I wanted to know if anyone could add any input on this; 

I had requested a PA for a letter of evaluation. He was happy to agree to give one. I also had sent him a copy of my resume just because I thought that was the appropriate thing to do. 

last week at work him had mentioned two things... he had brought it up to me that I didn't have my GPA posted on my resume and asked if if I was planning to put it on my resume. he also started asking me things like "do you want me to just not address GPA at all then?". So, for the copy of the resume I had sent to her, I didn't put my GPA in because I didn't think it was going to be helpful (my undergrad is a 3.35 which is not competitive) The whole purpose of sending him a 1 page resume was so that he could know a little more of what I have done in undergrad; like, have a little more amount of information of who I am outside of scribing. (I've been a scribe for about 9 months; about 5 of those months have been heavily involved with this particular PA, so although we haven't had many conversations personally its not like I am a stranger to him 

The other thing that he requested is if I had personal statement finished. I will sincerely admit, I am quite behind on the application process as my personal statement still has work to do; I told him it's still being written. He asked if she should have a summary of it or something like that so he has more details to flesh out his evaluation letter. 

I told her I would email her about the GPA issue and the personal statement summary because he was asking out loud in front of the other doctors and employees in the nurses station and I was a little shy to answer. I don't know why, but I wasn't expecting him to ask those questions.

So here is what I was asking: 

1. Should I have 3.35 on my resume at all? (I was a public health major)

2. Is giving a personal statement/summary super necessary for you LOR evaluators? Because I really have alot more to do on my PS so I'm not sure how I can make a good summary in a short amount of time to give him; as well as the other evaluators.

Edited by jvma528612

I don't think GPA is mandatory for the resume.

Only my professor asked me to send him the PS because he had a lot of students asking him to write the letter, he can better personalize if he had my PS.

I think you can give him a paragraph that explains why you want to become a PA. Like the elevator speech that you would give during your interview. It will allow him to add a personal touch to your letter. If there are any attributes that you want him to address, I would remind him about that too even if you are not going to write about it in your personal statement. I told one of my recommenders that examples are looked at positively in recommendation letters. I said that if she talked about my teamwork or intellectual curiosity. I gave her examples of what I meant by reminding her about the time she showed me how to place sutures and times that I would help out by seeing patients on her schedule.   

He is doing you a favor! Some people would just take your resume and write a generic ass letter, he is giving you the chance to boost up your LOR. Write about what you want him to emphasize and highlight what qualities you have. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Riveroll
      Hello,
      I'm looking for PA shadowing opportunities in Dallas, Texas. I'm a 26-year-old Bachelors of Science in Biology graduate from the University of North Texas at Dallas pursuing a Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies. I moved to Dallas when I was 15 years old from Tampico, Tamaulipas, Mexico and would like to do something with my life and what a beautiful thing to help people who need it most.

Thank you in advance.
    • By Auraam1
      Hello, 
      My name is Aura Amaris and I am currently working at a Neurology clinic as a medical assistant/scribe. I am currently looking for any Physician Assistant shadowing opportunities near Miami, Florida to gain exposure in the healthcare field and implement my knowledge of the different duties/role of a Physician Assistant. 
      I am looking forward to learning as much as possible and grow in my journey towards becoming a Physician Assistant. If you have any questions or know of any shadowing opportunities available please contact me. 
      The best way to reach me is via email at auraamira25@gmail.com or at my cellphone number: 786-763-6674. 
      Thank you, 
      Aura Amaris. 
    • By CornellSPA
      Volunteers from the AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF SURGICAL PAs, the first PA professional organization to host Pre-PA events, will be hosting an engaging and informative PRE PA COACHING SEMINAR in TAMPA FLORIDA 
      WHEN JAN 18 2020   4-9:30 PM
      WHERE: USF  CAMLS center      https://camls-us.org/
      Faculty, students, and lecturers from Cornell University, USF, Stony Brook University, Loyola Marymount,  Touro, and others  are all presenting or planning to attend.
      Opportunities for mock interviews as well as critical CASPA essay reviews available 
      You can not miss this seminar...amazing admission tips, mock interviews, essay reviews, cutting edge PA news, and networking, shadowing, and volunteer experiences! WOW!

You will:
      *meet PA leaders & admission advisors
      *learn first hand tips and tricks to become a successful PA Program applicant.
      *Understand the amazing & rapidly growing PA career field.   *Get new info on CASPA! 
      *Earn a certificate of attendance, great on a CASPA application! 

This event is hosted by AASPA and given by Surgical PAs, PA school faculty members, and admissions experts! All volunteer their time to give this seminar. 

Come and learn amazing admissions tips & tricks! Understand the process from the inside and find out why PA school has become so competitive to get into and what admission committees look for.
      CNN, Money Magazine, US Dept of Labor list the PA profession as one of the fastest growing & highest paid careers.
      AASPA is proud to be THE FIRST PA organization to offer Pre-PA seminars, which have become more and more popular. 

*Seating is limited
      *Dress is casual, but not too casual (you may meet a future PA school interviewer!!)

This amazing seminar will include:
      -Overview of the PA Profession
      -PA Profession news that all applicants need to know
      -Essentials of academic prerequisites
      -Health care/patient care prerequisites
      -How to deal with CASPA
      -PA-wanna-be essays
      -How to stand out as an applicant
      -Tips for the returning student
      -One on one and group Q & A session
      -and much more!

Registration/donation ($25):  aaspa.com
      Since AASPA is a non-profit and the faculty are volunteers, it makes a great tax-writeoff! **For groups of 5 or more, you save $15 on each registration, email ceo@aaspa.com for info!!**

QUESTIONS?? 
      aaspa@affinity-strategies.com or 
      Corrine Marconi, Executive Director     corrine@affinity-strategies.com

HOT TIPS
      *On the same day, Saturday January 18, AASPA is hosting an ultrasound workshop with SPOCUS...volunteer opportunities to be an ultrasound model ...what a way to build your CASPA application. 
      *BRING YOUR RESUME, BUSINESS CARDS, AND SAMPLE ESSAY!
      To volunteer to be a POCUS model: aaspa@affinity-strategies.com
      *Discounted hotel rates will be available for Friday and Saturday nights for those flying in and/or volunteering at the ultrasound session. AASPA.COM for info (coming soon)
      AASPA Pre-PA FLyer 2020.pdf
    • By Briannaarroyo
      Hello, 
      In my pre-pa club a member asked a question about surgery for PA’s. The question was “Is it true that in order to assist in surgery you need to do an extra year of schooling after your PA program? Do this require you to pay more for school? Is this included in your PA schooling years or would you need to reapply for that surgical year?” 
      I thought it was an excellent set of questions, which I would like more answers for. 
    • By Lheitman11
      Hello all,
      First time posting here. I am currently a PA-S2 with an expected graduation date of July 2020. I’m unsure about my career after graduating from PA School, and was wondering about any benefits that may come with joining the military after I become certified. Any and all information regarding life/work in specific branches is greatly appreciated as I have no information on the topic as of now.
      Thank you!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More