Pronouncement of Death

Further info on MASS

NP can declare and sign death cert but a PA can only declare

MAPA is looking into this and hopefully will get it changed soon

It is an odd question as it has NOTHING to do with the delivery of care - you can't really  "screw up" a death cert as long as you fill it out correctly.... so what is the deal with not allowing a PA or NP to sign it?

As a PA wanna-be I am curious myself ...

When you're on clinicals just ask someone (floor nurse will probably be able to help you) to let you have a death packet to look through. I was given one when started my job so that the first time a patient died wouldn't be the first time I had seen the paperwork.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

greenmood: What did the packet consist of?

Hm, not sure there is a "process". At least in the ER. We resuscitate (unless DNR), but if it isn't working, no cardiac activity by bedside ultrasound, no ROSC, we just call time of death. 

We don't make determinations as to brain death and such. If someone has a heartbeat, we admit to ICU. If we tried everything we could and still no heartbeat, we call time of death. 

Then we call the ME and they decide whether they want the case or not. If they want the case, every line and tube stays in place. If they decline it, we can remove lines and tubes to make the remains more presentable for the family.

Then we fill out the death certificate (well, I fill out and MD signs it), and that's it. Body goes to the morgue, end of my involvement.

Huh. Interesting. We have to file a death certificate on every death in our department. We fill it out before the body leaves the ED. Can't send someone to the morgue (or a funeral home) without a signed death certificate! When the dead guy wakes up in the freezer, the morgue tech wants to have an MD's signature so he knows who to blame. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

In the ER, I agree you know when to call a code and there isn't really a process to declaring time of death. In smaller hospitals though I have been called to inpatient units to declare a patient I've never seen before. Then I do a sternal rub, check pupils, check for carotid pulse, visually watch for any respiratory efforts, etc. before pronouncement. But maybe that's just me...

In the ER, I agree you know when to call a code and there isn't really a process to declaring time of death. In smaller hospitals though I have been called to inpatient units to declare a patient I've never seen before. Then I do a sternal rub, check pupils, check for carotid pulse, visually watch for any respiratory efforts, etc. before pronouncement. But maybe that's just me...

This is where a portable, bedside echo device would come in handy.  Just because there isn't a palpable carotid pulse doesn't exclude myocardial activity (I realize that this is a technicality but we've all heard the stories as alluded to by skyblu).  My ED days were done by the time we received the legal authority to pronounce in my state.

This is where a portable, bedside echo device would come in handy.  Just because there isn't a palpable carotid pulse doesn't exclude myocardial activity (I realize that this is a technicality but we've all heard the stories as alluded to by skyblu).  My ED days were done by the time we received the legal authority to pronounce in my state.

The opposite. We've called PEA after multiple rounds of ACLS. If you echo the heart there is still some contractility. Sometimes you see disorganized activity in the heart when there is no electrical activity on the monitor. If you don't have a carotid pulse you aren't perfusing the brain. Everything else is academic. 

My point is that a lack of a palpable pulse does not for any number of reasons confirm death. Look at hypothermia drownings as an example. You don't pronounce "cold and dead", you wait until they're "warm and dead". With the use of the echo you're using it to confirm absence of "effective" contractility in the absence of effective respiration and a sustainable rhythm. Now, if you don't have access, the individual in question has no appreciable respiration, no pulse, and no discernible heart sounds, then I'd be comfortable.

My point is that a lack of a palpable pulse does not for any number of reasons confirm death. Look at hypothermia drownings as an example. You don't pronounce "cold and dead", you wait until they're "warm and dead". With the use of the echo you're using it to confirm absence of "effective" contractility in the absence of effective respiration and a sustainable rhythm. Now, if you don't have access, the individual in question has no appreciable respiration, no pulse, and no discernible heart sounds, then I'd be comfortable.

asystole on the monitor is also fairly convincing....

I don't think anyone would pronounce a cold death. We all know the maxim "they're not dead until they're warm and dead."

We usually have people on two monitors: the wall one and the portable defibrillator one. Separate set of leads. Asystole on both, absent resporations, GCS of 3, absent palpable or dopplerable pulses are all pretty convincing.

Having said that, I often do a bedside echo anyway because the machine is right there. We had a very hard pedi code a couple months ago and Mom said it helped her accept the decision to stop resuscitation when the echo showed no cardiac motion. If it had shown even a little fib, we'd probably have continued even longer than the two hours. Not that it would have changed the outcome, but losing a 3 month old is unimaginable enough for his parents that I'd stay there all night doing pointless CPR if it helped them feel we had tried absolutely everything.

Archived