Telehealth work

I have been contacted by a recruiting firm for a telehealth job. So far, I don’t know any further details regarding the work. I have an interview in a week. I’m a new grad and since I don’t know anyone who works in this modality, I thought I’d ask... what do you guys know about telehealth? What are your thoughts about it, especially for a new grad? Thank you!

• Administrator

I can't imagine it would be a remotely good idea for a new grad--it'd be like locums, only worse.  Instead of having a bunch of disinterested people who couldn't care less about you whom you MIGHT bounce things off of... you'd be working with... whom, exactly?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I do tele triage as my per diem gig. For reference, I had about 4 years as a hospitalist PA prior to starting this gig on the side. There is definitely a learning curve because you have to determine: a)do they need the ER? b) can they go to UC instead? c) can they monitor at home and follow up later. I am used to managing heart failure, rapid afib, etc but when you cannot see the patient and perform an exam, get labs---it is very easy to become extremely conservative and lump people into a and b, and that was with 4 years experience in a hospital setting.

I love the gig now because it's fairly easy and I can safely triage, but I cannot imagine the anxiety it would cause if this was my first job out of school. No  thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, rookiejay said:

Im looking for this kind of work, how did you find it? 

I submitted an application for an advertised position and then went in for a video interview. The company that recruits is called On Time Talent Solutions, look them up and see if they’re interviewing in your area. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 5/12/2019 at 2:25 AM, SamthePA said:

I do tele triage as my per diem gig. For reference, I had about 4 years as a hospitalist PA prior to starting this gig on the side. There is definitely a learning curve because you have to determine: a)do they need the ER? b) can they go to UC instead? c) can they monitor at home and follow up later. I am used to managing heart failure, rapid afib, etc but when you cannot see the patient and perform an exam, get labs---it is very easy to become extremely conservative and lump people into a and b, and that was with 4 years experience in a hospital setting.

I love the gig now because it's fairly easy and I can safely triage, but I cannot imagine the anxiety it would cause if this was my first job out of school. No  thanks. 

I'm wondering if you are still doing this type of work, and if you don't mind PM some info. I work in an ER for 5 yrs, and looking to cushion myself as I feel I lost job security with my current employer and this pandemic.

NO - not for anyone but the highly experienced provider

very hard to read into these conversations, and the loss in info to process due to trying to do things on a screen or over the phone is difficult to overcome

New grads needs help, mentoring, back up and you will get none of that on a phone line....

• Like 1