An Open Letter to All PAs: The Time Has Come for a Professional Name Change

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a Neurophysiologist PhD/PA-C and compete against PT's with master and Doctorate levels, in the performance of electromyography. The physical therapist continue to

push as do the NP's & even Pharm -D's, with virtually no opposition. The physicians have no organization that can be mobilized like those mentioned because when you are fighting for something you value so much a license or scope of practice etc.. you'll fight. And if we push and this is the time because of the healthcare dynamics it would be hard for any legislative bodies justify the time and effort in mounting an opposition. In the past I went out of my way to explain my training and that I am a physician assistant only but I have advanced training at the doctorate level bla bla bla .. I have a badge that clearly says "physician Assistant" but I no longer explain my PhD with hesitation. I tell the patients I have a doctorate, I'm not a medical doctor, it's different then an M.D. and actually my PA training is more similar to a medical doctors training.

I'm a Neurophysiologist PhD/PA-C and compete against PT's with master and Doctorate levels, in the performance of electromyography. The physical therapist continue to

push as do the NP's & even Pharm -D's, with virtually no opposition. The physicians have no organization that can be mobilized like those mentioned because when you are fighting for something you value so much a license or scope of practice etc.. you'll fight. And if we push and this is the time because of the healthcare dynamics it would be hard for any legislative bodies justify the time and effort in mounting an opposition. In the past I went out of my way to explain my training and that I am a physician assistant only but I have advanced training at the doctorate level bla bla bla .. I have a badge that clearly says "physician Assistant" but I no longer explain my PhD with hesitation. I tell the patients I have a doctorate, I'm not a medical doctor, it's different then an M.D. and actually my PA training is more similar to a medical doctors training.

A situation where I can see justification for using the term doctor in the clinical setting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Sign me on;

Allan M. Bedashi, DHSc., MS, MPAS, PA-C.,. US Navy Retired, Past Program Director, Loma Linda University, CA. Current Founding Program Director/Developer, West Liberty University, WV. Practice: Orthopaedics/Urgent Care

I passed your name on to those who were behind this movement.

• 3 weeks later...

Has there been any progress made on this front?

I also just saw that there is a new National Association of Physician Assistants (NAPA), focused on promoting the profession, though it looks like the website is still very much in the works. Both this association and the Facebook group "PAs for 'Physician Associate'" were made by Michael Banuchi.

Personally I'd like to know something I can do to help. Unfortunately I'm only a student and not qualified to put my name on any letters... I've heard many times that the name change issue comes up and dies again, and would like to see it actually go somewhere this time, prove the naysayers wrong...

• 2 weeks later...

Another reason to show just how important this issue is:

Laws, Life, and Legal Matters - Court Cases and Legal Information at Leagle.com - All Federal and State Appeals Court Cases in One Search

"...and defense counsel explained that there was some confusion in the translations of physician's assistant and medical assistant during Santos's testimony.

The court excused the jury and asked the court translator, Guillermo Suquet, to take the stand. Suquet testified that when the court said medical assistant, he had translated it as physician assistant instead. The court concluded that the interpreter had not interpreted the question properly and that Santos could be confused by the questions. As a result, the parties stipulated that Santos had testified that he had never held himself out to be a PA."

• 4 weeks later...

this exchange is much akin to Chekov being interrogated by the FBI when he was captured in Star Trek IV or like The Classic Abbott and Costello "Who's on first?" bit LOL

It does prove to point that the name can be a liability...

"Here, during Santos's testimony, the following colloquy occurred:

Q: And did you tell him [Dr. De Quesada] that you were a physician's assistant?

A: Medical assistant. I never told him physician's assistant.

Q: You never showed him a license ever?

A: As a medical assistant.

. . . .

Q: Sir, are you saying that you never showed him or Ana Maria Fonseca a license that said you were a physician's assistant, not a medical assistant?

A: Medical Assistant.

Court: Did you ever show Ana Fonseca or Dr. De Quesada a piece of paper saying you were a medical assistant?

A: Medical assistant.

. . . .

Court: Did you ever take a piece of paper that said you were a licensed or authorized medical assistant and show it to Ana Fonseca. Did you ever do that?

A: No.

Court: Did you ever show such a piece of paper saying you were a medical assistant to Dr. De Quesada?

A: I don't understand what it means, medical assistant or physician's assistant. I have to be very clear on this. Otherwise, I might get the wrong answer.

Court: Did you ever show a piece of paper saying you were a medical assistant to Dr. De Quesada?

Counsel: The question is a physician's assistant. That's the question.

Court: No. I'm asking one and you are asking another.

. . . .

Court: You've got to clarify it. As long as we are talking one thing and he is talking something else, it's not fair to him or to you and the jury's — it's not fair to the jury.

Counsel: Okay.

Court: Did you show a document, piece of paper, saying you were a licensed medical assistant to the doctor . . . .

A: No.

Court: Now, then, did you ever show to Ana Fonseca a document saying you were a . . . physician's assistant?

A: I am not a physician's assistant. I am a medical assistant.

Court: Answer this question: Did you take a piece of paper that said you were a physician's assistant and show it to Ana Fonseca or the doctor in order to get the job? Did you ever do that?

A: No."

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not advocating anything here - just curious. After seeing "Physician's Assistant" listed for the umpteenth time - since the title is so prone to acquiring the possessive, would you accept the possessive if you could change "Assistant" to "Associate"? As in, of the two following choices, which would you prefer/choose:

"Physician Assistant" or "Physician's Associate".

• 2 weeks later...

A name change?

really, a name change?

Is that , like...really gonna make a lick of difference?

Will my donations and fees (should I choose to pay them) really going to be devoted to pushing for a professional name change?

maybe a dress code and mandatory pocket protectors.....That would help set us apart from the other professions too...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

HP-3100.1.2

The AAPA shall adopt “asociado médico” as the official Spanish translation for physician assistant.

[Adopted 1998, reaffirmed 2003 and 2008]

Interesting that their Spanish translation uses "Asociado" (i.e., associate).... "asistente" would be the correct translation from "assistant".

So in a strange way the AAPA agrees the word "assistant" is a misnomer.

If anyone can give me a reason how this name change would increase reimbursement, increase job opportunities, increase our ability to practice to our level of training or in any other way benefit the profession, I'd be happy to report back. Michael Funk, PA-C, etc.

Well here it is "Hot Shot Funk." PAs in Tennessee are having the door slammed in their faces here because the AAPA who, are supposedly hard at work in D.C. promoting PAs and the profession are actually doing little to nothing for PAs. Read this article. http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/jan/28/300m-tenncare-cut-planned What they were actually doing last spring and summer was promoting Obama Care. What they should have been doing is making sure PAs were considered "mandatory" providers like MDs and NPs instead of being lumped in with speech therapists as "optional" providers. One of the ways nurse practitioners have been able to attain the professional and legal status and recognition that they have is 1.) Insisting that they are INDEPENDENT and not subservient/dependent providers 2.) Insisting that they are (as their title proclaims) PRACTITIONERS and not simply someone's assistant. Under the current laws, regulations and even the view of the AAPA PAs are actually dependent assistants. Dependent upon physicians to practice and then when we do practice we do it as assistants. NPs are none of those things – they are practitioners. It’s no wonder CMS classified them with MDs as mandatory providers and left PA in the same category as speech therapists. We are all just allied health assistants and need to leave the heavy lifting to the practitioners. That is a very weak position for any profession to advocate its point of view from. There is a very old idea among the profession that if we submit ourselves to physicians and present our profession as dependent then physicians (and the AMA) will view us as less threatening and will be an advocate for us. That, my friend, is a myth if ever there was one. If we don't stand on our own two feet independently, fight for equal recognition with NPs and proclaim ourselves something other than "dependent assistants." We are going to lose the war - the battle is already lost If we don't get CMS to include PAs as mandatory providers.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived