UTRGV 2020/2021 APPLICATION CYCLE

On 11/6/2020 at 12:38 PM, Pa98173jd said:

Out of state applicant. ~1600 PCE. GPAs 3.8-3.9. Attended the #1 university for medical science.  Volunteering ~3000. Not impressive but I think I wrote a killer personal statement 

I hope you intended "not impressive" to be sarcastic, haha. That is VERY impressive. GPA... CHECK. Volunteering.... CHECK. Killer PS..... CHECK. (not that applying to PA school and getting in has a guarantee checklist) You're a solid candidate, congrats. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nathaliefuturepa said:

Hi, First time applicant here!

Would any of you who received an interview invite mind sharing your stats and date you were verifiied???

Interview date: 12/04

Verified: 07/30

sGPA: 3.32

Overall GPA: 3.52

GRE: Verbal 162, QR 154, AW 3.5

PA shadowing hrs: 80

HCE: 10000 + hrs

PCE: 0

Misc: Non trad, Age:32, currently an Epidemiologist, Masters in Public Health, 2 publications

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Acceptedpa said:

When you guys emailed to confirm your interview time did you guys receive an email back with a confirmation? I sent my acceptance for the interview date but haven’t heard back with a confirmation email. 

I e-mailed and they responded very quickly to confirm if I was available for an alternate block. They e-mailed the itinerary the next morning which was about two days before the interview date. I would reach out to them if your interview date is less than two days away. They were very friendly and responsive each time. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FuturePANF said:

Would any of you who received an interview invite mind sharing your stats and date you were verifiied???

cgpa 3.9

sgpa 4.0

pce 16,000 

100 volunteer 

175 shadowing or/clinic/hospital pa/md

165 preceptor/leadership 

verified end of July

Edited by Obiwankenobi
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 9:12 AM, FuturePANF said:

Verified 7/20. In state applicant, 3.7 GPA sGPA: 3.7. 10,000+ HCE hours as EMT through FD/UrgentCare/Scribing

25 y/o

Edited by whatsPAppin
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 9:27 AM, ComradeRutera said:

Interview date: 12/04

Verified: 07/30

sGPA: 3.32

Overall GPA: 3.52

GRE: Verbal 162, QR 154, AW 3.5

PA shadowing hrs: 80

HCE: 10000 + hrs

PCE: 0

Misc: Non trad, Age:32, currently an Epidemiologist, Masters in Public Health, 2 publications

Thank you for sharing!! I’m 30, and a non traditional applicant as well.  Your post gave me hope and made my day. Best of luck to you!!

24 minutes ago, 22jul said:

For anyone who has received an interview how are interviews conducted? How long is the interview and is it with different faculty? Thank you so much for the input!

I agree with the other response. I had no idea what I was going into prior and I think it’s only fair to welcome it with open arms. You’ll do great!

I'm nervous about my interview tmrw. I am not sure if to use my computer mic or headphones w/a mic. I made a recording of myself on Zoom testing both out and I will say that the headphones sounded slightly better (more podcaster sound quality) compared with just speaking into my computer. Downside you can see the headphone cords. Does it matter? Should I just go with the device that gives the best voice-over quality?

Yes I wasn’t sure if they had talked about it during the informational session. I attended in July but it’s been so long. Thanks for the input. I just wanted to take the allotted time off so I could prepare mentally lol. I know some schools let us how interviews are conducted but wasn’t sure about UTRGV. 

2 hours ago, ComradeRutera said:

I'm nervous about my interview tmrw. I am not sure if to use my computer mic or headphones w/a mic. I made a recording of myself on Zoom testing both out and I will say that the headphones sounded slightly better (more podcaster sound quality) compared with just speaking into my computer. Downside you can see the headphone cords. Does it matter? Should I just go with the device that gives the best voice-over quality?

They do ask if you need the headphones on because they take pictures of you at the beginning and i'm guessing they don't want the cords to show. But I do think that wired earphones with a mic have better sound quality than bluetooth or no headphones at all. Personally I used wired headphones.

Edited by biancaalonda88

3 hours ago, ComradeRutera said:

Hi! Good luck tomorrow! It's okay to be nervous, but just try to be natural and be your best. I personally have used my laptop mic every time I've interviewed, but use what you feel more comfortable with so you're not worried about that during the actual interview or before even. You got chosen for an interview for a reason, you got this!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ComradeRutera said:

Congrats on your interview invite! I strongly recommend you do a zoom test run with a family or friend before your actual meeting. I did a trial run with my cousin and ran into a few problems. My cousin said my video quality was poor. I asked family members to avoid using the WiFi to ensure I had a good connection and that helped. I tested my mic from my webcam and laptop. The video quality from my webcam was better but the microphone from my laptop was more clear so I changed those settings on Zoom during the trial run. I asked for feedback on how close/far I should have the webcam set up and followed their suggestion. My cousin said he could hear feedback during the trial run. I found that lowering the volume on my laptop to about 44/100 helped reduce the amount of feedback. I also tested some old headphones with a mic just in case I needed to use them. There were a few people in my session that used headphones and it was totally fine. Good luck on your interview! You've got this!

1 hour ago, NepgearxUniVII said:

Are they just not going to say if you’ve been waitlisted? I interviewed in early/ mid November and haven’t heard anything from them? 

From this forum it looks like no one has heard back. I interviewed early November, and I felt like the interview went well.
I think they’re going to keep interviewing and then pick. 100 students is a lot and most schools interview 3-4x as much seats they have to offer. 

From my email prior to my interview they said they will interview until the end of December, but idk if that’s changed.  Who knows. Just gotta be patient for now

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2