Health Professionals Scholarship Program (HPSP) - PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I submitted my application package on May 1st (I know, really last minute). I received an e-mail on May 4th that my application was among the best qualified and was referred to the next step in the selection process. I’m not a veteran and I’m just starting my PA program in a couple weeks. Has everyone received this same e-mail? Anyone have any idea when the final announcement will be made? 

On 5/8/2018 at 8:52 AM, MeganKB said:

I submitted my application package on May 1st (I know, really last minute). I received an e-mail on May 4th that my application was among the best qualified and was referred to the next step in the selection process. I’m not a veteran and I’m just starting my PA program in a couple weeks. Has everyone received this same e-mail? Anyone have any idea when the final announcement will be made? 

Hey Megan, I also applied last minute. I received the same email on the fourth that I have been 'referred' to the selection committee. I haven't heard anything new yet, so I guess it will be a waiting game. I start my PA program in August and I am also not a veteran lol So best of luck to us both! Let me know if you hear anything and I will do the same.

I applied at the beginning of March and I have still not been notified. According to the scholarship coordinator my application has already been scored and reviewed by the scholarship committee. He said they are only notifying people graduating in 2018, and will wait to notify those graduating in 2019 and 2020 because they are giving preference to people graduating in 2018. I'm graduating in 2019 and I'm a veteran with greater than 10% disability. He said I should probably hear something by the end of May or early June. I'll let you guys know either way. Good luck to everyone who applied. 

21 hours ago, Futurepadude said:

Hey Megan, I also applied last minute. I received the same email on the fourth that I have been 'referred' to the selection committee. I haven't heard anything new yet, so I guess it will be a waiting game. I start my PA program in August and I am also not a veteran lol So best of luck to us both! Let me know if you hear anything and I will do the same.

I was told by the guy in charge that it would not be worth my while to apply because there is only enough funding for people who have a year left of school.

On 5/10/2018 at 6:37 PM, Almortega said:

I was told by the guy in charge that it would not be worth my while to apply because there is only enough funding for people who have a year left of school.

I was told that they're showing preference to second year PA students but Scott Dixon still encouraged me to apply because additional funding may become available. Either way, I doubt i'll get it. Who knows, I am a veteran but I wont start my program until August. Best of luck to everyone. Has anyone heard of how many slots they have this year for the scholarship?

Edited by Futurepadude

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2018 at 5:21 PM, sammylittle12` said:

I was officially offered the scholarship today and it sounds like they will be offering about 30 to 40 scholarships this year. I hope you guys get some good news soon as well. 

Sammy, how were you contacted? Snail mail, email, or phone?

On 5/30/2018 at 11:49 AM, mkngj said:

Sammy, how were you contacted? Snail mail, email, or phone?

I was offered a scholarship as well and the correspondence has been via email.  Per our conference call, there were only 19 scholarship initially awarded for PA.  If anyone declines their award, or more money becomes available, they will offer them to other applicants. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, mkngj said:

I didn't know they had an alternate list last year. Do you know if anyone was chosen from it? And no, I haven't heard anything yet ?

Oh, sorry! I had been trying to look at different forums to see if I could find out if there was an alternate list last year but I wasn't able to find anything. Looks like the waiting game continues haha Good luck to you! 

• 1 month later...

Could anyone who received a scholarship last year comment on how the process has gone so far? I got lucky this year and signed the contract, but I'm nervously awaiting the recruitment process. Does anyone have experience working at a VA as a PA, are there some specialties that are better than others for PAs? Any guidance is appreciated. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/3/2018 at 10:36 PM, jmelville said:

Can anyone direct me to where I can start on this application for this upcoming year? I have tried looking for it and found the website, but not any details on applying...Thank you!

The application is closed. I guess it'll open back up in March? Could be wrong, and the application will be posted on USAjobs.gov when available. 

• 3 months later...

I will be starting my didactic year of PA school in August and I just working on this application and I was hoping somebody who has applied before could answer this a question: In the preliminary questions they ask about being able to perform a clinical tour at the VA while you are enrolled in your program. Is this referring to doing one of your clinical rotations at a VA site?

17 hours ago, JohnnyLAX9 said:

I will be starting my didactic year of PA school in August and I just working on this application and I was hoping somebody who has applied before could answer this a question: In the preliminary questions they ask about being able to perform a clinical tour at the VA while you are enrolled in your program. Is this referring to doing one of your clinical rotations at a VA site?

So the application is available for 2019?

On 3/2/2019 at 3:36 PM, JohnnyLAX9 said:

Yes, you are required to do one of your clinical rotations at a VA hospital. It can be any rotation. My school already had an agreement with a VA hospital so it was easy for me. Reach out to Mr. Dixon, the coordinator, if you think it might be an issue.