The horror of keeping a patient alive at all costs.

The horror of keeping a loved one alive at all costs

He was in his ICU bed without movement or brain stem involvement. His weight was down to 90 pounds.

His six-foot frame and skeletal body made me gasp.

ADVERTISEMENT

After countless sessions with the patient’s daughter to make her 92-year-old dad “comfort care,” the intensivist sadly hung his head down low.

The daughter insisted on doing everything for her daddy.

It was my night shift, and I knew what was to be expected. Another endless code. A futile event to please a family member.

I’ll never understand this.

He coded twice on this day. The ICU doctors called in the ethics committee. But that was a process, and we had run out of time.

He coded on me this night — his third code blue in 24 hours. We pushed the code blue button. The nurses, an intensivist, a virtual ICU MD, respiratory therapists, and CNAs to assist in CPR showed up promptly. We all had our roles.

He was already on the ventilator.

Unresponsive.

Central line.

Levophed, vasopressin, and bicarbonate drips infusing.

His heart stood still.

Asystole.

The daughter and her husband insisted on watching the code. They wanted to make sure that everything that could be done was done.

They said they would have their lawyer “after us” if we did not do everything.

They watched us do CPR. They listened to his frail body as we cracked his ribs. They watched me push epinephrine, and we announced each medication we gave IV push — epinephrine every three to five minutes.

The doctors begged the daughter to let us stop.

He said that this treatment, this code was futile. It was brutal.

Yet, she refused.

After 15 minutes of CPR and never regained a pulse, asystole was his only rhythm. He essentially had “died” 15 minutes earlier.

And the ICU doctor said: “Stop CPR.”

The doctor addressed the daughter.

“After 15 minutes of vigorous CPR, epinephrine IV push, your father has not responded. He is without a pulse. He died. There’s nothing more we can do.”

I watched the daughter as she shook her head. “Daddy, you almost made it to 100 years. We tried daddy. We tried.”

I was in disbelief. I could not comprehend the brutality in this, how this was so inhumane.

How sad that we can end our own pets’ lives when they are suffering and dying, but we can’t accept humans to die peacefully.
This scene tormented me for months.

That song, “How could you be so heartless,” rang in my head over and over again.

Debbie Moore-Black is a nurse who blogs at Do Not Resuscitate.

• 2 weeks later...

We do some cruel things to people.  While in the military, I was a tech.  We did everything for this woman with many comorbidities.  I believe we were told to do everything to keep her alive a few more days until the 1st to get a paycheck.  So we basically tortured this woman in the ICU, waiting for her to die so family could get one more paycheck.   It is sad to watch us basically torture people for a futile hope.  If they had to stick their loved one, if they had debride wounds, if they had to change the foley.... would they say keep them alive?  

• Like 1

We should keep our expectations somewhat low. We're in a business that sees death fairly frequently. The people we interact with do not. I often wonder how badly their expectations are colored by movies and TV shows where a team of heroic healthcare providers constantly work "miracles." 

But yeah, keeping someone alive long enough to get another social security check? That's a little over the top. 

• Upvote 1