more corporate disrespect

I fear there is ultimately going to be few places to escape the corporatization of medicine. Sure, it is taking over population centers and suburban areas now, but it is only a matter of time until the tendrils reach out into rural places. The only safe places will be those that are regarded as utterly unprofitable due to either volume or patient demographics. 

Places like NYC and Manhattan are for the corporate bigwigs. The ones we generate revenue for in support of their lifestyle. 

4 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

Sacramento, where house prices are half of the SF.

There is a reason for that. Central valley of CA is basically NV. Hot, dry, rednecks. I would not live there for 1 million dollars/yr.  

I was offered a job there when I had no other job as a new medic grad and said no in a heartbeat. 

1 hour ago, EMEDPA said:

There is a reason for that. Central valley of CA is basically NV. Hot, dry, rednecks. I would not live there for 1 million dollars/yr.  

I was offered a job there when I had no other job as a new medic grad and said no in a heartbeat. 

Hey now....rednecks are good people!

Otherwise concur.  I had a great friend whonlived in Sacramento when I lived in San Francisco so spent quite a bit if time there. Also did some training at McClelland AFB. 

All that, and the cost of living is still 33% higher than where I live! (According to nerdwallet).

While San Francisco is 50% more than Sacramento, and 109% more than where I live.

Edited by Boatswain2PA

Living near an ocean is worth a lot to many people. I am one of those people. I grew up and went to college with an ocean view. My first medic job was in a coastal community. 2 of my 3 current clinical jobs are in coastal communities. The other is in the mountains. My dream is to have a coastal view (relatively tiny) home within a decade, paid for outright without a mortgage. I plan to buy a parcel of land(1/4-1 acre) and build on it. Partially off grid. Solar, rain collection, connected to water and electric, but not sewer(incinerator toilets). Chickens and goats, etc

Yes, it will cost more than living in the midwest. To me it will be worth it.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

Living near an ocean is worth a lot to many people. I am one of those people. I grew up and went to college with an ocean view. My first medic job was in a coastal community. 2 of my 3 current clinical jobs are in coastal communities. The other is in the mountains. My dream is to have a coastal view (relatively tiny) home within a decade, paid for outright without a mortgage. I plan to buy a parcel of land(1/4-1 acre) and build on it. Partially off grid. Solar, rain collection, connected to water and electric, but not sewer(incinerator toilets). Chickens and goats, etc

My barracks sat along the beach next to the east end of Crissy Field  our cars were  parked in a lot that was routinely flooded during winter storms. Our housing while stationed in San Fransico my second tour was above Baker Beach, just outside of the Golden Gate close to Pacific Heights. My wife had a hard time getting used to the sound of waves crashing onto the shore and the fog horn sounding at night. All these very desirous lodgings cost me was many years of service to this country. Our apartment now rents for thousands of dollars a month!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

I miss the ocean.  Going on vacation in 48 hours and will be on it for a week!

When I lived up your way (Coos Bay/North Bend) the cost of living was probably only a little higher than where I am now.  Not sure how much that has changed.  Ocean views, of course, were premium.

3 hours ago, CAdamsPAC said:

My barracks sat along the beach next to the east end of Crissy Field  our cars were  parked in a lot that was routinely flooded during winter storms. Our housing while stationed in San Fransico my second tour was above Baker Beach, just outside of the Golden Gate close to Pacific Heights. My wife had a hard time getting used to the sound of waves crashing onto the shore and the fog horn sounding at night. All these very desirous lodgings cost me was many years of service to this country. Our apartment now rents for thousands of dollars a month!

Ever watch the little white boats doing surf drills off baker beach?

Edited by Boatswain2PA

5 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

I miss the ocean.  Going on vacation in 48 hours and will be on it for a week!

When I lived up your way (Coos Bay/North Bend) the cost of living was probably only a little higher than where I am now.  Not sure how much that has changed.  Ocean views, of course, were premium.

Ever watch the little white boats doing surf drills off baker beach?

We enjoyed watching the sailboats in the bay from our barracks on the shoreline. Every now and then we would see USCG  cutters  or patrol craft entering the bay.

11 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

Not sure how much that has changed.  Ocean views, of course, were premium.

Looking at ocean view lots from south beach to cannon beach ranging in price from 80-200k. Tiny house probably another 75k completed. less than 300k total certainly. 

• Upvote 1

On land I bought for $5,300/acre I saw 7 sand hill cranes out my back window yesterday.  Not sure where they were migrating from/to.  This was on my pond which is 150' from my back porch.  I love the ocean and vacation near there often (like the Florida panhandle).  But, I can afford this, and routinely see deer, wild turkey, hawks, etc in the back yard.  That's why I like the mid West - of course I grew up here too.

The diversity of what you can find in the USA is amazing.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

On land I bought for $5,300/acre I saw 7 sand hill cranes out my back window yesterday.  Not sure where they were migrating from/to.  This was on my pond which is 150' from my back porch.  I love the ocean and vacation near there often (like the Florida panhandle).  But, I can afford this, and routinely see deer, wild turkey, hawks, etc in the back yard.  That's why I like the mid West - of course I grew up here too.

The diversity of what you can find in the USA is amazing.

Come to Vermont where black bear, bobcats, deer, foxes and coyotes traverse my small 4 acre  forrested plot of land in the foot hills of the Green Mountains. Excellent fly fishing, downhill sking, lakes and streams for boating/ kyaking. If you have $200+K it all can be yours.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, CAdamsPAC said:

Come to Vermont where black bear, bobcats, deer, foxes and coyotes traverse my small 4 acre  forrested plot of land in the foot hills of the Green Mountains. Excellent fly fishing, downhill sking, lakes and streams for boating/ kyaking. If you have $200+K it all can be yours.

I love Vermont. There is a family house there. Property purchased in the NE Kingdom in the 60s for $30/acre x 100 acres. . Off grid Cabin on it. My wife can't do the snow 😥 I usually visit once or twice/year. If I wasn't going to do ocean, I would do ME/VT/NH. 

1 hour ago, EMEDPA said:

. If I wasn't going to do ocean, I would do ME/VT/NH. 

I don't know if it's the cold, or what, but if you don't like rednecks.....

Lots of folks who year-round up there are different.  I did 2 tours in Maine and bought a house second tour (an 1868 farmhouse).  I eventually sold it (owner financing) to someone who had "summered" up there and loved it.

She gave the house back to me after her 2nd winter.

Vermont has woodchucks not rednecks. Very different. They don't want the gubment to take their still away or tell them where they can park their snowplow or shoot turkeys. Much different than southern or western rednecks...

I have done many winters in VT to 25 below and it works for me, but not the wife.

I had an offer for a great job in rochester, NY from a PA school rotation and the wife said hell no. My family is from Boston. I can do cold. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

Vermont has woodchucks not rednecks. Very different. They don't want the gubment to take their still away or tell them where they can park their snowplow or shoot turkeys. Much different than southern or western rednecks...

I have done many winters in VT to 25 below and it works for me, but not the wife.

I had an offer for a great job in rochester, NY from a PA school rotation and the wife said hell no. My family is from Boston. I can do cold. 

Sadly a large chunk of Vermonters have become addicted to "The Big Government Teat"! While Bernie speaks all across America about gun control his message is significantly muted  here at home. I wonder why? The Burlington Leftist mob was all about MEDICARE for all until the rest of the state learned about the 4 billion dollars in taxes to fund it. It went away and no politician attacked or demeaned those who failed to support it. Vermont is beautiful but the leftist enclave of academia and politics of Burlington casts a shadow over the entire state. PA salaries are not as high as in the ajoining states but the working enviroment IMHO is far better.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Well, it totally depends by area.  At the time, that was a good price for working farmland in my county in SW Ohio.  It's up to about $8-9K/acre now, 7 years later.

I've heard from Ag sources that Ohio farmland is much more expensive because it is much more productive/acre.  But I didn't think it was THAT much more expensive.  That explains why there is so mu farming there in comparison to ranching.

When we bought land 5 years ago, around here it was 1200/acre for ranch land, and 1800/acre for dry (no irrigation) farm land.  I think it's up to 1500/2400 an acre now for that.

Of course, recreational and developmental land has no real upper limits, with some medium size tracts like this going for $10K/acre for out-of-state hunters.  We bought our 75 acres for 1800/acre and it was a steal due to the character of the land and how much wildlife we have. 

• Upvote 1