Anyone ever work with no radiology reads

We always read our own images, usually same day the imaging is done then later compare to the "final Radiology read."  (It may take a couple of days for a Radiology read.)  At times, we request the Radiologist consider an addendum to their report however that is not a frequent occurrence.   We have an excellent Neuroradiologist on staff that we can query for any concerns.

4 hours ago, Cideous said:

ahh yea for almost 10 years in the early 2000's

Sorry I'm not trying to be onnoxious. I currently view all my own images as well, but I get a final report on every image within 48 hours. This practice gets no radiology read.... I don't know how long it would take for me to get comfortable with that.

42 minutes ago, ravenspac said:

Sorry I'm not trying to be onnoxious. I currently view all my own images as well, but I get a final report on every image within 48 hours. This practice gets no radiology read.... I don't know how long it would take for me to get comfortable with that.

I agree this would make me uncomfortable not getting an official read at some point. We read all our own plain films at night but have an official read within 24 hrs max. 

1 hour ago, BirdDogPA said:

I agree this would make me uncomfortable not getting an official read at some point. We read all our own plain films at night but have an official read within 24 hrs max. 

ditto. I can get a stat read on a plain film anytime I need one by calling the on call radiology service, who normally only reads CTs and u/s after hrs

7 hours ago, nixietink said:

I work in an ortho practice with no radiology read. I ask my SP if I have any concerns.

how long did you work there before you felt comfortable. I dont remember the last time I looked at an xray that wasnt a CXR. I look at CT and PETCT's daily, MRI's primarily of the brain...but looking at plain films is seems like greek to me right now

Every shift.  I work in UC.  We send out chest xrays in folks >40 or smokers, any worker's comp complaint and any injury related to an MVA.  Otherwise we read all of our own images.  For internal quality control, the clinician over reads all images done the previous day (so there are 2-3 sets of eyes put on every xray).  We do have the option to send out any xray we are uncertain about but to be honest the radiology group we use sucks and I don't trust a thing they say.  Lol. 

Worked in a RHC for years that shot x-rays and had no send out. They finally quit because of the liability concerns. I worked in a critical access hospital where we read our own films and they were read by radiology within 24 hours. Now I work in a big system UC and we get rad reports in about 15 minutes most of the time.

Remember back around 2000 there was no digital X-Ray.  A wet read was actually....wet, because it had just came out of the developer.  All over-reads had to be packaged up and mailed to an off site radiologist who would read the film at home, dictate a read and mail all the films back.  And it was VERY expensive.  Hence, only a few CXR's were ever overread.

I work in Ortho and review all my own plain films. The benefit of having in house x-ray is billing for the interpretation so if we sent them off to a radiologist I would lose 10's of thousands a year of revenue.

At first I have my SP look at any x-ray that wasn't normal. Now I only show him the ones that we will be operating on, and even then not all if they are pretty straight forward fracture it arthritis type of case. I rarely ask for his interpretation and mostly it's a "look at this nasty fracture", or "this arthritis doesn't look too bad but the patient has failed conservative treatment and wants arthroplasty". Took me about a year or 16 months to be comfortable.

When in doubt I am sending for a CT scan or MRI anyways and those obviously are interprated by rads.

Archived