On 4/10/2020 at 9:04 AM, PAapplicant2021 said:

It seems like some schools are waiving the GRE for this cycle or putting in place waivers if your GPA meets a certain standard. I have also found that several programs are being more accepting of online coursework, etc. for this cycle due to the current COVID-19 challenges.

Which schools have you seen this for?

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, bperegr1 said:

Do you guys think that they will be more lenient about shadowing hours? Mine were all suppose to happen at the end of March 😞

Earlier this month I did a PA virtual fair, and there were representatives from CASPA. From what I understand, this year they are making specific area where you can outline how the COVID may have impacted your prep for this cycle. Because you need to realize that so many other people are in the same boat, if it has to do with volunteering, shadowing, even PCE. I believe that many schools will take this into consideration, and some schools have addressed this on their PA program websites also. For specific schools I would recommend you reaching out to them directly. 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 10:04 AM, PAapplicant2021 said:

It seems like some schools are waiving the GRE for this cycle or putting in place waivers if your GPA meets a certain standard. I have also found that several programs are being more accepting of online coursework, etc. for this cycle due to the current COVID-19 challenges.

What schools have waived the GRE!? 

On 4/10/2020 at 10:04 AM, PAapplicant2021 said:

Where have you found on if the GRE will be waived or not? I had to reschedule mine that would've been two weeks ago into June. 

• 3 weeks later...

You would have to check your program's admission website individually to see if they waived any requirements. I also believe that CASPA will have second optional essay with a prompt along the lines of "How has the COVID-19 pandemic impacted your pathway to becoming a PA?" and is either 500 or 1000 characters (I've heard both). Good luck everyone!

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 8:45 AM, secondroundbestround said:

Is anyone thinking about applying to PA/MPH duel programs? If so- what are some pros/cons? Let's discuss! 

I thought quite a bit about doing one of these programs and it's my opinion that unless you can do the curriculum's simultaneously, it's not worth it. The reasoning behind this opinion is that you usually have to take an extra year to complete the MPH and potential income opportunities could be limited if you're attending in person, the extra degree doesn't really add any income potential for new grads and most people are going to start out in clinical positions that don't necessary utilize the info from a MPH. Of course the MPH degree is great and can broaden your perspective of healthcare but I think it's a better financial decision to do the PA degree first, get out and start making money and pay down loans and then do the MPH online when your career trajectory is more in line with actually using the MPH degree. On the other hand, I think it is easier to get into a PA program if you're doing the dual degree depending on the program and if you apply separately to MPH and PA programs (most schools say this is not the case but schools also say no preference for in state students and some very clearly do based on the breakdown of their classes) 

Hi all. I had a scheduled GRE test in March, and ETS asked me to rescheduled it. I was supposed to take it yesterday (may 9th). However, when I arrived at the testing center, the sign on the door said all exams were cancelled. No one at ETS told us anything about this, and on ETS website my testing status was still listed as "scheduled". I asked ETS about it, and they said the reason why it is listed "scheduled", is because I can "reschedule" it (either I don't understand English or this just doesn't make sense...) There is only one place in the entire New York State that's available, and none of the dates work for me because I work in the hospital. All the schools still require GRE before their deadlines, and I'm feeling really hopeless. Should I still keep applying for this cycle? 

On 5/3/2020 at 8:45 AM, secondroundbestround said:

Is anyone thinking about applying to PA/MPH duel programs? If so- what are some pros/cons? Let's discuss! 

I will be starting PA school this fall, so not a current applicant. 

I applied and was given early acceptance to GWU's dual degree program last year, largely recognized for as one of the best dual degree programs in the nation for it's connections to policy and epidemiology resources in D.C. And I turned it down.

At first, I was SO excited about this option. I love stats and sociology and the thought of being able to push community research forward was a personal passion. 

But - that comes with an enormous price tag and barely any bump in salary. I am going instead to the University of Iowa (a #1 ranked program) and saving well over 50k. I talked to soooo many dual degree grads who said it was not worth the debt. 

The *only* reason I would say this is a good idea is if you KNOW that you want to work a job that REQUIRES an MPH degree, like the CDC. 

I am not in any way saying that PAs should not get dual degrees. But I personally think the wisest way is to get it after while you work. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure if anyone has answered this but I'm working on adding my prerequisite courses in for schools. I am currently in biochemistry and I have already taken organic chemistry. For schools that require biochem or orgo, is it better to put your class that is completed or your class that is in progress? I anticipate a better grade in biochem but not sure if I should just put orgo in as the prereq since it is already a completed course?

Thanks!!