UTRGV 2020/2021 APPLICATION CYCLE

1 hour ago, Obiwankenobi said:

I interviewed in November.

Is there any other benefit from the extended program other than it having a smaller class/slower pace? I don’t want to wait to become a PA and spend more time away from family. Unless there was more of an incentive to complete the longer program like getting a doctorate or more clinical sites.

I was accepted to other schools, but the valley is closer to home. I hope I hear back about the regular program or find out more about this extended program. 

First, congratulations! What an amazing accomplishment.

Second, I would strongly consider the enrichment PA program especially if you’re wanting to stay closer to home. Support is going to be crucial during those tough years and if it takes you a year longer to graduate, so be it. You’ll be working your dream job for the rest of your life. But you do have other acceptances (many people don’t have options, let alone 1 acceptance) so I think it would be best to create a pros and cons list to narrow it down. Good luck. 

Edited by pa9701
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Obiwankenobi said:

Is there any other benefit from the extended program other than it having a smaller class/slower pace? I don’t want to wait to become a PA and spend more time away from family. Unless there was more of an incentive to complete the longer program like getting a doctorate or more clinical sites.

I was accepted to other schools, but the valley is closer to home. I hope I hear back about the regular program or find out more about this extended program. 

I’d go through the full program that accepted me. Forget this slow paced program. Like a band aid I’d want to complete ASAP and start paying off loans and life expenses. The world around us isn’t getting cheaper or less stressful. Of course, only if you can handle it. The sooner you’re out of school the sooner you can go out and enrich lives (yours included)!

Edited by PApaJohn

44 minutes ago, PApaJohn said:

I’d go through the full program that accepted me. Forget this slow paced program. Like a band aid I’d want to complete ASAP and start paying off loans and life expenses. The world around us isn’t getting cheaper or less stressful. Of course, only if you can handle it. The sooner you’re out of school the sooner you can go out and enrich lives (yours included)!

I prefer the regular paced program as well. I don’t see any additional benefits to the PAEP, but it was pretty vague in the email. I hear very good things about another program I was accepted to. I just would like to consider the valley since it’s closer to home. I don’t plan on taking out any loans. I’ve worked full time to avoid them. An additional year would add additional expenses that are not necessary unless it was a doctorate program. They said attending this interview would not decrease my chances for the regular program for a waitlist or acceptance. 

Edited by Obiwankenobi

15 hours ago, Obiwankenobi said:

I received a waitlist email on 1/2021 but I have not heard back since. @Obiwankenobiyou also receive a waitlist invite and then the invitation for PAEP? I wish they would just send the final acceptance/rejection so I can just relax and stop checking every 5 minutes for a possible email <.>

2 hours ago, MPASSSSSS said:

I received a waitlist email on 1/2021 but I have not heard back since. @Obiwankenobiyou also receive a waitlist invite and then the invitation for PAEP? I wish they would just send the final acceptance/rejection so I can just relax and stop checking every 5 minutes for a possible email <.>

I haven’t heard back from the regular program. No waitlist or rejection so far, but they said we should know our status by the end of this month. 

10 hours ago, MPASSSSSS said:

What day did you get a waitlist email? I got mine 1/25

On 1/26/2021 at 8:24 AM, MKurian1998 said:

Hi guys! I found this blog post from The Humerus PA that interviews a PA student currently at UTRGV. It looks like she did the PAEP program and got accepted to the UTRGV PA School. She gives a bit more info about it in Question 4. Hope this helps! 

https://www.thehumeruspa.com/blog/10questionswithadrianarodriguez

I got more insight from a current student. It sounds like the program offers less courses and then they interview the student to join the regular PA program. It almost sounds like a trial. I’m going to accept another program I was accepted into. 

Edited by Obiwankenobi
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Obiwankenobi said:

I got more insight from a current student. It sounds like the program offers less courses and then they interview the student to join the regular PA program. It almost sounds like a trial. It makes no sense to me. I have above average stats while working full time (high pce). I don’t know why they’d recommend it. I’m going to accept the other Tx program I was accepted into. 

I hope they offer me this spot lol -- I'm willing to take anything at this point. I'm looking at reapplying for a third time and it's seriously discouraging. 

I'm in a similar position with the PAEP interview in February. I also received the email for the alternate list the next day. I inquired if acceptance into the PAEP would be a direct pipeline into the class of 2024 (assuming successful completion of the two year didactic period). They confirmed yes (it would not require a reapplication).

I also asked if accepted into the PAEP would that remove me from the alternate list for the traditional MPAS, class of 2023, cohort admission. They confirmed it would not remove me from the alternate list. So the way I see it, the PAEP would be a good alternative to completely reapplying next year. Unless you're already accepted elsewhere of course. Good luck everyone!   

4 hours ago, cbinney said:

I'm in a similar position with the PAEP interview in February. I also received the email for the alternate list the next day. I inquired if acceptance into the PAEP would be a direct pipeline into the class of 2024 (assuming successful completion of the two year didactic period). They confirmed yes (it would not require a reapplication).

I also asked if accepted into the PAEP would that remove me from the alternate list for the traditional MPAS, class of 2023, cohort admission. They confirmed it would not remove me from the alternate list. So the way I see it, the PAEP would be a good alternative to completely reapplying next year. Unless you're already accepted elsewhere of course. Good luck everyone!   

I agree if a person wasn’t accepted anywhere else it would be a good idea to accept the interview. It’s better than not being accepted anywhere else. Good luck to you. I’m sure my spot will open up a interview spot for someone !

I just searched the PA class of 2023 facebook and there is a total of 78 members as of today so I'm assuming there is still 22 spots open. Hopefully we hear back soon!!

I hope so too! A lot of the people in that group are current students. So it’s hard to say how many their really are. And then you have to take into account those who maybe don’t use Facebook that have been accepted. 

I just searched the PA class of 2023 facebook and there is a total of 78 members as of today so I'm assuming there is still 22 spots open. Hopefully we hear back soon!!

Just now, pa9701 said:

I hope so too! A lot of the people in that group are current students. So it’s hard to say how many their really are. And then you have to take into account those who maybe don’t use Facebook that have been accepted. 

and on top of that take into account that not everyone in that fb group might actually end up attending UTRGV in the end! sometimes people join after they get an acceptance but end up going somewhere else and don't leave the group until later

• Like 1