Dangerous new NP...

Guest ERCat

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not surprised by this. Politics in medicine. The question you should be asking yourself is why suddenly this ER group went for an NP this time after so many years of turning them away? Does this particular NP related to the CEO or someone w/in? Why nothing has been done despite your complaint, and others plus the fact that a pt seen by this NP died because an EKG wasn't ordered. You've got to realized that there's politics in medicine. Avoid this NP as possible. I will find another job. I will put in my resignation immediately.

My ER has had a major problem with turnover (low pay, crap schedule) so I think they are just desperate to have someone. The CEO is constantly referring to us as "bodies" which is offensive. "Can you work an extra day next week? We just need an extra body over at the ER" or "Sorry the schedule is bad, we are trying to get bodies." Clearly if they are looking to hire a body that's basically what they did with this NP. And yes - I love the job and it's great training but as soon as I get my experience I will have to be outta here.

My ER has had a major problem with turnover (low pay, crap schedule) so I think they are just desperate to have someone. The CEO is constantly referring to us as "bodies" which is offensive. "Can you work an extra day next week? We just need an extra body over at the ER" or "Sorry the schedule is bad, we are trying to get bodies." Clearly if they are looking to hire a body that's basically what they did with this NP. And yes - I love the job and it's great training but as soon as I get my experience I will have to be outta here.

I get your points. Just be safe and protect yourself AND the patients from bad medicine. You can be taken down by association.

Make it clear to those who seem to be in charge that this NP is incompetent, cavalier and just flat dangerous. Make it clear to the nursing staff. You aren't slandering. You are protecting patient lives.

Avoid her, avoid shifts with her. Consider how to report her to the state board or the risk mgmt of the hospital. Send an anonymous fax from a hospital fax machine to the Malpractice Insurance regarding the patient who died.

It is hard to act - a lot of risk involved. It is harder to stand by and let her hurt people - or kill them - again.

Tell the CEO that you aren't a body but the guy who died ended up being a body in the morgue.

The CEO is constantly referring to us as "bodies" which is offensive. "Can you work an extra day next week? We just need an extra body over at the ER" or "Sorry the schedule is bad, we are trying to get bodies." 

In the military, we used to have a worse term than "bodies."  My military friends here are aware of the term I mean.  SD are the initials!

Few thoughts

1) communicate in a non threatening way to your doc's and the administration - behind closed doors - your concerns

2) it is not really your battle to fight - keep detailed records of what you have reported, and be mildly persistent - but not so much as they see YOU as the problem

3) NEVER co-treat, share or turn over patients to her - never ever....... This is how you protect your license....

4) I can not say rather you should make a report to her board - that is big heavy stuff, and realistically the employer needs to step up and force supervision on her or fire her

5) once again, this is not your battle, this is admins battle and don't get dragged to far into it.

6) might politely inform any doc's working with her simply "I don't trust her even one bit - she gave MAcrobid to a dog bite 'cause it sounded good' and 'missed and MI for 3 hours and only after the the doc got invovled was it determined". This alone would make me cringe if I were the doc and demand that she run every patient by me....

7) see # 1-6 and repeat

8) NEVER share a patient with her EVER

Three final thoughts

This could just as easily be a PA so let's not make it an NP thing - as I have seen some GREAT one's

Don't burn your own bridge over her, just protect yourself and your patients

Is not Grand Canyon U one of the for profit colleges under investigation?

snip

Three final thoughts

This could just as easily be a PA so let's not make it an NP thing - as I have seen some GREAT one's

Don't burn your own bridge over her, just protect yourself and your patients

Is not Grand Canyon U one of the for profit colleges under investigation?

Our fairly large system recently stopped accepting applications from NPs with degrees from for profit online course. Moving toward requiring online programs to have an on in person component. Cause:

1. A request from the program director resulted in - I am unable to provide an evaluation as I have never met the student.

2. One of our NPs tried to fail a student on rotation and was told that wasn't allowed. 

One of our NPs tried to fail a student on rotation and was told that wasn't allowed. 

BAhahahahaha! omg!

Are you serious?! It's not ALLOWED to fail a student?

giphy.gif

..............................So this is the second time this post has made me laugh-facepalm! (And to Reality Check 2, I, too, was thinking the body in the morgue comment!)

• Administrator

[...]

650/8 hr day = 81 days

20-25 WEEKDAYS per month = avg 3.5 MONTHS

[...]

I have yet to see any NP student do more than 2 days a week.  They all seem to be part-time and have other nursing jobs.

Which, really, is actually probably a stupider idea than anyone realizes without thinking it through.  To go from "in charge" to "a nurse" and back is something PA students simply don't usually do--we don't have TIME to pull shifts as medics or whatnot, and so the psyche of providerdom is something that develops (or at least, SHOULD) without needing to switch modes back into a role of non-provider responsibility.

I have yet to see any NP student do more than 2 days a week.  They all seem to be part-time and have other nursing jobs.

Which, really, is actually probably a stupider idea than anyone realizes without thinking it through.  To go from "in charge" to "a nurse" and back is something PA students simply don't usually do--we don't have TIME to pull shifts as medics or whatnot, and so the psyche of providerdom is something that develops (or at least, SHOULD) without needing to switch modes back into a role of non-provider responsibility.

haha! you said stupider

I completely agree. I have never had an NP student take hospital call with me or work nights or weekends.

Immersion and mindset change are vitally important to mold a provider into a decision maker and distiller of information.

Most PA schools I have been exposed to basically tell their students that they cannot work outside of school - not enough time and your brain and body will be too tired from what you are being exposed to.

Again, we are trained on a medical model much like MD/DO students and residents. It seems to work quite nicely, in my opinion.

I'm very interested in the resolution to this nightmare.  I'm a new grad, just passed the PANCE, and I own that.  I'm terrified that I'm going to screw up and kill a patient and will definitely be taking alot of time outside of work to improve my skills.  I'm a bit flabbergasted that anyone, PA or NP, could be so fresh out of school and be so confident (stupidly so) in their abilities. 

I'm very interested in the resolution to this nightmare.  I'm a new grad, just passed the PANCE, and I own that.  I'm terrified that I'm going to screw up and kill a patient and will definitely be taking alot of time outside of work to improve my skills.  I'm a bit flabbergasted that anyone, PA or NP, could be so fresh out of school and be so confident (stupidly so) in their abilities. 

We call it inverse confidence to competence ratio. 

Has anyone taken a look at the one year FNP programs? I've posted a link to the University of Miami's one-year FNP program curriculum. Notice that 1/3 of their one year program is nursing theory! So, they are essentially allowing RN's without experience to enter a program with two semesters of clinical medicine and 600 hours of clinicals and allowing them to hang their shingle in 22 states. 

http://www.miami.edu/sonhs/index.php/fnp/plan_of_study/family_nurse_practitioner_1-year_plan/

So, Delco - do you get to be a part of the interview process?

Do you have the resume with the educational source on it?

Can you look up their requirements before the interview and ask directed questions about what kind of rotations and what kind of exposures?

It could make for actually very needed interview questions.

Yes I certainly can..the biggest issue was for me.. 2 year lapse to apply for first job after graduation..hasn't sat for boards and was just working as RN still, but only teaching it seems

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

To go from "in charge" to "a nurse" and back is something PA students simply don't usually do--we don't have TIME to pull shifts as medics or whatnot, and so the psyche of providerdom is something that develops (or at least, SHOULD) without needing to switch modes back into a role of non-provider responsibility.

C'mon.  Plenty of PA students maintain PRN or part time work.  So now they are inferior PAs because flipping between roles is hard for a reason you invented on the spot?  Let's reign it in a bit.  Or reverse it?  High quality HCE generates superior PAs, before, during, and after school.

C'mon. Plenty of PA students maintain PRN or part time work. So now they are inferior PAs because flipping between roles is hard for a reason you invented on the spot? Let's reign it in a bit. Or reverse it? High quality HCE generates superior PAs, before, during, and after school.

Zero students in my class maintained PRN jobs. This is rare and actually banned in many programs. So please don't state facts that you have no true first hand info on.

Archived