Cardiology Job offer...yeah, no

What do ya'll think about this offer in South florida..

Cardiology w/ 2+ years experience, working in office and also rounding in hospital, hours 7;30-5;30 M-F, on call every 4 weeks (doesn't specify what that entails)

75,000-85,000$ depending on experience, 4 weeks PTO and 1 week CME w/ paid registration and travel expenses. "Other" benefits as well. With a "Bonus opportunity".

Sounds kinda low for an experienced PA working 50 hours and taking call right? Even with the "bonus opportunity"...

8 hours ago, d-wade said:

According to the salary report it's on the higher end, no? 

I never trust Salary reports.  Fact is most if not all FT Urgent Care jobs pay in the mid $120's, and the ER guys usually make $5-10/hr more then us.   They should easily be around $140k.  Again, if it is in a competitive market then all bets are off.  Jobs for PA's and NP's are becoming VERY competitive in the more desirable places to live.  It's always been that way in places like San Diego, but now with the massive proliferation of PA and NP programs it has spread to most big cities.  As I have pointed out many times on other threads, DFW is one of the worst right now.

22 minutes ago, quietmedic said:

120K is pretty much absolute ceiling for ER/UC in NYC area.

Standard PA starting pay in NYC is 75K-85K.  Took me 5 years to surpass that.

Hard to tell in your case but depends on the market. 

Not true at all. I do urgent care part time in the city, get paid $75/hr. Some of the students i was a preceptor for are starting at ~105k for ER/UC. Some of my fellow colleagues are doing ER with 10+ yrs experience and are at around 150k. People exaggerate and say NYC salary is low, but I've worked in NJ, Maryland, and Connecticut, and NY seems to be on the higher end. 

1 hour ago, quietmedic said:

120K is pretty much absolute ceiling for ER/UC in NYC area.

Standard PA starting pay in NYC is 75K-85K.  Took me 5 years to surpass that.

Hard to tell in your case but depends on the market. 

not true, average is 75 - 100 dollars an hour for UC in nyc

5 hours ago, NJPL1213 said:

Not true at all. I do urgent care part time in the city, get paid $75/hr. Some of the students i was a preceptor for are starting at ~105k for ER/UC. Some of my fellow colleagues are doing ER with 10+ yrs experience and are at around 150k. People exaggerate and say NYC salary is low, but I've worked in NJ, Maryland, and Connecticut, and NY seems to be on the higher end. 

Again...how many hours?  40 hrs a week in a busy ED can be a killer.  $75/hr = $150K a year at 40 hrs a week, but only $135K a year at 36 hrs a week, and $120K @ 32 hrs/week (which is becoming more sustainable in EM)

On 4/16/2018 at 7:51 PM, JMPA said:

not true, average is 75 - 100 dollars an hour for UC in nyc

Not in my experience, and UC in NYC is my experience. Maaaaybe 75 in a high end place or short-term locums or per diem.  100, not even in your dreams. Nobody is paying PAs 180,000 a year for urgent care in NYC, not even close. Where are you basing this on?

i currently work UC in NYC, have many acquaintances who also work UC, any pay that is lower is foolish do to the high risk and COL. Do you realize that one only needs to see 2 patients a day for UC to be profitable?

21 hours ago, JMPA said:

i currently work UC in NYC, have many acquaintances who also work UC, any pay that is lower is foolish do to the high risk and COL. Do you realize that one only needs to see 2 patients a day for UC to be profitable?

2 patients per day? There is no way that is true. I hope you meant 2 patients per hour which I could believe to a degree. In my neck of the woods, it is more like 4-5 patients per hour to be profitable. Due to the high medicaid that pay $0.70 cents on the $1.00 for everything. So, if I did a $500 office visit or a $50 office visit I get paid $71.49 per medicaid patients. On my non-rural health days, I get paid fee for service that fee is $31.59 plus procedure/xrays/splint extra and well child exams pay me $13.38 per child! 

On 4/24/2018 at 1:34 PM, camoman1234 said:

2 patients per day? There is no way that is true. I hope you meant 2 patients per hour which I could believe to a degree. In my neck of the woods, it is more like 4-5 patients per hour to be profitable. Due to the high medicaid that pay $0.70 cents on the $1.00 for everything. So, if I did a $500 office visit or a $50 office visit I get paid $71.49 per medicaid patients. On my non-rural health days, I get paid fee for service that fee is $31.59 plus procedure/xrays/splint extra and well child exams pay me $13.38 per child! 

we dont do well exams at my place, you sound like you are working fp or pc not uc. uc billing is much different, somebody is misleading you. minimum of 2 patients a day takes us out of the red

6 hours ago, JMPA said:

we dont do well exams at my place, you sound like you are working fp or pc not uc. uc billing is much different, somebody is misleading you. minimum of 2 patients a day takes us out of the red

I have worked in UC for at least 1 year and fixing to start a new PRN position at a UC. I still don't believe it unless I have proof. That means u are getting $1000 a patient at least to cover you the nurse the front desk, lab tech, radiology tech, office manager for the bare minimum... I have not did the numbers but off the top of my head PAs make at least $500 + per 12 he shift. Not including anyone else that works at that facility... and you have to think of insurance for you, the building, water/electric bill, tree trimming, computers, EHR, lawn care, snow remvoal, maintenance man, materials, etc the list goes on...

Archived