VIRGINIA: EVMS CASPA Cycle for the Class of 2022

On 2/8/2019 at 8:27 AM, medic1210 said:

For anyone that is a second time applicant, what were your stats the first time through and what are they the second round? What did you improve upon?

I am a second time applicant.

Stats 1st time: Prereq GPA: 3.75, Last 40 credits: 3.55, PCE: about 7K hours, volunteer: about 500 hours

Stats 2nd time: Prereq GPA: 4.0, Last 40 credits: 3.68, PCE: about 9K hours, volunteer: 500 hours

I retook prereqs that I had Bs in to get straight As. I also took extra classes to get As which raised my last 40 credits GPA. Subsequently, an extra year allowed me to gain more PCE and volunteer hours.

Edited by FuturePA2022
Updated GPA Calculations to match EVMS.

2 hours ago, FuturePA2022 said:

I am a second time applicant.

Stats 1st time: Prereq GPA: 3.75, Last 40 credits: 3.62, PCE: about 7K hours, volunteer: about 500 hours

Stats 2nd time: Prereq GPA: 4.0, Last 40 credits: 3.83, PCE: about 9K hours, volunteer: 500 hours

I retook prereqs to get straight As and raised my GPAs. Subsequently, an extra year allowed me to gain more PCE and volunteer hours.

What do you think was your greatest weakness that kept you from acceptance? Your initial stats were very solid. Did you receive an interview?

I did not receive an interview. I reached out to the adcom. They said I was super close to getting an interview but it’s just so competitive that I didn’t make the cut. Lots of people had 4.0s and I wasn’t anywhere near that with my GPAs the first time around. My greatest weakness was that my GPAs weren’t competitive enough. 

I did not receive an interview. I reached out to the adcom. They said I was super close to getting an interview but it’s just so competitive that I didn’t make the cut. Lots of people had 4.0s and I wasn’t anywhere near that with my GPAs the first time around. My greatest weakness was that my GPAs weren’t competitive enough. 

That’s rough. Sorry about that first round. 

This next go you should be spot on. Both your GPAs are in line with or above the average for matriculating students. Hope to see you there. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kes1123 said:

Does anywhere on the website or CASPA calculate your last 40 credits GPA or did you all calculate them yourself? I calculated mine using a website, but was wondering if EVMS ever releases what they officially calculated for it. 

Calculated them myself though it actually came out to my last 40.5 or 41.5 credits I believe. I’m not sure that is spot on accurate but the classes that make up my last forty credits actually add up to 40.5 I believe. Not sure how you would adjust or correct to 40 credits. 

Update: I emailed admissions to ask this question. I will get back to you with an answer as soon as I get a response. 

Edited by medic1210
Updated

Update to my question RE: last 40 replacement GPA. 

Received an an email that stated they utilized my last 43 credits and my GPA is 3.51. That’s lower than my competitive 3.87 GPA. I’m not sure how they determined using my last 43 and not my last 40.5. I’ve emailed them to ask about this. There is now a good chance I won’t be interviewing if this stays as is. 

57 minutes ago, medic1210 said:

Update to my question RE: last 40 replacement GPA. 

Received an an email that stated they utilized my last 43 credits and my GPA is 3.51. That’s lower than my competitive 3.87 GPA. I’m not sure how they determined using my last 43 and not my last 40.5. I’ve emailed them to ask about this. There is now a good chance I won’t be interviewing if this stays as is. 

Wait... so they personally calculated your last 43 credits for you? Also, that is odd that there is such a difference in the GPAs. Who did you email? I am going to reach out also...

Wait... so they personally calculated your last 43 credits for you? Also, that is odd that there is such a difference in the GPAs. Who did you email? I am going to reach out also...

They told me to contact CASPA and CASPA told me contact my program. So EVMS is pushing this up the administrative ladder so to speak. I know for a fact what my last 40 credits are and I know for a fact what my GPA in that timeframe calculated to 3.8686. 

I would hold off on reaching out until I get an answer and pass it back to you. 

• Like 1

I did prepare a letter with a table outlining my last forty credits including course ID, title, institution, semester, credits, grade, and quality points. I then documented my calculations and resultant GPA which is 3.87. I also included background on the email correspondence today.

I am hoping they remedy this without need for the letter because I don't want to be pretentious or a PITA but 3.51 and 3.87 are drastically different and I know darn well what my last forty credits consisted of. Maybe I would just send the table.

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, FuturePA2022 said:

I would send the table. Better safe than sorry. Others can easily make errors so I think that’s its great that you’re being proactive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea. I am trying to be proactive. I really don't want to spend an extra year in my current position. I love what I do and where I work with regards to the patients I serve, but the actual role has become suffocating and as a paramedic, we have little mobility or opportunity for decent pay.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

EVMS had a replacement GPA of 3.47. I spoke with them directly and explained the discrepancy. They found an error on CASPA’s end and corrected my GPA to 3.87 for my last 40.5. They were terrific in working with and addressing the issue. 

Please do not inundate them with calls. They are addressing the issue to make sure nobody else has a similar experience. They are working on it currently as they’re now aware of the problem. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, medic1210 said:

UPDATE:

EVMS had a replacement GPA of 3.47. I spoke with them directly and explained the discrepancy. They found an error on CASPA’s end and corrected my GPA to 3.87 for my last 40.5. They were terrific in working with and addressing the issue. 

Please do not inundate them with calls. They are addressing the issue to make sure nobody else has a similar experience. They are working on it currently as they’re now aware of the problem. 

Late to the party here. Was anyone else contacted about how their GPA was calculated? I only got an email letting me know my application was completed, nothing about how GPA was calculated. 

UPDATE 2.0

so we struck middle ground.

CASPA did make a mistake. But I did as well. So nobody needs to worry about their GPA. Stand down, lol. 

One of my schools used QUARTER CREDITS without clearly stating they did so. Because of this I only had 39 credits and the last class used to make my 40 was a 4 credit F. So here are my updated stats:

Replacement: 3.51

Prerequisite: 3.83

HCE: > 25k

Unfortunately the replacement GPA will possibly kill my shot at an interview or acceptance. So here we are. Dejected. But I was told “trust the process” and not count myself out. I’m hoping my decade plus of caring for others can outweigh a 3.51 *sigh*

Edited by medic1210

1 hour ago, thegrayprepa said:

@medic1210 I am so glad you were able to fix the error to your benefit. I wouldn't count myself out of the running at all.

I haven't received anything yet other than the email stating my application is complete. I assume I will in the coming months. I also had quarter semesters so I hope I inputed them correctly! Eeeek!

Just double check your stuff. You should be okay. 

And thank you. It was a big hit to my GPA but I’m not sure it will eliminate me. Question is does anyone with a 3.51 replacement GPA get interviews? 

39 minutes ago, whink3870 said:

In the 2016-2017 application cycle I had a replacement GPA of 3.56 and was not offered an interview. My prerequisites were lower than yours (3.62). EVMS places a strong emphasis community and values volunteer work (medical or other) on their applications. I had over 600 self reported hours as a youth soccer coach. I also had 4.5k hours HCE. 

With all that said I was told my GPA was the biggest factor holding me back from being offered an interview and that there were just more academically competitive students than me. Every application cycle is different. 

I’m not sure if that makes me feel better or worse but I appreciate the input. 

I assume they score each part of the application and if a certain cutoff or threshold is met, an interview is granted. I’m hoping my time as a medic, flight medic, and ED tech/medic along with volunteer, research, leadership, and teaching experience will push me at least to the interview. 

I was told today “trust the process” and that’s what I’m going to do. 

• Like 1

I hope this cycle is going well for everyone! I'm wondering if anyone was notified or alerted about their casper test being received by EVMS, or how that ultimately gets paired up with one's application. I took the test several months prior to submitting my actual CASPA application, but never got an alert saying it got to where it needed to go. Is anyone able to shine a light on this? Thanks!

4 hours ago, mrhandshake said:

I hope this cycle is going well for everyone! I'm wondering if anyone was notified or alerted about their casper test being received by EVMS, or how that ultimately gets paired up with one's application. I took the test several months prior to submitting my actual CASPA application, but never got an alert saying it got to where it needed to go. Is anyone able to shine a light on this? Thanks!

You should receive an email that shows all requirements that were met including the Casper test. 

• Like 1