more corporate disrespect

NW USA

so everyone in the hospital got a 3% raise in Jan then a 6% raise in October except the providers

Doc's ended up getting about a 15-20% raise through contract talks

PA/NP got nothing, nada

We all talked, put in a formal request - and admin just released a 3.5% raise but excluded top of scale people (those with 10+ years)

so now the new grads are making 110k and the highly experienced 10-30 year pa and np are making 120k

I simply do not understand

Am being told the salary range for PA is 110-120

I have repeatedly brought up that we are not like docs, that we get better with age, and at 20_ years in pcp fields are practicing the same as a doc with similar productivity.......  meet with no responses what so ever

Anyone else seeing that corp usa is just treating us like interchangeable widgets? 

I no longer wonder why there are no senior PA/NP in pcp fields in this hospital system...

off to work on my own business plan as this is nuts

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

This is corporate healthcare.

Worked for Valley Emergency Physicians.  Pay was poor, but could easily max out RVU based production and make 20% more. Generally poor benefits (no pto, 1 sick day/year).

VEP was bought out by USUCS, we were promised that there was no max on productivity pay, so was expecting to earn ANOTHER 20% (about 45% over the poor base)

But USUCS has a completely different formula for RVU distribution and/or billing.  My RVU/hr somehow dropped almost in half, with resultant 20% drop in pay. (to the poor base).  And benefits got worse (no sick day at all).

But hey, we just got an email resetting our pay a bit, now instead of a 20% pay cut it will only be 11% pay cut.

Still 30% less than I get paid working rural.

10 hours ago, Border said:

NW USA

so everyone in the hospital got a 3% raise in Jan then a 6% raise in October except the providers

Doc's ended up getting about a 15-20% raise through contract talks

PA/NP got nothing, nada

We all talked, put in a formal request - and admin just released a 3.5% raise but excluded top of scale people (those with 10+ years)

so now the new grads are making 110k and the highly experienced 10-30 year pa and np are making 120k

I simply do not understand

Am being told the salary range for PA is 110-120

I have repeatedly brought up that we are not like docs, that we get better with age, and at 20_ years in pcp fields are practicing the same as a doc with similar productivity.......  meet with no responses what so ever

Anyone else seeing that corp usa is just treating us like interchangeable widgets? 

I no longer wonder why there are no senior PA/NP in pcp fields in this hospital system...

off to work on my own business plan as this is nuts

I’m in the upper left as well, curious what system you’re with if you don’t mind PMing

• Upvote 1

Ultimately, your only real power in situations like these is to find another job, possibly relocating or traveling to do so.

I left one of the big 3 EM staffing companies to go with a small company that staffs rural critical access hospitals for a 30% raise.  My former employer didn't counter offer - they were downsizing at my facility due to dropping volumes.  I've stayed with my current company for 4+ years and now travel 2x/month for them for a total of about 17 days/month away from home.  They've also given me me about a 12% raise.

It's all supply and demand.  You have to decide if moving and/or traveling is the right choice for you and those in your life.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

21 hours ago, bike mike said:

The best way to make more money is to get a new job. My last job paid $110k/yr. No raise ever. Went to a new job that pays over $200k/yr with annual raises. Good paying gigs are out there. 

What speciality?  
where?

200k is where I think I should be at this point in my career.  So hard when monopoly corps just refuse to pay you what value you bring. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/29/2022 at 6:59 AM, MediMike said:

If I remember right @bike mike works cardiac critical care in...San Fran? San Diego? One of those hoighty toighty San's. 😉

I do work in one of the most hoighty toighty of cities, at least when it comes to housing costs, San Francisco. Used to work cardiac critical care but now in EP. 

I know some of you will say that the housing costs eats up my extra pay but I'm lucky in that I invested in a home here many years ago so don't pay a huge mortgage. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 9:36 AM, bike mike said:

I know some of you will say that the housing costs eats up my extra pay but I'm lucky in that I invested in a home here many years ago so don't pay a huge mortgage. 

Can you throw some specifics to correct or substantiate others views on this?

I have a $2k/month mortgage for a 3000 sq ft 5/3 house on 75 acres with stunning views, multiple ponds, and abundant wildlife. 10 minutes from grocery stores, theater, great public and private schools, airport (well...kinda).  And 45 minutes from two tertiary care centers serving a metro area of about 750k people.

Took my 5 year old into the city the other day. He asked "dad....what stinks?"  

-"son....that's the city!"

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

Took my 5 year old into the city the other day. He asked "dad....what stinks?"  

-"son....that's the city!"

Glad you have a nice place to call home. Not sure why you feel the need to call my place of residence a stink hole. Yes, SF has some major issues and the board of supervisors are a bunch of idiots, but there are a lot of things I enjoy about the City. Happy New Year. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bike mike said:

Glad you have a nice place to call home. Not sure why you feel the need to call my place of residence a stink hole. Yes, SF has some major issues and the board of supervisors are a bunch of idiots, but there are a lot of things I enjoy about the City. Happy New Year. 

Don't feel bad. Most major American cities have a stink to them. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, bike mike said:

I didn't call YOUR place of residence a stink hole, I asked for some specifics on your comment that your mortgage doesn't eat up much of your extra pay because you bought your home there a while ago.  "Too much" is subjective, and simply asked you to provide some specifics on what you thought too much was, and what you get for that.

I lived in San Francisco 30 years ago and housing was crazy expensive then.  I rented a 1 bedroom apartment back then for more than I get in rent today for a 4/2 1800 Sq ft single family house with big back yard.  Cant imagine how expensive it is now.  However it is an absolutely beautiful place, and with an added bonus of the best pizza IN THE WORLD just north of you in Petaluma.

And San Francisco has the benefit of having ocean/bay on 3 sides, so much of the city stink doesn't hang around as it gets blown out to sea.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

From the ocean you can literally smell New York from New London Connecticut.

NYC had a smell I could never quite pin down. It's not like urine or vomit or feces. The best way I could describe it is that it smelled like garbage juice. Like if you never hose out your trash can for years and you let it sit in the sun in summer. Once my trash cans start smelling like NYC I know it is time to hit them with Lysol. 

San Fran used to be one of my favorite cities. With the turds and the needles I'm never going back. I'll enjoy my memories.

It was bad before, but much, much worse after 9/11.  

My last time there was on a sailboat transiting from Maine to Florida about 4.5 years ago.  We came stopped in Montauk for supplies, then headed west through the sound.  When we hit The Race just off New London, my friend, the owner of the boat, asked what that smell was.  I told him it was New York.  He didn't believe me until 2 days later we were southbound off New Jersey and the air cleared.

Edited by Boatswain2PA

On 12/24/2022 at 12:39 AM, ohiovolffemtp said:

Ultimately, your only real power in situations like these is to find another job, possibly relocating or traveling to do so.

I left one of the big 3 EM staffing companies to go with a small company that staffs rural critical access hospitals for a 30% raise.  My former employer didn't counter offer - they were downsizing at my facility due to dropping volumes.  I've stayed with my current company for 4+ years and now travel 2x/month for them for a total of about 17 days/month away from home.  They've also given me me about a 12% raise.

It's all supply and demand.  You have to decide if moving and/or traveling is the right choice for you and those in your life.

Rural / Remote practice is sweet and good money, relative autonomy good work environment and RESPECT for your skills!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/1/2023 at 8:53 AM, bike mike said:

I went to college at UCSC and spent a lot of time in the city. SF has a lot to offer. Love the House of Nanking for Chinese food across from the Transamerica building. Little Italy is great. The North Beach cafe is wonderful. The zoo is great. Alcatraz and the wharf are fun. Traffic sucks, but it's a nice place to live if you can figure out the housing and avoid major roads on a daily basis. I can think of many worse places to live. 

23 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

I didn't call YOUR place of residence a stink hole, I asked for some specifics on your comment that your mortgage doesn't eat up much of your extra pay because you bought your home there a while ago.  "Too much" is subjective, and simply asked you to provide some specifics on what you thought too much was, and what you get for that.

I lived in San Francisco 30 years ago and housing was crazy expensive then.  I rented a 1 bedroom apartment back then for more than I get in rent today for a 4/2 1800 Sq ft single family house with big back yard.  Cant imagine how expensive it is now.  However it is an absolutely beautiful place, and with an added bonus of the best pizza IN THE WORLD just north of you in Petaluma.

And San Francisco has the benefit of having ocean/bay on 3 sides, so much of the city stink doesn't hang around as it gets blown out to sea.

I served 5 years total in SF back in the 80s', what the city is like now is far from my living experience. My last visit to SF was an eye opener for me the level of social dysfunction has overwhelmed the benefits of the city IMHO. I guess the recent census reporting movement population out of Californication speaks for itself.

1 minute ago, CAdamsPAC said:

I served 5 years total in SF back in the 80s', what the city is like now is far from my living experience. My last visit to SF was an eye opener for me the level of social dysfunction has overwhelmed the benefits of the city IMHO. I guess the recent census reporting movement population out of Californication speaks for itself.

To each their own.  Many people would hate the sound of owls and coyotes where I live.

Im just curious about what a well paid PA can afford in San Francisco, which is why I asked.  

And I'm sure some pre-PA lurkers would like to know as well as they dream and plan about their future.

BikeMike - my apologies for ruffling your feathers, it was not my intent.