10 ways to tell that you don't have an emergency

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything with a chief complaint begining with the words " I want..." or "I couldn't get in to see my doctor or the WIC so I came here for..."

For any Canadians or Americans that understand, similar to the opening line, a positive Tim Horton's sign.

Lastly, a positive suitcase sign.

SK

Your symptoms started before you went on a 10 days cruise and you didn't want to let the symptoms stop you from going.

Occasional exception to this one. I had to call back an older patient back to the ED last year when his blood cultures from a day before grew out gram negative rods. The poor guy was scheduled to leave the next day on a trip of a lifetime transatlantic voyage on the Queen Mary 2! I've never felt so bad telling someone that it would be a terrible idea to travel; he'd been planning the trip for years, but somehow the thought of gram negative sepsis being managed by the cruise doc didn't seem like a great idea.

"the whole family was just in a minor fender bender in our range rover without vehicle damage but on advice of our lawyer all 9 of us are here to see if we have "whiplash" ". " we were told not to leave without mri's for all of us".

(don't EVER use that term-whiplash...it's not a real dx, it's a legal phrase to incite juries to give big bucks to the plaintiff ).

"the whole family was just in a minor fender bender in our range rover without vehicle damage but on advice of our lawyer all 9 of us are here to see if we have "whiplash" ". " we were told not to leave without mri's for all of us".

(don't EVER use that term-whiplash...it's not a real dx, it's a legal phrase to incite juries to give big bucks to the plaintiff ).

EMEDPA: speaking of, have you ever watched "Portlandia?"

I watched my first 4 episodes at my sons. It could easily be San Juania.

Archived