job in heme malignancy/bone marrow transplant in an academic medical center and have been here about 18 months now.

4 months for many reasons. I was working in pain which is just not something I recommend to anyone, but they'd hire me as a new grad. I got a job in psychiatry, which is honestly all I've ever wanted to do, and am so excited to be starting that so. I didn't leave on very good terms with my first job, but honestly I had concerns about where I was working and if I was putting myself at more risk by being there so... gotta do what you gotta do. I'm hoping it won't come back to bite me.

Archived