How is it out there??

After two job changes since 2020

job 1 running entire practice and Nursing home through Covid paid a little better then new grad 

job 2 was supposed to be better but then corporate changed things.  Gave raises to everyone but senior staff, mandated unpaid call, so on and so forth.   When they tried to give me a pay reduction to the same as a new grad I quit to start my own practice. 

I am now happy and content.  Work is a happy place.  Will be a lot happier when starting to make a profit. 

my question.  I am out of the corp game now and wondering if it is getting any better or still just being beaten down by management.  Under appreciated.  Used by management to make the docs lives better.  So on and so forth.  

what’s it like out there??

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, rev ronin said:

As a practice owner, I looked at the July 1 updates, and find I get... 2% across the board for everything from my major insurer. Hmm. THAT isn't going to keep up with inflation.

Other than that, loving it.

Better then my last employer who asked me to take a pay cut!

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, ventana said:

I am now happy and content.  Work is a happy place.  Will be a lot happier when starting to make a profit. 

Congrats! That's great news.

my question.  I am out of the corp game now and wondering if it is getting any better or still just being beaten down by management.  Under appreciated.  Used by management to make the docs lives better.  So on and so forth.  

Same same. Got an offer from a big hospital system but declined due to some red flags with admin, mandatory OT (for current staff for past year and foreseeable future due to understaffing), etc. Immediate team seemed great, though. 

what’s it like out there??

Doing PRN and traveling for the past year and loving it. 

I work for the govt and would not go back to corporate or private unless The Marvel Universe Blip really happened.

I have amazing benefits, a pension and I work hard. Make a good wage, close enough to home, work at home one day a week.

Would still open a roller rink and indoor pickle ball courts if I could find several million in my couch cushions. 

Medicine is weird, the world is weird. Hanging on for now.

Good luck on your own practice!!! I admire your courage and hard work.

• Like 3

I'm back at "corporate" but smaller system, actually my previous system before I went back to private practice. Private practice had its perks: full autonomy, full control of my schedule etc. But had drawbacks: Mostly pt load, schedule issues, pay and dues reimbursement, vacation coverage etc. 

My current situation is very good since I was in this system before and was a top 5-10 provider in ambulatory care so they welcomed me back with open arms and have been really great as far as not micromanaging me or hassling me for vacations etc. I have been on 2 vacations since returning and I've only been back for 7 mos 🤫 😁. This is mostly due to them allowing me to model my schedule. I work 3 days on, 4 days off, 4 days on, 3 days off. I am kind of "partially retired" 😁. I am salary and get paid 30K more as a part timer than I did full time in private practice. I work with a great team and my director and other clinician colleagues (3 docs and a part time NP) are AWESOME! We have a great team mentality here. All of us are experienced and are respected by one another for our areas of expertise.  The management team is also great! The practice manager is a former RN and is helpful. She actually told me "I work for you guys and I am here to advocate for you" when I was brought on and she is living up to that! Our C suite folks are also very helpful and pretty much leave us alone as long as we are doing our jobs. So its been really good. I just hope this management crew does not get changed anytime soon 🤨 

Edited by Joelseff
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I wish I had the energy to start a practice again. I did it once and, just as it was getting legs, life happened and we had to move to care for aging parents. The practice didn't have enough of a track record to sell so I sold the contents and moved on.

It was a lot of work but it was mine...my work for my benefit and things done my way. Once I lock in the pension where I am I may try it again. It would be nice to do it with no financial pressures.

Everything I read and hear about corporate just sounds worse and worse. Of course most of what I read is from people who are having problems. Happy people don't blog.

• Sad 1

You know, as much as I may diss the FQHC/community health settings for their overall dysfunction--(13+ years in this setting, taking a detour as the Infectious Disease/Communicable Disease Coordinator at another local health dept much closer to home for now--pay cut making at full-time what I was making at part-time as a PA-C, but I[m now vested in the same state pension which also reciprocates w/ the University Retirement System should that dream student-health job ever pop my way. Also, I'm not dealing with the slew of toxic work-place management affecting actual practice, and well...a breather from patient-management...still new to this new role, and looking to see if there's a very limited part-time gig as a PA to keep the clinic part from getting too rusty...)--I flirt with private medicine at certain points, but after an extremely odd interview at a private ob-gyn office last year, where the medical director seemed like El Padrino, with his harem of lady-PAs, I couldn't get the 'People are Strange When You're a Stranger' song out of my head, along with the discomfiting vibe of the whole clinic. Fleeing back to my dysfunctional, but at least held to federal regulation standards FQHC/Community health clinic was actually comforting. I see the temptation of more affluent patient populations at times, but then I see other side of that coin, and realize, as much of a headache, and heartache the community health/rural health/underserved population can be, for some reason, it seems to be where I gravitate. But...I need a break...burnout is real.

And from PA/NP/APP friends who actually took a few years away from clinic practice through COVID, those who've returned to private practice--such as these entities even exist anymore, as they're mostly gobbled into the large hospital conglomerates which seem to dominate where I live within 200mile radius out from the Chicago metro area--everyone seems overall disillusioned, and disgusted, but trying to persevere with the entire world of corporate medicine these days.

It's a sad, mad industry eating itself right now, it seems...just my jaded IMHO...;(

Edited by Brigid2010
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I remain extremely pleased with my employer, a small EM staffing co that specializes in staffing rural critical access hospitals.  I like my facilities and the EM nurses and ancillary staff at all my locations.  My company works hard to find and keep doc's, PA's, and NP's that respect and play well with each other.  The 1-2 docs that were disrespectful were removed quickly.  The pay is about 1/4-1/3 higher than I could get working locally and the benefits are better.  Only downside is the tiring travel.  As long as things stay like this I see me doing my slow slide down to full-time, then down to part-time over the decade+ I currently plan to continue practicing.

• Like 3