An Open Letter to All PAs: The Time Has Come for a Professional Name Change

With all due respect, Mr. President, I certainly don’t appreciate your dismissiveness. Some of your answers sound pre-programmed, almost robotic. Certainly not personal or respectful of the opinions of your constituency.

No, they would not have had an objection to Admiral Milner. Mike Milner is an admiral. Let me say it again - an admiral. Even the non-military amongst us know the import of that distinction. The title speaks for itself and certainly trumps the assistant part of his title. Poor example.

Unless you’ve spent a great deal of time working in tribal government, and I’m guessing you haven’t from the response, don’t comment on something with which you have little or no experience. It’s insulting to someone who has been knee deep in those trenches. I’ve had many conversations with tribal members and most agree that an associate title would indeed elevate perceived status. Bear in mind, the titles for government officials within the sovereign Indian Nations have taken on titles with English names. And believe me, they’re very fastidious about names and titles and rank. Associate would put us on par with a vice-chairman, who is in essence an associate chief, one who shares responsibility with the chief. It would be considered a respectable title.

Something Contrarian commented on, something I’ve been preaching until I’m blue in the face, and something you seem either not to understand or unwilling to admit. Words like “assistant” and “associate” have meanings that run much, much deeper than the definition you’ll find from the good ol’ Merriam-Webster. They have meanings that are deep rooted in culture; insinuations that are woven into the very fabric of our society. Those meaning are, in fact, societal and cultural norms. No media blitz, no amount of persuasion, no teaching one patient at a time is going to overcome those nuances. At the end of the day, to the layperson, no matter how we’ve pled our case, we’re still the guys and gals who hand the doctors their equipment. To politicians, legislators, and other prominent leaders, we’re still the guys and gals who have been sent to waste their time because the doctor didn’t have the time or desire to come himself.

First of all let me apologize to you if I have seem insensitive. Not my intent. My verbal and written communication style has been honed by years of discussion on multiple professional practice issues, and I have developed my opinions based on my experiences, and so have you. The title is a very emotional subject which tends to heighten emotion on all sides. There is nothing programmed about my deeply held beliefs. All my opinions are my own, and just ask Dave Mittman how long he and I have been debating this issue, and how long I've held these beliefs. :-)

I sense a significant amount of frustration here, appreciate it, and don't for a minute discount it. In my perception, my comment here in this forum has been fairly one side at least on the name, so I guess I will have to serve as the contrarian to get folks to look at all the issues surrounding our title, not just the local ones. We are going to have to agree to disagree on some issues. However, in my experience the common ground between and among PAs is vast when it comes to the patients that we care for, and I won't forget that.

--

Steve Hanson

Bakersfield CA

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First of all let me apologize to you if I have seem insensitive. Not my intent. My verbal and written communication style has been honed by years of discussion on multiple professional practice issues, and I have developed my opinions based on my experiences, and so have you. The title is a very emotional subject which tends to heighten emotion on all sides. There is nothing programmed about my deeply held beliefs. All my opinions are my own, and just ask Dave Mittman how long he and I have been debating this issue, and how long I've held these beliefs. :-)

I sense a significant amount of frustration here, appreciate it, and don't for a minute discount it. In my perception, my comment here in this forum has been fairly one side at least on the name, so I guess I will have to serve as the contrarian to get folks to look at all the issues surrounding our title, not just the local ones. We are going to have to agree to disagree on some issues. However, in my experience the common ground between and among PAs is vast when it comes to the patients that we care for, and I won't forget that.

--

Steve Hanson

Bakersfield CA

With all due respect sir I do not believe this is an issue that we can just say "we'll agree to disagree". The truth is that the name change issue shows how out of touch the AAPA is with everyday practicing PA's.

With all do respect sir I do not believe this as an issue that we can just say "we'll agree to disagree". The truth is that the name change issue shows how out of touch the AAPA is with everyday practicing PA's.

I too am an everyday PA. If what you want is a one-sided discussion, then I'm not going to be able to accommodate you. However, I honestly believe that PAs agree on many more things than they disagree on. Discussion of our title is like discussing religion or politics at the dinner table.... :-)

Here is the AAPA that I see. The past two years have been a remarkable time for PAs nationally and in every state. We have embarked on an ambitious strategic plan focusing on advocacy, research, and taking a critical look at the Academy's governance structure. We have reached critical mass as a profession. PA leaders were invited to the White House four times over the past year. We are not invisible anymore when President Obama mentions PAs in two speeches, and we are called to the WH to be reassured by the president's HC reform staff after the debacle at the June 2009 AMA summer meeting and 8,000 PAs responded in 36 hours expressing their displeasure. With the help of veteran PAs everywhere, we successful passed legislation to establish a full time Director of Physician Assistant Services in the VA Central Office This will make a huge difference to federal service PAs. Legislative change on the state level is accelerating rapidly over the past five years as legislators across the nation recognize and include PAs, and big victories are won that make a difference in eliminating the barriers to physician / PA practice in every community. The bumps in the road do continue, and get fewer and farther between as we educate and organize on the grass roots level. We have had a positive impact legislatively well beyond our size. The challenges we have faced are normal history of a young organization. HC reform afforded PAs the opportunity for some the biggest legislative victories in our history as nearly all of our long sought after federal agenda was adopted, which I guarantee you will make a difference to everyday PAs. We have a strong state legislative affairs staff working daily with PAs in your state to accomplish meaningful change. Research has been a problem, we recognize it and are doing something about it. The AAPA hosted a research summit in March attended by heavy hitting industry leaders, policy wonks, PA leaders, and research thought leaders both in and out of the profession to begin to define a coherent research agenda. The hallmark of a true profession is research, and we are way behind, but ready to catch up and start this critical never-ending process. The entire structure of AAPA leadership was addressed over the past year and one half, and the House will be considering these transforming changes on Memorial Day. Staff has been significant realigned to better serve the membership. I could give you a hundred more examples, but what I see is an AAPA over the past two years that has been self critical, self correcting, and willing to look at every aspect of its operation and challenge all assumptions, no matter how painful.

If all one sees is an organization through the lens of the title, then I'm not sure what else I can say.

--

Steve Hanson

Bakersfield CA

We are all PAs, right? Personally, I have zero expertise in marketing, branding, advertising, etc., We recruit and hire the best staff we can find on the nation level with expertise in advocacy, professional practice, and public relations. Doesn't it make sense to give our PR people the opportunity to give input into what to do to best utilize PR dollars? My gut tells me that a color glossy ad in Time make look great, but is it worth the money sitting on my coffee table, ignored and then discarded? The newspaper doesn't even last a day. Is there enough bang for the buck here? Does it really achieve the goals you all articulated so well? The story works for me as that is what touches people.

My only hesitation is if the direction of any PR campaign is left primarily in the hands of non-PAs (professional marketing folks).

Amongst the different hospitals/practices I have worked at, any time market materials were put together for hiring or promotion, the PR/HR people are clueless in how to advertise us. EMEDPA's description of a PA above.....

""john smith is the only medical provider in backwater tennesee. he sees 30-40 patients/day with every type of medical condition imaginable. he delivers babies and stabilizes patients with heart attacks. he fixes dislocated shoulders and treats ear infections at 3 am. he has 6 years of college education in addition to his prior training and experience as a paramedic in memphis. john is a physician assistant. "

....is what we need; not the same generic description which generally seems to fall over itself to emphasize physician supervision, and never getting to the core of how PAs provide physician level of service in every arena.

I'd bet that there are plenty of talented, bright and market savvy PAs within the AAPA (or willing to get invovled with the AAPA) who could create a killer PR campaign which hits all the right notes and addresses media avenues which would get us the exposure we want.

Here is the AAPA that I see.....

I don't see PAs on this forum disputing the progress the AAPA has made in the political arena (although there were certainly a few terse comments regarding your presence along side Obama as it relates to the recently passed health reform legislation).

No one, including myself, is discrediting those accomplishments.

But I think most, if not all, look at this previous post as if it says: your AAPA is doing THESE things for you, and even though you feel that your title is an important issue, the AAPA does not. The AAPA will not divert resources (from your dues) towards this issue. This prrposeful lack of representation is emblematic of of the waning support for the AAPA by PAs nationwide.

And I respectfully disagree that title change advocates are "looking at an organization through the lens of a title". Your constituents have an issue which they feel pervades all specialites and regions. There is a collective voice which is growing in strength.

A list of the AAPAs other accomplishments does not lessen the support for a title change, and I don't think the AAPA really believes that PAs are that short sighted.

If research is a major goal of the AAPA, then research into this very topic would meet mutual goals.

I too am an everyday PA. If what you want is a one-sided discussion, then I'm not going to be able to accommodate you. However, I honestly believe that PAs agree on many more things than they disagree on. Discussion of our title is like discussing religion or politics at the dinner table.... :-)

Religous or political discussions at the dinner table have no ramifications. Discussing the title of our profession and what direction we are headed in does. To compare this to a dinner table discussion on politics inappropriate and demeaning to the many of us ( even you stated likely majority) who support this. Rob

--

Steve Hanson

Bakersfield CA

Do not feel that there isn't a large cohort of PAs who are in support of your stated position. I would like you to clarify if this is your personal position versus the position of the AAPA President on this subject.

Clark Adams, PA-C

Grunt PA

Formerly titled Physician Associate now titled Physician Assistant still providing quality patient care.

Do not feel that there isn't a large cohort of PAs who are in support of your stated position. I would like you to clarify if this is your personal position versus the position of the AAPA President on this subject.

Clark Adams, PA-C

Grunt PA

Formerly titled Physician Associate now titled Physician Assistant still providing quality patient care.

Dear Clark,

Thanks. And, thanks for signing your post. The AAPA has the following official policies adopted by the House of Delegates:

HP-3100.1.0 Professional Title

HP-3100.1.1

The AAPA affirms "physician assistant" as the official title for the PA profession.

[Adopted 2000 and reaffirmed 2005]

HP-3100.1.2

The AAPA shall adopt “asociado médico” as the official Spanish translation for physician assistant.

[Adopted 1998, reaffirmed 2003 and 2008]

HP-3100.1.3

The AAPA believes that, whenever possible, PAs should be referred to as “physician assistants” and not combined with other providers in inclusive non-specific terms such as “midlevel practitioner”, “advanced practice clinician”, or “advanced practice provider”.

[Adopted 2008]

HP-3100.1.3.1

PAs should utilize, and encourage employers (e.g., hospitals, HMO’s, clinics), third party payers, educators, researchers, and the government, to utilize, the term “physician assistant” or “PA” to reflect the unique position of PAs in the healthcare system.

[Adopted 2008]

My posting here, and participation in this discussion is as an individual PA, but realize that it is difficult if not impossible, to separate out that I'm AAPA President.

--

Steve Hanson

Bakersfield CA

Religous or political discussions at the dinner table have no ramifications. Discussing the title of our profession and what direction we are headed in does. To compare this to a dinner table discussion on politics inappropriate and demeaning to the many of us ( even you stated likely majority) who support this. Rob

Rob,

I have always believed that PAs had a good, healthy sense of humor. I guess I was wrong. I apologize if I offended you.

--

Steve Hanson

Bakersfield CA

Would this work at all?: in each states' legislation about PAs it can be written that Physician Associates, previously known as Physician Assistants are entitled to the following: .... I mean this is just a random, rough idea, I'm no legislator, but it kind of makes sense.

I was thinking along these lines too. It seems that FAPA (Florida Academy of Physician Assistants) is always trying to put something through legislation every single year. So why not just add into the legislation that is currently or planning on being done in each state the added phrase to the extent of "From now on for all legal and legislative purposes in the state of (blank) Physician Assistants will now be referred to as Physician Associates." Just a though.

Well the one thing that this little conversation here did do is make up my mind as to what organization I will not send my money to.

You are among the majority. Thank you for speaking out as it is obvious that a name change is the last thing on the AAPA's list of priority. Don't lose hope and let's continue to move forward!

This is exactly the problem!!! I dont see how THEY (AAPA) does not see this as an issue. I do not understand how they dont think that descriptions such as this and being lumped in with MA's is not detrimental. Sometimes I think I need to go back to school and become an NP so I don't have to deal with this craziness. Rob

Any confusion in titles?

Job Opening:

Description

Reproductive Medicine Associates of New Jersey (RMA), one of the region’s leading centers for the treatment of infertility and research in reproductive medicine is pleased to announce our expansion to the Eatontown, NJ area. If you share our commitment to excellence in patient care and making dreams come true, this is an excellent opportunity to be part of a state-of-the art infertility practice as we continue to grow.

We are currently seeking a highly motivated Physician Assistant with prior medical office experience in a busy multi-physician practice, preferably women’s healthcare. Prior medical office experience can be as a nurse, medical assistant, or other hands-on patient care provider. The right candidate must have excellent interpersonal and multi-tasking skills, along with a demonstrated self-directed work ethic needed to succeed in this shared responsibility with our physicians. Strong computer skills and keyboard speed of at least 30 wpm is required.

Base schedule is approximately 30 hours per week, most days starting at 6:00 a.m., as well as alternate weekends (Saturday & Sunday) 6:00 a.m. – noon and occasional holidays.

At RMA, we offer a highly competitive compensation package and the ability to make a difference in our practice and in the lives of others. Please e-mail your resume to: resume@rmanj.com. We also invite you to visit our website at http://www.rmanj.com. Please click on the link for Job Description:

Job posting

I don't think abandoning the aapa is the right idea.

I think getting them to see that PR is a major issue for many pa's is the critical factor.

they do a lot of stuff that we never see that needs to continue but they need to make an effort to promote the profession to the public in a more visible way.

emedpa, pa-c, dfaapa

Any confusion in titles?

Job Opening:

Description

Reproductive Medicine Associates of New Jersey (RMA), one of the region’s leading centers for the treatment of infertility and research in reproductive medicine is pleased to announce our expansion to the Eatontown, NJ area. If you share our commitment to excellence in patient care and making dreams come true, this is an excellent opportunity to be part of a state-of-the art infertility practice as we continue to grow.

We are currently seeking a highly motivated Physician Assistant with prior medical office experience in a busy multi-physician practice, preferably women’s healthcare. Prior medical office experience can be as a nurse, medical assistant, or other hands-on patient care provider. The right candidate must have excellent interpersonal and multi-tasking skills, along with a demonstrated self-directed work ethic needed to succeed in this shared responsibility with our physicians. Strong computer skills and keyboard speed of at least 30 wpm is required.

Base schedule is approximately 30 hours per week, most days starting at 6:00 a.m., as well as alternate weekends (Saturday & Sunday) 6:00 a.m. – noon and occasional holidays.

At RMA, we offer a highly competitive compensation package and the ability to make a difference in our practice and in the lives of others. Please e-mail your resume to: resume@rmanj.com. We also invite you to visit our website at http://www.rmanj.com. Please click on the link for Job Description:

Job posting

No, No confusion there.

E... in general I agree with your premise BUT... the prompt and cavalier dismissal of any input from its constituents is indicative of a larger problem/attitude...

The sad part is that its becoming crystal clear that we could provide hundreds to thousands of innovative marketing ideas and examples of the problems the current name causes to support the notions, but its obvious that they aren't even being considered.

You know... like when you are debating with someone in person and it becomes obvious that you are wasting your time because they aren't even considering your perspective because instead of listening to and analyzing what you are saying... they are too busy looking for a counter argument and trying to "win."

I don't think abandoning the aapa is the right idea.

I think getting them to see that PR is a major issue for many pa's is the critical factor.

they do a lot of stuff that we never see that needs to continue but they need to make an effort to promote the profession to the public in a more visible way.

emedpa, pa-c, dfaapa

I see your point but what other method will wake them up to the fact that folks are unhappy? It's very obvious from Stephen's posts and replies that atleast he doesnt give a damn and is pretty flippant about the whole topic. Whether or not he says his opinions here are his own the fact of the matter is he IS the president of the AAPA and his opinion and what he says will be construed to also be the prevailing opinion of the AAPA.

Archived