It's coming soon...

• Administrator

Per my county EMS department, I should have availability for the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine in 2-3 weeks.  Irony is that's in large part because I'm a volunteer EMT still.  The ED and ICU staffs are getting the same priority, but other healthcare providers in general are in a later wave.

Not sure where we stand in federal food chain but I suspect that our long term care facilities will get prioritized just like others in the nation. 

Unless our patients are willing to get a vaccine AND the providers/nurses, etc get vaccinated - we really won't protect the patients overall.  A vaccine won't make masks go away......

More and more patients are telling me that vaccines are created to control the population as the viruses were man made to kill off certain groups and somehow Bill Gates is the villain in all of this. 

I expect an uphill climb to good population vaccine rates. 

Masks will likely be around for another 18-24 months until vaccines make a dent.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Reality Check 2 said:

More and more patients are telling me that vaccines are created to control the population as the viruses were man made to kill off certain groups and somehow Bill Gates is the villain in all of this. 

Well, there will be some self-correction in the population size if the trend continues.

Tell 'em they don't need to be microchipped if they carry a phone.  They're already being located to within a few feet by e911 technology, even if the phone doesn't have a GPS, and most do.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Reality Check 2 said:

I've been hearing this nonsense as well. I've had two patients this week tell me they believe the vaccine is going to be used as a tracking device. I didn't realize how many insanely stupid people are out there. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 4

In all seriousness, as a student, I'm wondering what you all have found to be effective (if anything) in combatting this type of misinformation?  I have tried a few things including providing data, directly confronting people, trying to find out WHY people think what they think, patiently/gently explaining how things really work, etc....none of it has worked.

I find it truly terrifying that nothing can change these people's minds. It is interesting that when I actually take the time to review information and make sure I have credible sources I am the one who is a sheep, but those who cite "their opinions" or YouTube videos or memes or whatever cannot possibly be wrong. Worse yet, they don't see the danger in what they do and have no regard for what kind of damage their baseless opinions can actually cause.

I don’t understand the rush to vaccinate the elderly in care facilities when they (we?) are the drains on society?  Give it to the HCPs instead.  I also don’t understand the whiny teachers here in Texas thinking that they need to be first line when the districts could return to online teaching.  I know, not everyone has access to internet so open spaced “internet cafes’” for these disadvantaged folks.  It’s all about the cash.  I saw where Dallas ISD is contemplating their own internet network for students.

I plan to be in line when my demographic is allowed to receive the vaccine(s).

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess

48 minutes ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

I don’t understand the rush to vaccinate the elderly in care facilities when they (we?) are the drains on society?  Give it to the HCPs instead.  I also don’t understand the whiny teachers here in Texas thinking that they need to be first line when the districts could return to online teaching.  I know, not everyone has access to internet so open spaced “internet cafes’” for these disadvantaged folks.  It’s all about the cash.  I saw where Dallas ISD is contemplating their own internet network for students.

I plan to be in line when my demographic is allowed to receive the vaccine(s).

No one deserves to die ugly.

Vaccinating the elderly who require constant care protects them from each other, their families and their medical professionals.

Yes, they have life ending diseases and illnesses already but preventing an ugly demise that could take out 10 more with them - YES.

We proved that the cross contact in nursing homes helped make this a pandemic. 

You can't just put a finger in the dam - you have to bolster the whole system. 

If vaccinating the elderly or disabled in homes allows their families to visit and see them to their end - that is humane. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Reality Check 2 said:

No one deserves to die ugly.

Vaccinating the elderly who require constant care protects them from each other, their families and their medical professionals.

Yes, they have life ending diseases and illnesses already but preventing an ugly demise that could take out 10 more with them - YES.

We proved that the cross contact in nursing homes helped make this a pandemic. 

You can't just put a finger in the dam - you have to bolster the whole system. 

If vaccinating the elderly or disabled in homes allows their families to visit and see them to their end - that is humane. 

Their providers?  Fine, vaccinate.  I have an elderly mother in such a facility and frankly, she’d welcome the opportunity to check out regardless the circumstances, as she frequently tells me.  I’ll gladly stay isolated for another couple of months if it means that those who are actually providing a service can get vaccinated first.  After the initial outbreak, and with restrictions limiting access locally, they’re about the safest bunch out there.

2 hours ago, TheFatMan said:

In all seriousness, as a student, I'm wondering what you all have found to be effective (if anything) in combatting this type of misinformation?  I have tried a few things including providing data, directly confronting people, trying to find out WHY people think what they think, patiently/gently explaining how things really work, etc....none of it has worked.

I find it truly terrifying that nothing can change these people's minds. It is interesting that when I actually take the time to review information and make sure I have credible sources I am the one who is a sheep, but those who cite "their opinions" or YouTube videos or memes or whatever cannot possibly be wrong. Worse yet, they don't see the danger in what they do and have no regard for what kind of damage their baseless opinions can actually cause.

One of my truisms in life is you cannot argue an article of faith with facts.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

Seriously not trying to derail this to a philosophical, political thing but Lies are currently a huge political weapon in our country.

In our country there are huge lies about COVID and what it is, what it does, etc as well as vaccines and government control conspiracies.  

Truth and Science are at risk - we can't let them die. 

Just remember that Science is real and keep repeating the Science.

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

Joseph Goebbels:  minister of propaganda for the German Third Reich under Adolf Hitler

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

ugh

I only tell people that I 100% recommend it- will be getting it, and I too am a bit apprehensive of it, but the odds are in my favor to be better off with the vaccine then with out....

that's all, move on.  

those that think it is some big conspiracy I might go on to talk about "why we live longer now then 100 years ago"

Answer is indoor plumbing and vaccines

then I move on...  I no longer debate them, just tell them it is recommended "

GetMeOuttaThisMess

I hope and pray you do not work in geriatrics - your limited experience with your own mother should not be applied to the general population.  

• Like 1