Supplemental Income

My supervising physician does quite a bit out outside work including Independent Medical Exams, chart review for insurance companies (done online at home), surveys, etc. Are there opportunities for PAs to do similar type work? I’m looking for a way to supplement my income and from what he says, I could do well for myself if I found a good side gig. Not sure how to get involved with such things and would appreciate your opinion/advice. 

Thanks!

I sell drugs.  I'm a friendly dealer, I stopped carrying a gun and I always give extra to get more customers... 

I do UC and Rural ER aside from my primary specialty of CV Surgery.  And I also pimp myself out to other hospitals for EVH and EAH for CV Surgery.

Word of caution, if you start making good money with the additional income, just be smart with it. 

I did medical reviews for law suits involving PAs for a bit. It is hard to get established and work is sporadic but it was pretty easy and could be done on  my own time or even during slow times at work.

Given we are a system of UC centers there is always extra work if I need it. I am always looking for something that doesn't involve direct patient care.

9 hours ago, mmiller3 said:

Like most others, UC is the best way to earn extra money that I have found. A lot of the local community colleges have openings for PAs teaching A&P, but I haven't looked into it, so I am not sure what they pay and if it is worth it.

Colleges, especially community colleges, pay squat.  I was offered $3k to teach a freshman a&p course.  Estimated 9 hours a week teaching/grading/feedback, x 16 weeks =144 hours....so about $21/hr.

• 4 months later...

Since people may search this out...you can look into MyImpactNetwork.com. Website is in dire need of update but you sign up and can get an iPhone, iPad (keep it after 1 year of survey completion) AND get $75 a month. I choose to use my device and I get $125 and its the 12th of every month. This works. All you do is download the app and they tell you which two days you log activity. You simply log the patient diagnosis, age, insurance, medication. They sell this information to pharmaceutical companies concerning your prescribing habits. Its an easy $125 a month or $75 a month and free iPad. 

I did per diem EVH for a small hospital in upstate NY where I made $200/hr for a 2 hour job. I would harvest the conduit and then leave immediately after. They only did this as they’d were in the process of hiring full time. 

Many opportunities for per diem urgent care. I also lectured at various PA programs, paid me $100 per lecture. It was usually a 2-3 hour lecture and it took time to drive up and set up, so money wasn’t that great but I enjoyed doing it anyway. 

Currently as a part time gig 2x per week I work in a pharm company logistics analysis division, where I would help analyze drug prescribing trends and motives. Company is trying to persuade me to get my MBA and become director, might do it in the future but as of right now not my priority. 

• Administrator

I have two part time jobs that could be about 1.5 FTE if I wanted them to be (I don't; each has it's plusses and minuses and I love the mix), but I make my extra money as a volunteer fire officer and EMT instructor/evaluator.  Between the two of them, that's going to be almost $10k this year.

per diem #1 - outpatient rehab with an acute detox - money gig - close to $100/hr as unbenefited employee 

per diem #2 - doing military evals for readiness (have signed up but yet to do) about $450 per day

per diem #3 - free clinic - free - 50min drive away, different state so I pay all my licenses sutff to volunteer

per diem #4 - teach at PA program - maybe 1 per month or every other month - minus well be free as payment covers gas and travel and that is about it

Guest UVAPAC

Per Diem #1-  Urgent Care $60/hr

Per Diem #2-  Urgent Ortho $100/hr

Per Diem #3-  PHA's for military  $450/day + Travel Reimbursement.  

On 5/19/2018 at 7:43 AM, bandofcrazies said:

Since people may search this out...you can look into MyImpactNetwork.com. Website is in dire need of update but you sign up and can get an iPhone, iPad (keep it after 1 year of survey completion) AND get $75 a month. I choose to use my device and I get $125 and its the 12th of every month. This works. All you do is download the app and they tell you which two days you log activity. You simply log the patient diagnosis, age, insurance, medication. They sell this information to pharmaceutical companies concerning your prescribing habits. Its an easy $125 a month or $75 a month and free iPad. 

Is that....I guess it's legal, but ethical? Got me wondering...

On 5/20/2018 at 9:06 PM, rev ronin said:

I have two part time jobs that could be about 1.5 FTE if I wanted them to be (I don't; each has it's plusses and minuses and I love the mix), but I make my extra money as a volunteer fire officer and EMT instructor/evaluator.  Between the two of them, that's going to be almost $10k this year.

doesn't volunteer imply that you are not being paid? 

• Administrator
On 5/22/2018 at 5:57 PM, EMEDPA said:

doesn't volunteer imply that you are not being paid? 

You can be paid up to 20% of what a career equivalent position would make and still be considered a volunteer.  So, for me, that's a LOT higher ceiling than what I actually make in 'stipend'.  On a per hour basis, as a fire officer and EMSO, I still make less than what I made shelving books in a library 32 years ago.

I think Cid has the right idea....do something outside of medicine.  

I am heavily invested in real estate, and now branching out into agriculture.  I could quit my medical jobs any day and maintain my current quality of life (minus travel and saving for dream house) because of my real estate income and retirement pay.  

Guest UVAPAC
2 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

I think Cid has the right idea....do something outside of medicine.  

I am heavily invested in real estate, and now branching out into agriculture.  I could quit my medical jobs any day and maintain my current quality of life (minus travel and saving for dream house) because of my real estate income and retirement pay.  

How does one accomplish this feat ?

4 hours ago, UVAPAC said:

How does one accomplish this feat ?

Slowly and carefully!

Most importantly, we have a modest lifestyle.  We live in the midwest, own our $100K home, and have no other debt (other than a mortgage on a large piece of land we just bought that we will soon build our dream house on).

As to real estate (and I just answered this on a PM), a few pieces of advice.

1:  Don't be a broke landlord.  Broke landlords are the guys who HAVE to get a tenant in asap because they have to cover the mortgage.  Since they HAVE to get tenants in, they get crappy tenants who break your stuff and cost you a lot of time and money.

My purchasing strategy is to find distressed houses in very good neighborhoods, buy them for dirt cheap, renovate them, then hold onto them.  

My rental strategy is to get GOOD tenants, and I refuse to rent to people who I think may not be good tenants.  I screen, a LOT.  I probably get 3 completed applications, with people who are ready to pay first/last/security deposit, before I agree to rent.  I would rather let my houses sit empty for months before renting to the wrong person (I've lost $40K on a house before....TWICE!!).  Another way I do this is by charging a little more than market value.  People who call are those looking for that higher rental-rate house, so can usually afford it.  I also advertise that I am looking for LONG TERM tenants, but start with a six month lease.  At the end of six months I know whether they take care of the house, whether they pay rent on time (notice my priorities there), and whether they are a PITA.  And they know by then than I'm not a slumlord.  If I want to keep them, then I drop the rent in exchange for a year lease.  If I want them to move out, then I jack the rent up after the six-months are up.  

I can do this because I'm not a broke landlord (see above definition).

2. Location, location, location.  Oh, and location.  You want a good/very-good neighborhood.  Some neighborhoods only have crappy rentals, so will only have crappy tenants.  Avoid them...they are not worth it.  Yeah, the SJWs may cry racism/bigotry/oppression, but it's just business. 

3. Take your TIME!  You HAVE to buy right, which means you HAVE to have money in hand.  This applies to many things beyond investment real estate.  We recently bought a large piece of land that we will eventually build our dream home on...after looking for more than 3 years!  Over those three years we have probably looked at 20 pieces of real estate/land to build on, and we only put in one other offer which fell through because we they wanted too much, and we were willing to walk away.  When we found the land we finally purchased we both immediately knew it would work very very well for us, and the price was wayyyyy under what it was worth.  And we had >50% of the cost in cash (will pay rest off in very short time).  

The same thing with investment real estate.  Take your TIME!  We probably looked at 20-30 houses before we bought each of our investment properties.  We are knowledgeable about RE values in the neighborhoods we are looking in.  The properties we do buy we manage to get at well under market value, but only because we are (almost) always looking, and we are willing to walk away. 

4. Did I mention location?  Yeah, it's important.  The only thing more important than location is not having a mortgage.

I hope this helps.

Archived