More corporate greed: Doctors disappearing from Emergency Rooms

3 hours ago, CAAdmission said:

It was the docs who were running the healthcare system into the ground. The regulatory mess we deal with is in at least small part due to docs gaming Medicare and Medicaid. When docs thought selling out to corporate med could make them richer, they quickly did so.

Most of the docs I know who became employees saw a chance to have a solid salary without the headache of running a practice. They abdicated their control in the interest of what was easier.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, CAAdmission said:

While we are talking about corporate greed, let's not forget physician greed. Many of the docs I have worked with have been some of the most avaricious people I have ever met, and I know a lot of lawyers and investment banker type people. 

It was the docs who were running the healthcare system into the ground. The regulatory mess we deal with is in at least small part due to docs gaming Medicare and Medicaid. When docs thought selling out to corporate med could make them richer, they quickly did so. In most groups I worked for, the docs drove vehicles that cost more than my annual salary. I'd have a new baby at home and my holiday bonus would be a poinsettia plant. 

Don't be too mad at the corporate folks - they are simply doing what their MBA programs trained them to do. Be mad at the docs that let these people take over the system. And it was all out of greed. 

I think that is an excellent point. These groups were originally physician-led/owned.  Acting as if the big evil equity firms were first on the scene is ignorant.  The docs wanted to get rich just like everyone else. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CAAdmission said:

The number in this article seems shockingly high to me - 40% of female physicians walk away from full-time practice?

https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/why-women-leave-medicine

Within 6 years seems ridiculously fast. I have seen it though recently as both Husband and Wife were doctors, Husband added a few hours, Wife went to part time and it was secondary to kids.

I see it way more within our profession but not 40%

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, CAAdmission said:

The number in this article seems shockingly high to me - 40% of female physicians walk away from full-time practice?

Honestly, I would have thought the # was higher, like 50%. I know very few women 30-50 working full time in EM at this point. 

10 hours ago, CAAdmission said:

yup

it is a somewhat rare thing to find a full time working female doc

almost always I have found men filling the full time roles  

• Administrator
14 hours ago, CAAdmission said:

I walked away from full-time practice. I see patients 20-26 hours per week right now, and I don't know how long it's been since a steady 32+ hours per week.  Much, much nicer on one's inner sense of self, much lower burnout--the extra money isn't worth it.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, rev ronin said:

I walked away from full-time practice. I see patients 20-26 hours per week right now, and I don't know how long it's been since a steady 32+ hours per week.  Much, much nicer on one's inner sense of self, much lower burnout--the extra money isn't worth it.

Same here. 

11 hours ago, ventana said:

yup

it is a somewhat rare thing to find a full time working female doc

almost always I have found men filling the full time roles  

I know it is more rare for men to be part time, However A specialty clinic I recently did contract with was reverse. Young Male physician,, max 32 hrs week. Female PA was full time. The deal was for hospital to hire a NP or PA so the physician could work 3-4 days per week and keep salary via the, now PAs, RVU's and supervision $$. Said physician has a brother physician, in another state apparently doing same thing. My derm provider, female PA, middle aged, works full time, while male physician, middle age, works 3 days per week.  

20 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

I've seen 5+ cases of female EM docs with stay at home husbands who do all or almost all of the child care & other household stuff.  Each of these families found that 1 EM doc income was enough and doing all the family stuff was a full time job.

Yup 300k per year for 13 days of work is decent enough.