I am debating on what to do with work once I start PA school. I am currently a therapy aide and I work 10.5 hours every Saturday and Sunday. The job is extremely flexible in that it allows me plenty of downtime to do homework in between patient sessions. It has worked out great for me in undergrad, which I graduated from with a 3.9 and honors. I know PA school is a different story, though, so I'd appreciate any suggestions/advice on the idea. I absolutely love my job and think it would be wonderful if I could keep it!

I worked for a couple months before rotations. It was on campus so it was easy to fit in around class, low stress, and easy money. I know one other person who worked here and there at a retail store and as a scribe in the ED.

Personally, I wouldn't rely on work as a source of income while you're in school. Be prepared to quit picking up shifts if it starts affecting school. School is pretty demanding and you should focus on taking care of yourself during your off times and/or doing some extra studying. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

I limited myself to 1 24 hour shift at the FD/month while I was in PA school.  That was really all there was time for.

Me too (except I did a 12 hour overnight shift twice a month.) The argument I used with the PA program was (1) I could keep my medic skills up and (2) I would cancel a shift if I felt it would interfere with my classwork. It was a 3 hour drive from school to the station and then I'd drive to my house Saturday morning and back to campus Sunday night. Glad I did it.

• Like 1

Thank you for all of your input! If I stayed at my job, it wouldn't be for the income, but rather to change my scenery a bit! I really love my job and have created great connections over the several years that I've been working there. Since I will spend all of my time at school/studying during PA school, I know it would be nice to be able to work/see coworkers, all while continuing my educational experience. I'm also hoping to get a job at this hospital once I graduate, so keeping my foot in the door would be a bonus!

Edited by WisPAC
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, WisPAC said:

Thank you for all of your input! If I stayed at my job, it wouldn't be for the income, but rather to change my scenery a bit! I really love my job and have created great connections over the several years that I've been working there. Since I will spend all of my time at school/studying during PA school, I know it would be nice to be able to work/see coworkers, all while continuing my educational experience. I'm also hoping to get a job at this hospital once I graduate, so keeping my foot in the door would be a bonus!

Sounds like a good option for you. 

• Like 1