An Open Letter to All PAs: The Time Has Come for a Professional Name Change

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This all paid off. aapa census results are in. of those expressing a preference a majority(45%) are in favor of name change!

In brief, among the nearly 15,000 PAs who answered these questions, 45.5 percent were in favor of a title change, 33.6 percent were against and 20.9 percent indicated they were either not sure, interested or preferred not to answer the question. Less than two percent of PAs recommended a professional title other than physician associate, which included physician extender, medical practitioner and associate physician.

This all paid off. aapa census results are in. of those expressing a preference a majority(45%) are in favor of name change!

In brief, among the nearly 15,000 PAs who answered these questions, 45.5 percent were in favor of a title change, 33.6 percent were against and 20.9 percent indicated they were either not sure, interested or preferred not to answer the question. Less than two percent of PAs recommended a professional title other than physician associate, which included physician extender, medical practitioner and associate physician.

And would you agree that this constitutes a substantial response from the AAPA on the issue of the title change?

And would you agree that this constitutes a substantial response from the AAPA on the issue of the title change?

indeed. now we need to see what the HOD decides and what the follow through is....if this is back burnered to be "studied" again many folks will be upset...

• 2 months later...

I know that I am following an old thread but the title change committee has sent a letter today to the president of the AAPA as this is unfinished business and Paul Lombardo, at the HOD, stated that this was not the place for discussion as this is a business matter. I don't agree with Paul on many things but I do on this and we are expecting the AAPA BOD to respond to our letter which is signed by the first PA, Generals, Admirals, State and National leaders and a group of forty year olds and youner who we will help to mentor ar they become the new leaders of the profession. Yes, it's time to change and this change can be painless or painful and the decision is with the BOD not with us. The "us " i am referring to are the 60%of the profession that have not joined the AAPA, the 6,5000 PAs who were never responded to and the approximately 10,000 PAs who are no longer satisfied with business as usual. Hopefully the letter will be recieved in the spirit it is intended but we will promise you that this issue did not die in Canada.

Bob

Welll said Matt as you and PAs in your age group are the hope of today and tomorrow. Some of us original signers may not be around in five to ten years but it is essential that thirty and forty year old PAs begin to take the leadership roles; not for glory and recognition but to keep this profession on target and alive for the future. I spoke to a PA from Texas tonight who is my age and we discussed that the AANP made the statement that by 2025 they will double their numbers. I believe that they meean it and I love NPs but I still don't want us to be called P/NP Assistants. Stand strong together today to preserve tomorrow.

bob:=D:

• 1 year later...

As an interesting side note, our much younger colleagues in the United Kingdom officially changed the name of the profession to "physician associate" recently after finding that the Physician assistant moniker was not reflective of the practice parameters and too restrictive. Out of the mouths of babes!

• 1 month later...

Archived