team health is a company that has contracts for many emergency depts, urgent cares, and hospitalist groups in many states. they may be the largest such group in the country, not sure. for a while they even sponsored an em residency for docs in florida.

see TeamHealth | Hospital-Based Physician Services, Emergency Department Staffing, Emergency Medicine Staffing, Physician Staffing Services, Clinical Opportunities, Hospital Services for more info on the organization.

I wasn't particularly impressed with their salary or benefits. for example their health care only covers the employee. if you want family coverage you have to pay for it out of your check. their cme and vacation are about 1/2 what most other groups cover an they didn't cover things like licences, dea and professional memberships. their retirement account is a basic 401k, nothing to write home about. their docs are great. good teachers and nice folks. the docs only get hourly +malpractice so they have to buy their owm bennies but they do pay their er docs $150-200/hr so hard to complain about that...

it would be a good first job, especially in em because they will hire new grads and many places will not. they will male you work for your money though. many of their depts schedule 4 twelve hr shifts/week=full time.

E, Thanks for the reply....

Team Health has actually offered a pretty nice package, at least I think so for a new grad. Here are the details:

Small, rural facility (18,000 yearly volume)

Contracted for 17 ten hour shifts/month @ $50/hr with the option to pick up as many extra shifts as I want

$5/hr quarterly incentive bonus for meeting patient satisfaction goals

$4,000 sign-on bonus to help with certification, dea, etc...

$2000 and 40 hours CME

12 hours pto accrued monthly

8 paid holidays

Full Benefits (including family coverage) and 401k

Malpractice and Tail

I was very impressed with the medical director I interviewed with, and everyone with Team Health has been very helpful and prompt so far. Nothing but thumbs up coming from me!!

• 1 month later...

Where do TH ER Docs make $150-200/hr? I work for TH. Docs are paid as 1099 Independent Contractors and PA's are W-2 Employees. I think that you are misinformed about those docs rates.

As for the hourly rate, That package is very good.

You have to compare apples to apples when looking at hourly wage.

Employee vs. Independent Contractor. There is a big difference.

$50 hourly rate

5 incentive bonus

2 SignOn bonus value $4000/2000hrs/yr

2 $2000 + 40hr x $50

3.6 12hr PTO x 12mo @$50

1.6 8 x 8hr holiday

3-10 health ins.

+10% full share of SocSec and Medicare tax (IC pay full 15%SS and 3%MC tax where the Employee/Employer each pay half)

All total about $75/hr equivalent.

So we all cheer at "$75/hr" and sneer at "$50/hr" but I would rather get the $50/hr as an employee.

The more you make, the more taxes you pay. It is better to make less 'money' and get more benefits. It kind of sounds backwards.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

talked to a team health rep yesterday at a conference. they still don't cover 100% of your family's medical coverage. they cover "most of it". not good enough. demand full coverage for your whole family for medical/dental/vision. you're worth it.

• 2 months later...

Here is what I was offered:

I am a PA with Urgent care experience of 10 years. They told me some shifts will be fast track, some in front ED.

75/hr to start for 3 to 6mo (they are changing EMR systems so this will vary). Then it is based on RVU's after that.

If you work less than 108 hrs a month, you pay $6 hr into a pool that you loose to the providers who work more than

108 hrs/mo. Independent contractor. They do cover malpractice with tail and claims made. We haven't gotten into

vacation. I was offered no health insurance. I was told I can pick my own hours. Part time or full time. I am in Colorado.

Still waiting to meet with medical director.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there EMEDPA - speaking of TH:

Here's what they are offering as of recent - $41 to start w/ $7 night shift diff. OT at time and half. Med/Dental/Vision "subsidized" - monthly premium with PPO at $430 employee/Family @ $939. 401k with match - unknown at what %, Basic & supp life no cost, long term disability no cost - both of these with option to buy more. Incentives as following: pts 1.4 - 1.499 add'l $1/hr, 1.5 - 1.599 = $2, so on so $1 up to $9...with "goal" set at min 1.3 - need to make 1.7. If one exceeds 2.3 - 2.399 additional bonus $1/hr for each one-tenth per hour over 2.399. Total hours worked and patients billed tracked to calc monthly bonus.

Comp of pay based on 4 elements: years of experience, night diff, incentive pay for volume of patients and overtime. full benefits considered comp that is comprehensive and "outstanding".

Data is used from bankers in region/city average PA w/ 1 yr exp making $37.13/hr total. Use 75% average 39.87.

Whatdaya think?

Happy Father's Day Everyone!

Archived