Normal or Abnormal EKG?

Even though I've posted this before it might be new to someone else.  If I and AVF are both positive you have a normal axis.  If I is positive and AVL is negative you have a LAD.  If lead II is then negative in this setting there is also a fascicular block.  If I and AVF are both negative then you have a RAD.  Don't forget to know what a normal QT interval is.  I never looked at the machine interpretation until I had read it myself just because I didn't trust the machine.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess

3 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

You’re just arguing semantics.

I disagree.  In order to determine whether or not there has been an interval change, one would need to compare the current study to one done previously.  An interval change has nothing to do with comparing it to a normal study.  Someone could have a right bundle branch block on a current study and, if I pull one from six months ago, and it was there as well, then I can declare "No interval change."   Without a baseline/prior ECG, one should not be making such a statement.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PickleRick said:

I disagree.  In order to determine whether or not there has been an interval change, one would need to compare the current study to one done previously.  An interval change has nothing to do with comparing it to a normal study.  Someone could have a right bundle branch block on a current study and, if I pull one from six months ago, and it was there as well, then I can declare "No interval change."   Without a baseline/prior ECG, one should not be making such a statement.

Given your example, I believe you are reading interval as “inbetween this time and last” when I mean there is no alteration of the PR, QT intervals from normal, not that the study is unchanged from prior. If that was the original point, then I apologize we had a miscommunication. 

• Upvote 1

Given your example, I believe you are reading interval as “inbetween this time and last” when I mean there is no alteration of the PR, QT intervals from normal, not that the study is unchanged from prior. If that was the original point, then I apologize we had a miscommunication. 

This is what I meant as well. Last ECG compared to this one. Thanks Pickle (Dill, I hope).

46 minutes ago, ventana said:

anyone else notice ? Q wave in III and poor Rwave progression

remember that EKG does not rule out ACS

inthat patient - female, obese, would need trop to rule out ACS

Our EP advised the group that as long as R>S (PRWP) by V4 then we were ok in the absence of pathologic findings otherwise and we weren't concerned about ischemia.

On 9/14/2019 at 12:39 PM, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

Even though I've posted this before it might be new to someone else.  If I and AVF are both positive you have a normal axis.  If I is positive and AVL is negative you have a LAD.  If lead II is then negative in this setting there is also a fascicular block.  If I and AVF are both negative then you have a RAD.  Don't forget to know what a normal QT interval is.  I never looked at the machine interpretation until I had read it myself just because I didn't trust the machine.

By "have a LAD" do you mean in the presence of a STEMI in the anterior leads when I is positive and aVL is negative?  I'd love for you to parse this out for me as I've never heard this.

Edited by MedicinePower

Of course, we need to hear the clinical presentation and this female presents with a cardiac complaint therefore we need to look at this EKG and also at whatever cardiac labs we are ordering to check for inconsistencies. I see a fairly normal EKG with NSR, No Ischemia, No depressions of the T wave , good progression and a r wave that seems high but this may be due to her heavy chest wall. Without any other signs or symptoms I probably would reassure her and have her return to the ER if these symptoms return or worsen and then be followed by cardiology.

8 hours ago, MedicinePower said:

By "have a LAD" do you mean in the presence of a STEMI in the anterior leads when I is positive and aVL is negative?  I'd love for you to parse this out for me as I've never heard this.

We're talking a positive, or upright R wave, when assessing the axis as PickRick pointed out.  You are taught the the correct way to determine the axis is to find the most equiphasic limb lead and then look at the lead 90 degrees to it and determine if it is positive or negative and that will give you the axis.  This is just a quick shortcut.