An Open Letter to All PAs: The Time Has Come for a Professional Name Change

Guest mikefunkpac

It's interesting that Mr. Banuchi, the founder of this Forum, is NOT a member of his state PA organization. If he were, he might understand that PAs in Florida have much more important issues to deal with. The problem is not our name, it IS your ego. Get over it! Be proud to be a Physician Assistant! As long as you feel inadequate simply because of your title you will never be satisfied! Are you going to go back to the school from which you graduated and have them change your diploma? If not, patients who see your diploma will be even more confused. Doctors gave us our title, let's not mess with it!

Michael Funk, PA-C, MPH, DFAAPA

Florida Academy of Physician Assistants

Past President

Legislative and Governmental Affairs Committee Chairman

Financial Affairs Committee Member

FAPA-PAC BOD Member

AAPA House of Delegates, Florida Delegate

Adjunct Professor, Nova South Eastern University

Broward County Medical Association BOD

Palm Beach County Medical Society PA Liaison

Florida Medical Society Council on Legislation PA Delegate

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Mr. Funk. I'm shocked. In the 12 years I had this forum online, I have never been personally attacked. Especially by a former teacher. Wow! And then to tell me that I have an ego problem for my view on the name change. Well, you got me. Yup, that's it. My ego. Darn! You figured it out! That's actually the most common comeback to the issue. It's getting old. Mr. Funk, if you don't want the name change, then so be it. Whoever said that the issues for FL PA's didn't take priority over this? Did I prioritize this somewhere? I am interested in the name change, you are not. Am I not allowed to view this? If the AAPA ever polls the profession on it, let the majority speak. That's all. You really need to cool it. You're a very angry person. (Don't worry, I'll let you still visit the site)

You are correct. I am not a member of FAPA. I mean, NOT a member. (Just want to be consistent with your emphasis) I used to be, and I had planned on renewing, but had not gotten around to it. I had just renewed my AAPA and SDPA, but forgot to submit a renewal for FAPA. Sad part is, my employer only reimbursed me for AAPA and that's all. Oh well. I'll get to it, but first I have to pay the bill for this site which allowed you to voice your opinion. But I appreciate the public reminder. When I renew, will you apologize? :)

Oh, by the way.... you're welcome!

Past President

FAPA-PAC BOD Member

Uh...who has the ego?

Uh...who has the ego?

Ha! I was going to say the same thing. Mr. Funk is the last person to talk about ego. I understand coming to the forum and discussing the issues, but he had just gotten on the forum and attacked Mr. Banuchi as if it was personal and was WAY off the discussion topic. Forgive me for being mistaken, but aren't personal attacks a reason for ban? Also, being a past president and having access to the membership of FAPA, isn't announcing such information an abuse of the privileges? I think FAPA needs to be contacted that its past president is utilizing the membership database to publicly humiliate a previous member. This is serious.

Mr. Banuchi, those of us who have been here a long time know how much you have helped the profession and we all know you're not an ego-maniac, unlike the newbie professor with a signature longer enough to need to compensate for something. Ban him and definitely contact FAPA!

Uh...who has the ego?

UhHhh... Yeah... That was bizzare coming from a Noob with a signature block longer than the OPs letter...!!!

For a minute there... I thought he was gonna start "name dropping" like that other dude that posts here.

This sudden "DFAAPA" behind the name (as if its some type of credential that adds to the PAs clinical practice) is also odd... and smells like burnt/overcooked "EGO." Especially when you consider that it simply means that you consistently sent money to an organization that ignores you for a decade or more. But I guess since the physicians have their board certification initials... their "assistants" needed more semi-random letters also.

Geez...

Past President

FAPA-PAC BOD Member

The above is a remarkable example of how someone can so completely insert him/herself into the machinery of PA legislation and oversight and then sit back and tell others in the profession that their hopes and desires for the future are wrong-headed and ego-driven. The above poster does not even attempt to see the potential validity in what a segment of our profession is advocating. He may be speaking out of frustration, but engaging in these ad hominem attacks is hardly the behavior I would expect from someone with such a long list of memberships, affiliations and appointments. Please refrain.

"Doctors gave us our title...." My understanding (and it may be incorrect) is that they forced the title upon us when the AMA balked at "Physician Associate" way back when.

UhHhh... Yeah... That was bizzare coming from a Noob with a signature block longer than the OPs letter...!!!

For a minute there... I thought he was gonna start "name dropping" like that other dude that posts here.

This sudden "DFAAPA" behind the name (as if its some type of credential that adds to the PAs clinical practice) is also odd... and smells like burnt/overcooked "EGO." Especially when you consider that it simply means that you consistently sent money to an organization that ignores you for a decade or more. But I guess since the physicians have their board certification initials... their "assistants" needed more semi-random letters also.

Geez...

great! I wonder who started this putting alphabet soup behind their names... hm. I also thought of it as perhaps a security blanket when it comes to people judging your experiences, qualifications and competencies.. I saw a lecture a few years ago from a nurse once who surely took the cake for credentials.. She had AAS, BS, NREMT-B, MSN, RN, APRN, CEN, CNE, on her powerpoint. I always wondered if she put that on her white coats haha

Mike,

Eff him.

Again, thank you for the site, your time, work and and efforts in creating perhaps the most sucessful PA forum on the web.

Through which I have beome aware of more truely germaine professional issues than any state forum/ association.

For me, a lowly grunt PA with very few initials, this site has been a godsend... where I can reach out to my peers and have a discourse.

As for Mr Funk,

I do not disagree as much as you might suspect. We ARE assistants.. were trained as such and function as such.

And I admit that my ego does occasionally butt against the "assistant ceiling".

But it is MY ego, not Banuchi's.

Perhaps you meant to insert a paragraph between your spurious, intemporate and below the belt comments about Banuchi's memberships (or not) and the beginning diatribe about ego managment...

which would have turned your vitriole away from the specific banuchi to the collective "you".

A better argument.

And finally, a little respect to Banuchi for what service he is providing to the profession goes a long way. I'd venture to say that (unlike a lot of us), you have not sent Mike any cash help to keep the site solvent....

Sort of the pot calling the kettle black, eh??

RC (2 initials) Davis, PA (2 more)

Also, being a past president and having access to the membership of FAPA, isn't announcing such information an abuse of the privileges? I think FAPA needs to be contacted that its past president is utilizing the membership database to publicly humiliate a previous member. This is serious.

100% Agreed, this is above and beyond inappropriate.

Mike,

Eff him.

Again, thank you for the site, your time, work and and efforts in creating perhaps the most sucessful PA forum on the web.

Through which I have beome aware of more truely germaine professional issues than any state forum/ association.

For me, a lowly grunt PA with very few initials, this site has been a godsend... where I can reach out to my peers and have a discourse.

As for Mr Funk,

I do not disagree as much as you might suspect. We ARE assistants.. were trained as such and function as such.

And I admit that my ego does occasionally butt against the "assistant ceiling".

But it is MY ego, not Banuchi's.

Perhaps you meant to insert a paragraph between your spurious, intemporate and below the belt comments about Banuchi's memberships (or not) and the beginning diatribe about ego managment...

which would have turned your vitriole away from the specific banuchi to the collective "you".

A better argument.

And finally, a little respect to Banuchi for what service he is providing to the profession goes a long way. I'd venture to say that (unlike a lot of us), you have not sent Mike any cash help to keep the site solvent....

Sort of the pot calling the kettle black, eh??

RC (2 initials) Davis, PA (2 more)

Ditto, Complete agreement from another Grunt PA!

Hi,

Frankly I've been traveling and too busy with work to come on line much these days. I posted this letter originally so I felt I needed to say something. How did a healthy, intellectual discussion (between the pros and cons) deteriorate into name calling etc? I would have to go back and read several pages to figure that out. This is an important topic, while I respect those who oppose the name change, and can see most of their points, I just don't know how this got ugly. I hope we can return to a civil discussion as it is far too important to turn it into just another political football.

We ARE assistants.. were trained as such and function as such.

This is relevant to the title issue.

I will argue that if you took a PA's day, of all the duties (histories, exams, orders, interpetation of studies, pt phone calls, meetings, paperwork), very little of it is spent assisting physicians. If anything, we are assisting patients.

Surgical PAs are probably the biggest offenders in terms of pure "assisting", but the bulk of our primary care/clinic based/EM PAs are practicing autonomous medicine with PRN physician involvement.

Guest mikefunkpac

Mr. Banuchi and members of this forum:

Yes, if you join FAPA I will thank you for your support of our professional organization. I call out PAs who are not members in public all the time, so in this regard, you are not alone.

And, yes, I have an ego, and a temper and I am passionate about our profession. I work hard for this profession and I see the damage this disucssion about name change has done. Dr.s and ARNP leadership have been ridiculing us over this in other open forums. It is such a wasted dsitraction! I have been working to bring recognition and respectability for Physician Assistants to the organized physician groups and this issue is another thing the unsupportive doctors use against us. It is counter productive!!! You are making my work, on your behalf, harder, not easier.

But you, and the few hundred PAs on this group, hardly a majority, are certainly entitled to your opinions. I don't hear much about this issue from PAs outside this forum, however.

Sorry if I come across as an angry, opinionated SOB, but I am angry at the problems this discussion has caused our profession, and I guess I will just have to continue to try to cover for you in the greater world outside this forum.

In the mean time, let me give you something to REALLY be concerned about. BCBS has announced that they will only reimburse Physician Assistant services at 85%, regardless of whether the supervising physician is in the building or not, and I'm sure other insurance companies will soon follow. I know Physician Assistants who have lost their jobs due to decreased reimbursement for certain services from insurance companies.

And here's another one: In Florida, certain groups just got an amendment to a bill passed that will disallow Physician Assistants supervising nurses in geriatric centers. These, and others, are the real issues our profession has to work on. Your support of our professional organizations allows us to work to change these intrusions and to improve physician/PA team practice.

Sincerely,

Michael Funk, PA-C with all the trimmings

Mr. Banuchi and members of this forum:

Yes, if you join FAPA I will thank you for your support of our professional organization. I call out PAs who are not members in public all the time, so in this regard, you are not alone. [What is this ...high school..?? YOU think its OK to "call out" people who don't/won't join a voluntary organization...??? Now if the FAPA had secured a seat in a program, paid tuition-PANCE/PANRE/DEA/state license fees for these people you feel so comfortable "calling out," then yeah... start calling folks out... but that isn't the case. I'm appalled that you think this is kosher enough to state that you do this "all the time." Grow up dude...!!!! This aint the grammer school playground and some school yard gang. As you mature, you may come to recognize and realize that the founding and FUNDING of this very forum by Mr. Banuchi has done more for our profession than any single membership in any state or national PA organization could ever accomplish.]

And, yes, I have an ego, and a temper and I am passionate about our profession. I work hard for this profession and I see the damage this disucssion about name change has done. [Yes you do have a ego. Which has only been surpassed in its size by the enormity of your hyperbole...!!! This discussion has been around for at least a decade. There has been NO damage done to anyone but the PAs who have to daily confuse patients during clinical practice and watch idly as the NPs surpass them in jobs and recognition.] Dr.s and ARNP leadership have been ridiculing us over this in other open forums. It is such a wasted dsitraction! [Are you really going to try and convince us that we should care about what the ARNPs think about this disscussion..??? Really..??? You actually mean to convince us that the opinions of "Doctor" nurses who shun "supervision" and "collaboration" and support "independence" for all nurses who practice "advanced nursing" (versus medicine) should somehow have some bearing on what we do as a profession..????] I have been working to bring recognition and respectability for Physician Assistants to the organized physician groups and this issue is another thing the unsupportive doctors use against us. ["unsupportive" physicians are "unsupportive" as we are and couldn't care less what our name is... they simply don't want us to exist, so its really irrelevant] It is counter productive!!! You are making my work, on your behalf, harder, not easier. [You could always stop whining and quit...]

But you, and the few hundred PAs on this group, hardly a majority, are certainly entitled to your opinions. I don't hear much about this issue from PAs outside this forum, however. [You make this proclamation like you want us to believe that you have traveled the country polling PAs on what they think concerning our title. It hasn't happened. The AAPA hasn't even done this for reasons that are fast becoming obvious. Also, the few PAs that you encounter in daily practice or at FAPA sponsored events hardly represents the voice/mood of the profession.]

Sorry if I come across as an angry, opinionated SOB, but I am angry at the problems this discussion has caused our profession, and I guess I will just have to continue to try to cover for you in the greater world outside this forum. [Cover for him/us... really...!!!! That was silly as hell. This discussion has not caused any problems for our profession. GET OFF THAT HORSE as the O2 must be thin up there.]

In the mean time, let me give you something to REALLY be concerned about. [sure... OK... YOU still think that YOU get to decide what we should be concerned about...] BCBS has announced that they will only reimburse Physician Assistant services at 85%, regardless of whether the supervising physician is in the building or not, and I'm sure other insurance companies will soon follow. [ummm.... most of us practicing PAs already know this. As a matter of fact... the students here also know this... why? Because it was discussed here several months ago on this very forum. It is YOU who is late to the party, but for some reason insist on trying to be condescending and talk down to us as if you are "educating" us on something that we don't know. I'll play like I didn't know this and ask... so what will happen if they finally remove "incident-to" billing from the billing matrix...?? In a time where EVERYONE is looking at reducing health care expenditures, do YOU think the AMA or AAPA or FAPA is gonna have some influence in this...??? I don't... cause its about the loot and EVERYBODY's reimbursements are being cut. Also... why do you think they are reimbursing NPs (and NOT PAs) directly at a consistent rate...??? For all intents and purposes, we do the same job clinically. There is no functional distinction between our practices. NPs can bill on their own. PAs can't. NPs can practice independantly. PAs can't. In theory, when a NP is sued, since the NP is a independent provider only that NP is sued.... but because a PA is a dependent provider, the physician is also sued as a matter of course. Sooo... Using your skewed logic from above, wouldn't this make hiring a NP more attractive than hiring a PA to fiscally minded /Liability adverse practice managers...???] I know Physician Assistants who have lost their jobs due to decreased reimbursement for certain services from insurance companies. [NOPE... it is more likely that the decreased reimbursement was simply a excuse to let those PAs go.]

And here's another one: In Florida, certain groups just got an amendment to a bill passed that will disallow Physician Assistants supervising nurses in geriatric centers. [Newsflash... PAs do NOT "supervise" nurses in many states. Open your eyes and look around... have you ever wondered why the heads of most departments in hospitals are NURSES...??? Only nurses "supervise" nurses in most states. Physicians and PA's write orders for nurses to follow but in many states DO NOT actually "supervise" them.] These, and others, are the real issues our profession has to work on. Your support of our professional organizations allows us to work to change these intrusions and to improve physician/PA team practice.

Sincerely,

This website has more regular members posting here than your entire state organization has members... but YOU think its OK to come here and spout off to us what the "real" issues are...???

You sure do seem to be full of yourself...

Contrarian

Uh...who has the ego?

I was thinking the same thing!! You beat me to the punch.

I think most PA's just want a title that helps the patient understand that they are about to receive excellent health care, not second class health care delivered by an "assistant". Some people already think that as evidenced by their refusal to be seen by a PA. I don't believe that "doubt" in the mind of a patient is helpful in regards to their recovery for any malady.

I just read the 23 pages of discussion and have a few thoughts.

1) Regardless of the outcome I am glad that PAs have a forum to discuss issues.

2) I am glad to see Steve Hanson engaging with the forum and think it is a model of how PA leaders can engage with the PA universe as a whole in the future.

...more on topic

3) I am interested in hearing more how this issue will be brought up at the AAPA HOD. We can all discuss the issue here but that seems an opportunity to put forth a resolution and vote on it.

David J. Bunnell, MSHS, PA-C

Cardiothoracic Surgery

Washington DC

People against the P. Associate change, with huge egos, and undying support for the profession... Assuming it takes a few years for their to be a transition in change, I'm going to go ahead and bet that many like mr. funk will be the first to promote the change by introducing themselves as physician associate to any of their patients (along with adding it into their "trimmings" )... while many others wont be making the change obvious as they will still continue introduce themselves as PA!

...more on topic

3) I am interested in hearing more how this issue will be brought up at the AAPA HOD. We can all discuss the issue here but that seems an opportunity to put forth a resolution and vote on it.

David J. Bunnell, MSHS, PA-C

Cardiothoracic Surgery

Washington DC

See.. that's the rub...

Folks like Mr. Hason, Funk et al, seem to be immeadiatly dismissive of anything that THEY don't see as important or being "REAL ISSUES" and therefore WON"T bring it up in the AAPA HOD... The would rather spend time here being condesending by telling us to send cash and join, so that they can inform us common folk of what the "real issues" are and why we don't know what we are talking/writing about...

Mr. Bunnell, when you have some time, re-read the posts... but this time pay close attention to the timing of the responses and you may find that there was NO serious consideration given to any of the suggestions by the many posters here. The responses were either canned, or contrite quips rendered to "educate" the little people on why they are wrong, and simple minded.

Contrarian

Guest mikefunkpac

So, the one thing everyone who seems to think that this name change is the best idea since sliced bread keeps saying is that if we polled PAs we would find a majority of them who would be for the change. Let me put this scenario before you: Let's say that in Florida, we were able to get all the players; the organized medical groups, nursing groups, hospital groups, etc., to support this. And let's say we were, beating the great odds against passing any legislation, able to get the Florida legislature to pass a bill changing all references to Physician Assistants to Physician Associate. Now, all the insurance carriers and Medicare and Medicaid reimburse Physician Assistant services, but not for Physician Associate services in Florida. So, all the newly deemed Physician Associates would probably be fired, at least in primary care, and replaced by NPs. Given this scenario, here's the question we can put on our poll, "Knowing that you will most likely lose your job and probably won't find one in the state for many years until the rest of the nation catches up to the new name change, would you be in favor of changing the name of the profession." I would bet that when confronted with the reality of the situation, the vast majority would say no.

Changing the name at this point in time would be a monumentally difficult task, and will have drastic effects, which many don't seem to realize.

By the way, if we're going to change the name, I still prefer Assistant Physician. If you think the name gives you more prestige and credibility, which I do not (we all know doctors who patients and other providers have no respect for), then that name would be better. We earn credibility and respect not by our title but by our actions, our professionalism, our compassion. As an example, I posted all my titles, etc. and I did not earn one iota of respect from anyone on this forum.

This idea for a name change has gone nowhere for the past 14 years and it will go nowhere in the future. But, if it ever does, I will, indeed, be among the first to change my title.

I would also like to take this opportunity to appologize to Mr. Banuchi. I did not really research this Forum before I shot off my big mouth. After looking around, I find there really is a wealth of good, practical information for anyone interested in the profession available here, except for this this name change idea.

Michael Funk, PA-C ( I won't bother you with all the rest because it doesn't impress you anyway)

Uh Mike.... It would simply be handled like a DBA. Meaning nothing would change for the carriers or any legislation. It would only change in the marketing of the profession and by us in our practices.

I own a large Neurointerventional Practice that is a DBA, and really no one care about the name except for my accountant, once a year or so.

Yes, if you join FAPA I will thank you for your support of our professional organization. I call out PAs who are not members in public all the time, so in this regard, you are not alone. [What is this ...high school..?? YOU think its OK to "call out" people who don't/won't join a voluntary organization...??? Now if the FAPA had secured a seat in a program, paid tuition-PANCE/PANRE/DEA/state license fees for these people you feel so comfortable "calling out," then yeah... start calling folks out... but that isn't the case. I'm appalled that you think this is kosher enough to state that you do this "all the time." Grow up dude...!!!! This aint the grammer school playground and some school yard gang. As you mature, you may come to recognize and realize that the founding and FUNDING of this very forum by Mr. Banuchi has done more for our profession than any single membership in any state or national PA organization could ever accomplish.]

And, yes, I have an ego, and a temper and I am passionate about our profession. I work hard for this profession and I see the damage this disucssion about name change has done. [Yes you do have a ego. Which has only been surpassed in its size by the enormity of your hyperbole...!!! This discussion has been around for at least a decade. There has been NO damage done to anyone but the PAs who have to daily confuse patients during clinical practice and watch idly as the NPs surpass them in jobs and recognition.] Dr.s and ARNP leadership have been ridiculing us over this in other open forums. It is such a wasted dsitraction! [Are you really going to try and convince us that we should care about what the ARNPs think about this disscussion..??? Really..??? You actually mean to convince us that the opinions of "Doctor" nurses who shun "supervision" and "collaboration" and support "independence" for all nurses who practice "advanced nursing" (versus medicine) should somehow have some bearing on what we do as a profession..????] I have been working to bring recognition and respectability for Physician Assistants to the organized physician groups and this issue is another thing the unsupportive doctors use against us. ["unsupportive" physicians are "unsupportive" as we are and couldn't care less what our name is... they simply don't want us to exist, so its really irrelevant] It is counter productive!!! You are making my work, on your behalf, harder, not easier. [You could always stop whining and quit...]

But you, and the few hundred PAs on this group, hardly a majority, are certainly entitled to your opinions. I don't hear much about this issue from PAs outside this forum, however. [You make this proclamation like you want us to believe that you have traveled the country polling PAs on what they think concerning our title. It hasn't happened. The AAPA hasn't even done this for reasons that are fast becoming obvious. Also, the few PAs that you encounter in daily practice or at FAPA sponsored events hardly represents the voice/mood of the profession.]

Sorry if I come across as an angry, opinionated SOB, but I am angry at the problems this discussion has caused our profession, and I guess I will just have to continue to try to cover for you in the greater world outside this forum. [Cover for him/us... really...!!!! That was silly as hell. This discussion has not caused any problems for our profession. GET OFF THAT HORSE as the O2 must be thin up there.]

In the mean time, let me give you something to REALLY be concerned about. [sure... OK... YOU still think that YOU get to decide what we should be concerned about...] BCBS has announced that they will only reimburse Physician Assistant services at 85%, regardless of whether the supervising physician is in the building or not, and I'm sure other insurance companies will soon follow. [ummm.... most of us practicing PAs already know this. As a matter of fact... the students here also know this... why? Because it was discussed here several months ago on this very forum. It is YOU who is late to the party, but for some reason insist on trying to be condescending and talk down to us as if you are "educating" us on something that we don't know. I'll play like I didn't know this and ask... so what will happen if they finally remove "incident-to" billing from the billing matrix...?? In a time where EVERYONE is looking at reducing health care expenditures, do YOU think the AMA or AAPA or FAPA is gonna have some influence in this...??? I don't... cause its about the loot and EVERYBODY's reimbursements are being cut. Also... why do you think they are reimbursing NPs (and NOT PAs) directly at a consistent rate...??? For all intents and purposes, we do the same job clinically. There is no functional distinction between our practices. NPs can bill on their own. PAs can't. NPs can practice independantly. PAs can't. In theory, when a NP is sued, since the NP is a independent provider only that NP is sued.... but because a PA is a dependent provider, the physician is also sued as a matter of course. Sooo... Using your skewed logic from above, wouldn't this make hiring a NP more attractive than hiring a PA to fiscally minded /Liability adverse practice managers...???] I know Physician Assistants who have lost their jobs due to decreased reimbursement for certain services from insurance companies. [NOPE... it is more likely that the decreased reimbursement was simply a excuse to let those PAs go.]

And here's another one: In Florida, certain groups just got an amendment to a bill passed that will disallow Physician Assistants supervising nurses in geriatric centers. [Newsflash... PAs do NOT "supervise" nurses in many states. Open your eyes and look around... have you ever wondered why the heads of most departments in hospitals are NURSES...??? Only nurses "supervise" nurses in most states. Physicians and PA's write orders for nurses to follow but in many states DO NOT actually "supervise" them.] These, and others, are the real issues our profession has to work on. Your support of our professional organizations allows us to work to change these intrusions and to improve physician/PA team practice.

Sincerely,

One of many great post. Thank you Mr. C.

Uh Mike.... It would simply be handled like a DBA. Meaning nothing would change for the carriers or any legislation. It would only change in the marketing of the profession and by us in our practices.

I own a large Neurointerventional Practice that is a DBA, and really no one care about the name except for my accountant, once a year or so.

agree- all the yale affiliated hospitals in ct call their pa's "associates" and yet they keep their jobs and presumably their insurance bills get paid....

Archived