Yale University Physician Assistant Program Cycle 2020-2021 (NOT ONLINE)

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to start a thread because I did not see one for Yale (not online). I am going through the supplemental questions right now! Here are the questions. Hope all is going well with everyone's app! If you guys find any helpful videos or links about Yale feel free to share them! They do not do any information sessions which makes it kind of hard because all we have to go by is their website. . . . . 

Kind regards, 

A fellow Pre-PA

1. The Yale PA Program's Mission Statement states: 
The mission of the Yale School of Medicine Physician Associate Program is to educate individuals to become outstanding clinicians and to foster leaders who will serve their communities and advance the physician assistant profession. 
Please explain how you envision fulfilling our Mission as a graduate of the Program.

2. Diversity in all of its forms is valued at the Yale School of Medicine Physician Associate Program. Please describe how your background and experiences will contribute to this important focus and how it will prepare you for a career as a Physician Associate?

3. How have you prepared to enter a program with an emphasis on clinical research? Describe your strengths and areas needing improvement.

4. Why have you chosen to specifically apply to the Yale PA Program?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest mands

Hello!

Applied to Yale in-person and online format (both are tied for my first pick school)! I love, love, love the clinical research portion of this program. Worked in 3 research labs in undergrad, on top of scribing and volunteering. Saying i'm eager to hear back from this school is an understatement 🙂  If I get in here, it's a wrap for waiting on anyone else! 

Guest mands
1 hour ago, ekc5755 said:

Nope, but I would love it if anyone else chimes in

I got an email that they should contact interviewers in Fall. 🙂 However, based on last year, it seems like they started calling people in August! 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mands
On 7/2/2020 at 10:54 PM, hopefulcaliPA24 said:

Does anybody know if Yale uses a pass/no pass grading system?

It's def not mentioned on the website because I have just looked for quite a bit. 

I do want to say though, some information that I did gather is that they extend interviews 1 month prior to the actual interview date. So, that would mean that around August 20-something they will extend it based on last year's interview dates! So we should expect to hear in a little more than a month! 

i'm reading their course descriptions and everything just to hype myself up! I'm really crossing my fingers 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody!

Does anyone have a good feel for whether I would be a competitive applicant coming in with 0 research hours? I LOVE the clinical research component at Yale and wish I had gotten more involved in undergrad, but alas, I did not. I was a genetics major, so I took a load of lab credits if that counts for anything. I've worked in the PACU of a hospital and volunteered in public health since graduating.

GPA: 3.87

sGPA: 3.92

GRE: 317 (163v, 154q)

I just can't decide if it's even worth applying...

Guest mands
On 7/18/2020 at 12:13 PM, Madison56565656 said:

Hello everybody!

Does anyone have a good feel for whether I would be a competitive applicant coming in with 0 research hours? I LOVE the clinical research component at Yale and wish I had gotten more involved in undergrad, but alas, I did not. I was a genetics major, so I took a load of lab credits if that counts for anything. I've worked in the PACU of a hospital and volunteered in public health since graduating.

I don't think lab classes really counts or i'd even reccomend using? Since we all did lab classes for the prereqs, it's not really that unique to just you? Like, you might be able to finesse it during an interview that you did more than the average person with your major, however It could go 2 ways with that - either put a spotlight on the fact you don't have clinical research hours/were in a major where research is just booming yet didn't do it or another way is it could show that you know about lab administration aspect of the program and did your research on their academics... 

Like, when I put out that I had undergraduate research I made sure to include grant writing, IRB drafting, data collection from local schools, data entry, data coding using matlab, symposium presentations, awards - these are things that I feel like are unique to just doing a lab course in a classroom. Like, if you look at their " past clinical research" i'd say a good chunk looks like dry lab, so you won't really be pipetting or doing stuff you did in a biochem lab/ochem II lab. HOWEVER, you may be onto something if you can play your cards right - like if you already know what you'd propose to research and can say why your lab courses have prepared you for it! 🙂 

Your GPA is the BOMB though. We have very similar stats, so keep that in mind. You could win me out at any other program in the country with having public health volunteering, or you could win me out here, who knows - at the end of the day i'm not an admissions counselor. 🙂 

kylie is right about the supplemental though. You would need to explain why - maybe you went to a public research university (like me! I went to a university of california!) so you can say that it was integrated into the education or maybe you took a LOT (not just 1 or 2 intro classes) research & writing courses. For that prompt, on top of naming out what exactly I did (neuroscience, cog sci, and environmental science - 3 different labs), I talked a lot about my scope changed, and how I became advanced in publications, and how my beliefs on various popular research topics changed.

My advice? they will be online at the PAEA fair in 2 days. Make an account and ask! It's free and worst case is they tell you "no" and you still give it a shot?

Guest mands
On 7/17/2020 at 3:40 PM, jparra1 said:

Got an email that upon initial review, the admissions committee realized my official GRE score reports had not been sent 🙄 DO NOT FORGET TO SEND YOUR OFFICIAL SCORE REPORTS! It will delay your application!

OH MY GOSH! THAT MEANS THERE IS MOVEMENTS WITH THE APPLICATIONS IF YOU'RE GETTING AN EMAIL!! EVEN IF A ROBOT IS DOING IT FOR THEM, AHH. 

Guest mands
8 minutes ago, Kylie1020 said:

This is great advice! I went to a UC as well and responded to this prompt similarly. I feel like we would get along haha! I wish you the best of luck 🙂

You know I went IN on all the crazy ideas that UCs push for public research - like, registered reports, open science, and anti-data hacking!! 

Ahh! I hope we both get in, we'll be besties! Best of luck to you too 🙂

Guest mands
On 7/18/2020 at 12:13 PM, Madison56565656 said:

Hello everybody!

Checking in! I asked your question for you at the virtual fair yesterday, if you weren't there! They said that research is not mandatory, but you'd have challenges in writing the supplemental & for the fact that the clinical research component is really heavy on the curriculum (assuming this means that you'd have to learn about it while some other's don't, not impossible, but would be an extra thing to do during PA school if that's what you want) ! So it isn't a no 🙂  Based on this answer, give it a shot, i'd say !

On 7/23/2020 at 4:26 PM, mands said:

Checking in! I asked your question for you at the virtual fair yesterday, if you weren't there! They said that research is not mandatory, but you'd have challenges in writing the supplemental & for the fact that the clinical research component is really heavy on the curriculum (assuming this means that you'd have to learn about it while some other's don't, not impossible, but would be an extra thing to do during PA school if that's what you want) ! So it isn't a no 🙂  Based on this answer, give it a shot, i'd say !

Did they say when they would start sending interview invitations?

Guest mands
18 hours ago, ekc5755 said:

Did they say when they would start sending interview invitations?

They said "fall", but last year's forum says that they started inviting at the end of august :) 

• 2 weeks later...