UTMB 2017-2018 Admissions Cycle

7 minutes ago, megrara10 said:

For the wallet sized picture, did most of y'all use a professional picture?

If by professional you mean taking a straight on selfie with a suit top and gym shorts with a white background and then sending it to Walgreens for .50 cents for wallet size print?.... Yes.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cGPA: 3.39 sGPA: 3.24

GRE: 158V 153Q 4.5A

Experience: 2 years scribe, 1 year algebra 1 teacher, 1.5 year volunteering, 1/2 year shadowing (1 year = 2,000 hours—all hours are continuing hours except teaching.)

Submitted: 05/04/2017

CASPA Acknowledgement Letter: 05/25/2017

MyStar: 05/30/2017

Under Review: 07/25/2017

Interview Invitation: 08/22/2017

Interview: 09/11/2017

Acceptance: 10/13/2017 09:50 AM

There are two traditional one-on-one interviews with no surprises. Also, the class of 2017 earned a 100% PANCE pass rate!

Second time was the charm for me. :) 

Good luck!

On 10/13/2017 at 3:11 PM, megrara10 said:

Do any people who have already been accepted know how many people have been accepted for next year?

There have been weekly interviews since Sept 11th. I think their goal is to accept close to 90. No telling how many people have been accepted yet..

Does anyone think it would be beneficial to go to the Oct 20th open house?

Potentially. If you are still searching for a good answer to the common interview question: "why do you want to go to our program" then I think attending an open house could give you some talking points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, hcruz496 said:

For the people that already interviewed, how long did UTMB take to notify you of a decision? 

You don't find out if you are wait listed, rejected or admitted until December (Dec 2 according to the last two years forums). The only way you'll find out your status earlier is if you're one of the few people they accept after interviews 

1 hour ago, APatel04 said:

Does anyone think it would be beneficial to go to the Oct 20th open house?

If you do get an interview, the first 30 minutes of the day is a very similar presentation to what you'll see at open house. So if you're just looking for an answer to the "why UTMB" question, you could potentially answer it by just listening during interview day

Hi guys! I just got accepted into the program! I interviewed 10/16. For those asking about the interview, my advice is honestly to just be yourself! You're given opportunities to talk about yourself so take advantage of that to show the faculty what kind of person you are. Don't just say what you did/what happened but really take the time to reflect on an experience and what you learned and how you grew from it. Also prepare questions! I wrote mine down and they didn't mind that I pulled out my padfolio to jog my memory.

Hey Guys,

So I am a re-applicant to this program and i got an invitation to interview last year around this time (October 19th, 2016 to be exact). However this round I submitted my application WAY earlier than last year, improved my GPA, and patient contact hours and have not gotten an interview date. The only thing i got was an email from Elisabeth Shell saying my application was under review on August 10th. At this point all i can think of doing is calling them to see if they got my email mixed up or something? I don't know what to do. Any suggestions/advice??

11 minutes ago, epaul07 said:

Hey Guys,

So I am a re-applicant to this program and i got an invitation to interview last year around this time (October 19th, 2016 to be exact). However this round I submitted my application WAY earlier than last year, improved my GPA, and patient contact hours and have not gotten an interview date. The only thing i got was an email from Elisabeth Shell saying my application was under review on August 10th. At this point all i can think of doing is calling them to see if they got my email mixed up or something? I don't know what to do. Any suggestions/advice??

I'm in the same boat but I think it really just comes down to what they're looking for this year and the pool of applicants. I got my hopes up when I got the email on August 10th too but the applicant pool is so different every year. It's hard to judge where you sit in the overall picture each time because of that. Keep us posted if you do decide to call and find out something went wrong, though.

59 minutes ago, epaul07 said:

Hey Guys,

There's no harm in calling, but I saw in last years forum one applicant submitted early too and did not get an interview until December & she ended up getting in that cycle I think. They might just have you set aside for a later interview while they interview other applicants they liked more as the earlier person commented. 

19 hours ago, kg8868 said:

I'm in the same boat but I think it really just comes down to what they're looking for this year and the pool of applicants. I got my hopes up when I got the email on August 10th too but the applicant pool is so different every year. It's hard to judge where you sit in the overall picture each time because of that. Keep us posted if you do decide to call and find out something went wrong, though.

I just called them and they said my application was still under review and that they had my correct email address! 

I believe there have been weekly interviews since Sept 11th with 30ish people each week. 

I think their goal is to interview around 300 and accept close to 90. No telling how many people have been accepted yet. 

The only way to find out would be to call and ask them directly. I'm not sure if they would release that information.

That's my best guess.

NEW PAGE!

To everyone that interviewed at UTMB already, what did you think?  I interviewed already and for a school that I really thought was my top choice, I am a bit put off after going through the whole interview process.  I didn't like how the question about UTMB's probation status was answered.  When asked this during the morning presentation Ms. Slusher seemed to indirectly answer a question with a question.  I found this troubling.  

Also, I hated the interview style.  It was very much good cop, bad cop, at least for me anyways.  I felt as though my interview responses were all scrutinized and I was being attacked by a rapid fire of questions by one of the interviewers.  I'm not sure what this interview style accomplishes for them.  At the end of the day I felt as though I was made to feel small when I have worked extremely hard to get to this point.  Furthermore, how fair can it really be that we weren't all interviewed by the same people?  

I also didn't like that they weren't offering a complete tour (only offering to take us to see the outside of the buildings).  They may have been interviewing us, but that was also our chance to check them out.

Rant over.  I am just wondering if anyone seemed to have this same experience.  

To everyone that interviewed at UTMB already, what did you think?  I interviewed already and for a school that I really thought was my top choice, I am a bit put off after going through the whole interview process.  I didn't like how the question about UTMB's probation status was answered.  When asked this during the morning presentation Ms. Slusher seemed to indirectly answer a question with a question.  I found this troubling.  
Also, I hated the interview style.  It was very much good cop, bad cop, at least for me anyways.  I felt as though my interview responses were all scrutinized and I was being attacked by a rapid fire of questions by one of the interviewers.  I'm not sure what this interview style accomplishes for them.  At the end of the day I felt as though I was made to feel small when I have worked extremely hard to get to this point.  Furthermore, how fair can it really be that we weren't all interviewed by the same people?  
I also didn't like that they weren't offering a complete tour (only offering to take us to see the outside of the buildings).  They may have been interviewing us, but that was also our chance to check them out.

You bring up several valid concerns here. I would have to agree with about not particularly liking the intense, rapid fire questions. It felt like an interrogation rather than an interview. Had both of my interviewers been like that I would have serious concerns about attending this school. That said, I still had an overall positive experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, paby2020 said:

I feel like they ask questions and format their interviews in this style as a way to see how the interviewee handles stress, it is a little uncomfortable but I don't think that's a representation of the faculty in a normal setting. I overall really enjoyed my experience here!

Archived