Great Phrases from Providers Past

One of my mentors I worked with for years as an MA and then became one of my preceptors during PA school used to always say "Now you just ordering $#! + to order $#! +..." i Always think of her when I'm filling out a lab order lol

Oh and my Surgical Preceptor/Attending at Stanford would always bark at me when he felt I was taking too long on closing: "what are you doing? A study on suturing techniques? Wrap it up!" mind you I did my Surgical rotation at Lucille Packard Children's Hospital at the General Surgery/Trauma unit where they're motto was "scarless surgery is our specialty" or something like that. Kinda put a lot of pressure on me when I was asked to close ????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I had an orthopod tell me he was going to open a clinic and put a motorcycle store on one end and a trampoline store on the other.

An ortho I had to visit in cast clinic after an ankle fracture I had put up a bumper sticker in the cast room that said "Love your orthopedic surgeon - drive a motorcycle"

A wise doc once told me regarding abd pain "One of three things will happen - they'll get better, stay the same or get worse.  If they get better, great.  If they stay the same, get concerned and look harder.  If they get worse, get really concerned and look really hard."  This was a good thing for the tool box for me as a medic stuck out in various Ungabungalands with help a long way away - helped/still helps me decide who I could sit on and for how long.

SK

SK

From my family practice preceptor, who used to moonlight in the ER. Typically after suturing a nasty facial laceration, he would step back, tilt his head a little, then say "Good enough for the type of girls that we go out with."

His greatest pearl: "If something is there, it will declare itself."

I did a surgery rotation in school with a surgeon who was a character. In clinic he'd introduce himself to patients by saying, "I'm Doctor XXXX. I'm a surgeon; it's my job to cut people. What do you have that needs cut?".

The same guy had me close a chest in the OR and told me I had 5 minutes. He then got the entire OR staff to whistle the theme from Final Jeopardy while I sutured...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a surgery rotation in school with a surgeon who was a character. In clinic he'd introduce himself to patients by saying, "I'm Doctor XXXX. I'm a surgeon; it's my job to cut people. What do you have that needs cut?".

The same guy had me close a chest in the OR and told me I had 5 minutes. He then got the entire OR staff to whistle the theme from Final Jeopardy while I sutured...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done the exact same thing with allergic dermatitis. Had a lady years ago expose her lower abdomen and confirm no rash/wheals, lower top, and then made one scratch across her abdomen through the fabric. After one rendition of Final Jeopardy jingle she raised her top and there were the skin wheals. Diagnosis confirmed.

One more line to add on the end of your first quote.... "eventually, all bleeding stops" :-)

-"No matter what you do for your patients, no matter how hard you try, your bound to piss off at least 3% of the population... Get over it now and move on."

So true in UC.

More like 13%.....

Archived