Online Classes-Add to the List!

Out of curiosity, where is everyone taking Medical Terminology at? I read a few pages back and there were multiple places that offer this course.

If anyone can recommend a cost effective and self paced (doesn't have to be) where I can take Medical Terminology at, it would be much appreciated!

Out of curiosity, where is everyone taking Medical Terminology at? I read a few pages back and there were multiple places that offer this course.

If anyone can recommend a cost effective and self paced (doesn't have to be) where I can take Medical Terminology at, it would be much appreciated!

I'm taking Medical Terminology through my University, which also has an online course: http://www.online.uillinois.edu/

FYI the MICRO has 2 in-person exams. At least from what I gathered today reading the syllabus.

Rio Salado college in AZ has an online A/P II class that is 8 weeks long starting the end of February. that would fit your needs! There are two online proctored tests, lab quizes, lesson quizes, and papers on varying topics. if you want the syllabus, I can forward it to you!

let me know

• 2 weeks later...

Hi y'all,

Long-time lurker here ...

First, I would like to thank the OP as well as the many others who have contributed to this thread. It has helped me greatly on my journey to become a PA.

Anyhoot, my contribution to the thread: some reviews about the online courses I have taken/am currently taking as well as an additional link I have discovered.

First, a bit of background. I have been out of college for over 10 years. Last year, when I decided to get serious about becoming a PA, I had the rude awakening that for a majority of schools, most of my pre-reqs were too old and would need to be repeated. Returning to a brick-and-mortar school, even for night/weekend classes, wasn't an option for me (still isn't, won't be for the foreseeable future), so I got to researching about how to make it happen via distance learning. Luckily, I stumbled across this discussion forum and, more importantly, this thread.

1. Rio Salado Community College: I originally took A&PI here about five years ago when I was kicking around the idea of applying to a military nursing program. The course was hard, very time intensive. I barely escaped with a B, and decided to shelve the school dream for a bit to focus on work and life. While the course was good, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, especially considering that there are other cheaper options out there. (Not gonna lie, as I am paying for my classes out-of-pocket, cost is a HUGE GINORMOUS factor.)

2. Clovis Community College: Last year, after I decided to seriously make a go at applying to PA school, I enrolled in A&P I & II based on feedback from this very thread. (I decided to retake A&P I, b/c two of the PA schools I am interested in have 6 yr limits for pre-reqs) Compared to my Rio Salado experience, the classes were cake. I learned a great deal, I received As in both, and it was the academic kick-start that I needed. I had to take spring semester of this year off, but am now back at it, and am currently enrolled in Intro to Psych and Nutrition for the summer. I have no complaints, and am doing well. For fall, I am enrolled in Microbiology and Developmental Psych, and Spring 2013 will take Med Terminology and Statistics. I would highly recommend Clovis to anyone. Tuition is cheap for out-of-state, and the instructors I have had thus far have been terrific.

Unfortunately, Clovis does not offer the remainder of my pre-reqs (Med Ethics, Gen Chem, Org Chem, Biochem, Genetics), so I am in the process of researching where to take these courses ...

Iowa Community College Consortium: https://secure.ecollege.com/iowacc/index.learn?action=Catalog

Offer multiple online classes that may interest this crowd, to include A&PI & II (w/labs), Bio I & 2 (w/labs), Intro to O-Chem & Biochem, Genetics, Nutrition, Intro to Psych, Developmental Psych, Medical Law, and Ethics. Tuition for online courses for 2011-2012 is $150/credit hour.

Good luck to you all!

:)

Hi y'all,

Long-time lurker here ...

First, I would like to thank the OP as well as the many others who have contributed to this thread. It has helped me greatly on my journey to become a PA.

Anyhoot, my contribution to the thread: some reviews about the online courses I have taken/am currently taking as well as an additional link I have discovered.

First, a bit of background. I have been out of college for over 10 years. Last year, when I decided to get serious about becoming a PA, I had the rude awakening that for a majority of schools, most of my pre-reqs were too old and would need to be repeated. Returning to a brick-and-mortar school, even for night/weekend classes, wasn't an option for me (still isn't, won't be for the foreseeable future), so I got to researching about how to make it happen via distance learning. Luckily, I stumbled across this discussion forum and, more importantly, this thread.

1. Rio Salado Community College: I originally took A&PI here about five years ago when I was kicking around the idea of applying to a military nursing program. The course was hard, very time intensive. I barely escaped with a B, and decided to shelve the school dream for a bit to focus on work and life. While the course was good, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, especially considering that there are other cheaper options out there. (Not gonna lie, as I am paying for my classes out-of-pocket, cost is a HUGE GINORMOUS factor.)

2. Clovis Community College: Last year, after I decided to seriously make a go at applying to PA school, I enrolled in A&P I & II based on feedback from this very thread. (I decided to retake A&P I, b/c two of the PA schools I am interested in have 6 yr limits for pre-reqs) Compared to my Rio Salado experience, the classes were cake. I learned a great deal, I received As in both, and it was the academic kick-start that I needed. I had to take spring semester of this year off, but am now back at it, and am currently enrolled in Intro to Psych and Nutrition for the summer. I have no complaints, and am doing well. For fall, I am enrolled in Microbiology and Developmental Psych, and Spring 2013 will take Med Terminology and Statistics. I would highly recommend Clovis to anyone. Tuition is cheap for out-of-state, and the instructors I have had thus far have been terrific.

Unfortunately, Clovis does not offer the remainder of my pre-reqs (Med Ethics, Gen Chem, Org Chem, Biochem, Genetics), so I am in the process of researching where to take these courses ...

Iowa Community College Consortium: https://secure.ecollege.com/iowacc/index.learn?action=Catalog

Offer multiple online classes that may interest this crowd, to include A&PI & II (w/labs), Bio I & 2 (w/labs), Intro to O-Chem & Biochem, Genetics, Nutrition, Intro to Psych, Developmental Psych, Medical Law, and Ethics. Tuition for online courses for 2011-2012 is $150/credit hour.

Good luck to you all!

:)

• 2 weeks later...