Barry University 2017-2018 Applicants

I applied on 9/15 and I haven't received anything from Barry yet...I called and spoke to Michelle Pence I believe, and she told me that she is the only person working on the verification of applications and that she is still reviewing applications from JUNE... being that it's mid September, all i can say is wow... poor lady has a lot of work to be done.

has anyone received a rejection letter or email from Barry this year? if last year...was it an email or letter?

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another 2019 here. Yes, it's true that STX campus had to evacuate yesterday due to hurricane Maria. All 3 campuses have been a bit hectic with two cat 5 hurricanes this month. Know that usually Barry is good about communication. We start classes again tomorrow, so hopefully faculty will contact you soon about your interviews. We're all excited for you to come to the campuses!

Got denied yesterday via email - pretty bummed, because I felt I was a very competitive applicant. Good luck to everyone though with the process! I hope I can help others gain some insight with my stats.

GPA- 3.32 (Last 60 credits was 3.8 though), Science 3.2 

GRE- 304/4.0

HCE- 250 EMT, 2700 Scribe (ER and pulmonary), 1 week missions trip to Belize running a mobile clinic, 100 hours volunteering in general surgery

Research- 3 years at Mayo Clinic resulting in a trip to CHEST conference and publication

Extracurriculars - 250 volunteer hours (non-medical), numerous leadership positions (biology honor society, chemistry, fraternity, etc.), 4 year collegiate football player, and a whole lot more.

40 minutes ago, ndiehl87 said:

Got denied yesterday via email - pretty bummed, because I felt I was a very competitive applicant. Good luck to everyone though with the process! I hope I can help others gain some insight with my stats.

GPA- 3.32 (Last 60 credits was 3.8 though), Science 3.2 

GRE- 304/4.0

HCE- 250 EMT, 2700 Scribe (ER and pulmonary), 1 week missions trip to Belize running a mobile clinic, 100 hours volunteering in general surgery

Research- 3 years at Mayo Clinic resulting in a trip to CHEST conference and publication

Extracurriculars - 250 volunteer hours (non-medical), numerous leadership positions (biology honor society, chemistry, fraternity, etc.), 4 year collegiate football player, and a whole lot more.

Which campus was this for? And when did you apply?

7 hours ago, Acap said:

Which campus was this for? And when did you apply?

St. Pete campus

My CASPA was submitted: 6/22/17

Verifed: 6/28/17

I was told that I was missing some pre-reqs about a month ago (which was inaccurate) and I ended up proving I did have them. I guess it was the way my transcript listed courses? I'm not sure if that played into their decision. Butttt fortunately, I'm on the waiting list at South and have 2 more interviews scheduled for this week.

42 minutes ago, ndiehl87 said:

St. Pete campus

My CASPA was submitted: 6/22/17

Verifed: 6/28/17

I was told that I was missing some pre-reqs about a month ago (which was inaccurate) and I ended up proving I did have them. I guess it was the way my transcript listed courses? I'm not sure if that played into their decision. Butttt fortunately, I'm on the waiting list at South and have 2 more interviews scheduled for this week.

Okay thanks. My stats are similar so I was just wondering! Good luck at your other interviews!!

5 minutes ago, ndiehl87 said:

Spoke to Michelle Spence regarding my application and denial. She was very informative and helpful, but basically told me that my GPA was too low. So I'm guessing that is one of their biggest criteria for interview/admission?

I still think it's holistic considering my GPA is only a 3.26 and I got an interview with the first group this Friday! Also depends a lot on how early you apply 

1 minute ago, abp_520 said:

I still think it's holistic considering my GPA is only a 3.26 and I got an interview with the first group this Friday! Also depends a lot on how early you apply 

Hi @abp_520 when did your CASPA application verify and what campus did you apply to? Mine verified for the St. Croix campus June 12th, and I still haven't heard anything. Also, is there anyone else that has a similar timeline to me that hasn't heard anything?

2 minutes ago, medlabscientist said:

Hi @abp_520 when did your CASPA application verify and what campus did you apply to? Mine verified for the St. Croix campus June 12th, and I still haven't heard anything. Also, is there anyone else that has a similar timeline to me that hasn't heard anything?

Hey, I applied to St. Pete campus (verified June 30th) and haven’t heard anything yet!

9 minutes ago, abp_520 said:

She specifically pointed that out about my app, but I'm sure they review it holistically. My stats are posted above. May I ask how many HCE hours you have?

8 minutes ago, PAtobe33 said:

Sorry to hear about the denial! What was your GPA if you don’t mind me asking? And was the denial through email or mail? I haven’t heard anything yet so just curious, but GPA is probably too low too. When reading many programs information it sounds like they look at applicants as a whole, but from what I’ve been hearing lately it seems they make a cutoff for interviews for those with sGPA of day 3.5 or higher (what I heard for one program for example). So I’m not really sure what their biggest criteria is, which makes it frustrating but keep your head up! Good luck! 

I was denied through email. I actually shared my stats earlier in the thread if you want to check them out - 3.3 cum/3.2 sci. I had several poor grades early on in my academic career and they basically  implied that I haven't done enough to prove that I'm a good candidate yet (even though I went back to school for a full year in upper level classes and earned a 3.8 while working and volunteering full-time).

34 minutes ago, abp_520 said:

It was a tough decision but I have decided not to attend my interview tomorrow, as I have been accepted to my first choice University closer to home. 

Good luck, and I hope my spot goes to someone who is dying to have it! 

Congrats on your acceptance elsewhere! Which Barry campus was your interview for? 

On 10/1/2017 at 9:27 PM, mar14 said:

Does anyone have any insight as far as what the interview process is like at the St. Pete campus? I have one coming up this week. I'm super excited but this is my first interview so I don't know what to expect!

How did your interview go in St. Pete last weekend? I am interviewing this Friday. It is also my first interview and do not know what to expect!

Archived