Rutgers 2019-2020 Application Cycle

Hi everyone!

Applied 5/21/19 (verified 5/22/19). Got an interview request on 6/19/2019. Will be interviewing on 8/6/2019! Super excited. 

Bachelor of Science in Nutrition Science (graduated May 2018), Master of Public Health in Chronic Disease Epidemiology (expected graduation May 2020)

cGPA - 3.92

sGPA - 3.88

PCE - 1070 (combination of clinical research, medical mission trips to Honduras, medical mission trip to India, and working with uninsured/undocumented patients at our local free clinic)

HCE - 1700 (volunteering as a patient aide with two large medical centers and volunteered at American Red Cross)

Research - 1040 (worked in two research labs in undergraduate and a summer research internship in India. This does not include my hours from clinical research as they were considered patient care)

Shadowing - 196 hours. (4 PAs, 1 NP, and 4 MDs. Specialties include dermatology, breast oncology, OB/GYN, urology, internal medicine, and family medicine)

Wishing everyone the best of luck this application cycle! 

Edited by jyk38pa

7 hours ago, palee24 said:

Submitted May 22 and received May 23. Haven't heard anything else, maybe a rejection since others already got interviews with similar submission times. 3.96cgpa+3.96sgpa 1,020hrs MA.

I got a formal rejection, so hearing nothing is not that. 

10 hours ago, Lynn96981 said:

@Leah37 I'm sorry to hear about the rejection. I saw your stats on the first page and thought WOW you got it going on. Do you have any idea why you may have gotten rejected?

Not really sure. My only thought is that none of my clinical experience had recognizable titles. Most of it was from a half volunteer half paid clinical research position, so I am guessing they did not accept it?

6 hours ago, Leah37 said:

Not really sure. My only thought is that none of my clinical experience had recognizable titles. Most of it was from a half volunteer half paid clinical research position, so I am guessing they did not accept it?

Dang, that doesn't seem like a great reason. What was your personal statement about, if you don't mind me asking. I've heard from many resources that the PS is one of the biggest factors besides GPA and requirements of course.

2 hours ago, Lynn96981 said:

Dang, that doesn't seem like a great reason. What was your personal statement about, if you don't mind me asking. I've heard from many resources that the PS is one of the biggest factors besides GPA and requirements of course.

I wrote about growing up in a community with poor access to healthcare, how I decided to become a PA (and why PA specifically), and about my experiences while working in a healthcare setting. Fairly standard I think. 

Thought I'd share my stats and see if anyone else will be at my interview!

Rutgers confirmed my application on 6/4

Interview invite 6/12

my interview date is August 6th!

Per CASPA:

cumulative GPA 3.89

science GPA 3.91

I have about 2,000 hours of experience split between being a CNA at a nursing home and a medical scribe in a ER, now I am working as a dermatology tech and MA in a dermatology and skin surgery office

about 140 hours HCE as an intern in a neurology clinic

Shadowed 56 hours with a primary care PA

various random volunteer experiences

1 hour ago, bam7dy said:

Anyone get an interview with outstanding prerequisites? I’m trying to decide if I should apply now or wait until the end of summer when I finish A&P. 

I submitted my application on 6/6 and was verified by 6/13. I just got an email for an interview this morning, and I am also currently taking A&P over the summer. My advice is that you definitely apply sooner, even with the outstanding pre-requisites. 

On 6/21/2019 at 4:47 PM, Leah37 said:

I wrote about growing up in a community with poor access to healthcare, how I decided to become a PA (and why PA specifically), and about my experiences while working in a healthcare setting. Fairly standard I think. 

Yeah I mean that sounds pretty standard. I'm sure with your stats though you will have plenty of interviews from other places. Best of luck to you 🙂

On 6/20/2019 at 11:12 AM, jyk38pa said:

Hi everyone!

Applied 5/21/19 (verified 5/22/19). Got an interview request on 6/19/2019. Will be interviewing on 8/6/2019! Super excited. 

Bachelor of Science in Nutrition Science (graduated May 2018), Master of Public Health in Chronic Disease Epidemiology (expected graduation May 2020)

cGPA - 3.92

sGPA - 3.88

PCE - 1070 (combination of clinical research, medical mission trips to Honduras, medical mission trip to India, and working with uninsured/undocumented patients at our local free clinic)

HCE - 1700 (volunteering as a patient aide with two large medical centers and volunteered at American Red Cross)

Research - 1040 (worked in two research labs in undergraduate and a summer research internship in India. This does not include my hours from clinical research as they were considered patient care)

Shadowing - 196 hours. (4 PAs, 1 NP, and 4 MDs. Specialties include dermatology, breast oncology, OB/GYN, urology, internal medicine, and family medicine)

Wishing everyone the best of luck this application cycle! 

Congrats on the interview!!  I also got an interview request on 6/19 but I haven't received my date yet and got super worried when I saw your post. Did you email them when you received the request? 

2 minutes ago, Lynn96981 said:

Congrats on the interview!!  I also got an interview request on 6/19 but I haven't received my date yet and got super worried when I saw your post. Did you email them when you received the request? 

Hi, thank you so much! I just waited until they contacted me with a date. I wouldn’t be too worried since they’re probably just sorting out the date for everyone. You have the interview request so your interview date should be coming along very soon! 🙂 Best of luck to you when you do interview.