PA jobs with very little patient contact?

Do any of you know of any PA jobs out there that don't have a lot of patient interaction (comparable to your typical primary care patient interaction)? I know surgery is probably one. I also heard something about PA's getting positions strictly in research or something like that. Does anyone know anything else about this or have other opinions?

Administration

Reserach

teaching

drug rep

have a social friend who did 4 years in the ER then got hired by local hospital based Cardiology group to run a research projects - does some patient appointments but mostly paperwork

honestly - if you have the stomach for it - hosptial admin would be great to get more PA's into....

honestly - if you have the stomach for it - hosptial admin would be great to get more PA's into....

Agree and would add out patient clinic adminstrator as well. Like rural primary care health networks. I know several PAs who are doing great as adminstrators in Co. Health Departments.

I suspect that if avoiding or minimizing direct patient contact is a priority, an MD or Ph.D. program would be more appropriate.

That's generally correct. The PA degree is a professional degree focused on direct patient care. A doctoral degree will serve you better if you'd like to limit patient contact.

Though if that's not a possibility and you've already got a PA degree, one option would be to work at a hospital get knowledgeable about the administrative workings therein any way you can. Budget reports, terminology, statistics, methods; if that hospital does it and releases the information, learn about it. The more you know and aware you are of those things, the less an introductory period you'll need if you got the administrative job and the more willing they would be to choose you for it.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are a fresh PA or finishing your clinical year as a student, I would advise that the patient interaction gets easier. It was tough on me at first and I sought other options after I graduated, but it has gotten a lot easier as I've gotten more experience. Otherwise, as others have suggested administration or teaching. You could also look into running clinical trials. In the clinical setting pathology, radiology, and anesthesiology are generally closed to us as PAs. There are sometimes surgical positions where you only do surgery.

• 6 months later...

Archived