AAMC supports expansion of APC responsibilities

significant shortages in PC and non-PC specialties even adjusting for expansion of APC growth. AAMC notes it will be necessary to expand APC responsibility.

I think their expansion numbers for NPs and PAs, both seem to be double the numbers we have today, which would have NPs at near 500k and us at about 250k, still far behind them.

i think this also shows we are going to need more residency trained PAs given the dearth of specialty trained physicians, EM specifically noted to be suffering significant shortages

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/933068?nlid=136126_544&src=WNL_mdplsfeat_200630_mscpedit_emed&uac=290353DJ&spon=45&impID=2441833&faf=1

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I had three people yesterday ask when they were going to see the doctor.  I told them that I was the only one on site, an md was starting in two weeks, they were more than welcome to wait.  I have plenty of patients who are actually happy with my care, many of them followed me from another clinic.  It was a bit disheartening because I feel like I’m wasting my time.

2 hours ago, thinkertdm said:

I had three people yesterday ask when they were going to see the doctor.  I told them that I was the only one on site, an md was starting in two weeks, they were more than welcome to wait.  I have plenty of patients who are actually happy with my care, many of them followed me from another clinic.  It was a bit disheartening because I feel like I’m wasting my time.

I’m sure many will think I am way to pessimistic, but based on limited public knowledge of various “providers”, I very soon expect it to be” When can I see the doctor or Nurse practitioner? I’d prefer to not see an assistant”. I also realize this is preaching the choir, but hope some of the directors pay attention to the choir get their crap together and actually do something about the absolute need for real title change and staged independence! 

• Like 2

• Administrator
15 hours ago, PACali said:

Sometimes that question would only pop up in the front desk and you won't even notice.  Just ask your medical assistant. 

That's absolutely true.  It's the front desk and MAs jobs to make sure people know they're seeing a PA, what that means, and that they have a choice to reschedule.  I did have one patient walk out of Group Health exam room before I even got in, because they'd been moved from a sick MD to my schedule for the day, when they had specifically waited to talk to an MD, not a PA.  But that was 6+ years ago.

I have always said, there is NOT a shortage of Providers in this country....there is a shortage of places for them to work.

Because we live in a "for profit" medical system, if your clinic is not rolling in the big bucks then it is shut down. It doesn't matter if the people will not have access to medical care.  It's all about the money.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/14/2020 at 1:55 PM, Cideous said:

I have always said, there is NOT a shortage of Providers in this country....there is a shortage of places for them to work.

Because we live in a "for profit" medical system, if your clinic is not rolling in the big bucks then it is shut down. It doesn't matter if the people will not have access to medical care.  It's all about the money.

One way to decrease the shortage of places to work, is to allow PA to have full practice authorities and to start their own practice. Preaching the Choir again lol! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Few thoughts. 
those close to or over retirement age docs  are way more likely to retire right now

we could fill in pcp fields, own practices, run the show with independent practice. I.e. 5 plus yrs experience or fellowship

Change costs $$$$$$

join AAPA.  Your state agency.  Call your reps.  Write letters.  

if nothing else join your state agency and send them 20$ a month to the PAC. (Come on any PA should be able to swing this). You don’t even have to do anything, just donate to those who are trying.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1