2020 - 2021 Stony Brook Application Thread

1 hour ago, paulprepa said:

After some reflecting, I decided to retract my interview offer. I know it will go to an amazing candidate who deserves it!!! This school seems phenomenal and was so honored to be offered an interview. Good luck guys! 

Do you mind sharing what made you decide to retract? Please don't respond if you don't feel comfortable sharing, but thought I would ask anyways !

1 hour ago, PABoi said:

Do you mind sharing what made you decide to retract? Please don't respond if you don't feel comfortable sharing, but thought I would ask anyways !

Honestly, I really liked the school  when it comes to quality this school is at the top for me, also I preferred to go to a school in a state other than my home state (AZ). However, I was already accepted to a school in AZ last month and when I got the interview invite for stony brook I started thinking about the pros and cons. With more consideration I realized I have family here in with lots of options for affordable housing here in AZ and the schools were reasonably priced. I felt financially this was more responsible for my personal situation. I also know someone who lived near Stony brook and now lives here in AZ and he helped me describe the differences in the social scene. 

I did apply to tons of other schools because I was afraid of not receiving interview invites, but will continue to weigh out the pros/cons for each school that gives me an interview. Making this decision was difficult but wanted to go with my gut instinct

Edited by paulprepa
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, eamac said:

@paulprepa do you mind sharing your friends thoughts about the area surrounding stony brook? Thanks!

Hi, I live on Long Island and i can tell you that Stony Brook is a really nice town in Suffolk county, very safe. It is close to many beaches on the north shore of LI but a little bit far from NYC but easily accessible by train. The campus is really nice as well and vast but it offers bus service to go around. Hope that answers your question. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, futurepa095 said:

Stats for those who received interview invites?

23 F - first time applicant, first generation 

cgpa: 3.51

sgpa: 3.36

PCE: total 2,900 at time of application ( 5/3)   2,000 as a nurse tech mainly on an oncology unit, but also worked in ICU throughout the height of the pandemic in CT, 720 as a 24hr home aide, 180 volunteering in a small clinic is Argentina

HCE:  320 volunteering in a soup kitchen and a spanish speaking farm teaching health lessons 

Volunteer: 340 at mult. organizations excluding the volunteer hrs I used for PCE and PCE

Research: 480 under two professors, one doing neurological research and the other microbial 

Shadowing: 28 hrs documented, 2 PAs and 1 MD

EC: taught a freshman year experience course, worked 2 non healthcare jobs through college (one of which I was promoted to supervisor), Habitat for Humanity Club, Community Outreach Club, CNA, and BLS certified 

Hope this helps! 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2020 at 12:21 PM, mikaachica said:

23 F - first time applicant, first generation 

cgpa: 3.51

sgpa: 3.36

PCE: total 2,900 at time of application ( 5/3)   2,000 as a nurse tech mainly on an oncology unit, but also worked in ICU throughout the height of the pandemic in CT, 720 as a 24hr home aide, 180 volunteering in a small clinic is Argentina

HCE:  320 volunteering in a soup kitchen and a spanish speaking farm teaching health lessons 

Volunteer: 340 at mult. organizations excluding the volunteer hrs I used for PCE and PCE

Research: 480 under two professors, one doing neurological research and the other microbial 

Shadowing: 28 hrs documented, 2 PAs and 1 MD

EC: taught a freshman year experience course, worked 2 non healthcare jobs through college (one of which I was promoted to supervisor), Habitat for Humanity Club, Community Outreach Club, CNA, and BLS certified 

Hope this helps! 

Great stats! When were you submitted to CASPA for SBU, when was your supplemental submitted? Thanks!!!

On 7/9/2020 at 9:39 AM, eamac said:

@paulprepa do you mind sharing your friends thoughts about the area surrounding stony brook? Thanks!

He loves the area and has nothing negative about the area. He did not really say much but would totally agree with @concertblues, but he knows me really well and said that both options for going to school in AZ or Stonybrook would be great for my preference. Where I live is pretty populated and I like a busy social scene, so I decided I would not mind going to school in my home state for PA school.  This was a very personal choice and I am not sure if it applies to anyone else. I still have anxiety from turning down my interview cause I know the location and school is great at Stonybrook and I was sitting right on the fence on making the decision.

Edited by paulprepa

I already was verified on CASPA for Stony brook and then saw there was a supplemental application. After sending in the supplemental application I got an email confirming they got it and that all I needed to do now was wait to hear back about an interview. People who got that email after submitting their supplemental app how long did it take to hear back about an interview? 

Edited by Jordanna

1 hour ago, caralavecch said:

Hey! Did anyone else not receive confirmation after sending their supplemental? I sent mine back in June but never got a confirmation. I went back to last year's thread, and that seemed normal, but now im wondering if I should reach out if other people are receiving confirmations?

Mine was an automatic response saying consider this the email confirmation the we received you supplemental if that is what you just sent us. This was on 07/04

8 hours ago, caralavecch said:

Hey! Did anyone else not receive confirmation after sending their supplemental? I sent mine back in June but never got a confirmation. I went back to last year's thread, and that seemed normal, but now im wondering if I should reach out if other people are receiving confirmations?

I never got one either, just a receipt for the supplemental app fee