Posted numerous times on Huddle about the importance of the name change and OTP or full practice authority equivalent to NPs. All of it seems to be falling on deaf ears. 

Since the beginning of 2021, I decided to use my energy investing in cryptos such as bitcoin, ethereum and dogecoin rather than wasting time getting into some arguments about our professions current status which is in impasse. It is unfortunate that  People don't want to change for the better.. Currently I have a net profit equivalent to a newbie PA's  one year salary and keeps growing.   I hope the PAs who are actually doing their best to put our profession forward can also get rewarded like the crypto investors. Just like the old guards like Munger lost out big financially I can see this happening to old guard PAs soon

Edited by WantToHopeForPAfuture

Its not over until we quit. Title change took 40 years to get where it is today. Is it going where I'd like to see it go? No. But, at least, we are likely to shuck off "assistant".

Real efforts get FPAR started began 7 or 8 years ago. Look at how its progressing.

It is a war of attrition and a very long game to change a profession.

It isn't over until we quit trying.

• Like 1

I am not done yet. I am just diverting my attnetion and energy into something that would generate immediate financial profits (ie dogecoin and ethereum)

These same OLD GUARD PA's that don't want change also probably belong to the group of losers who are dumbfounded and disgusted with new 20 and 30 something year old crypto millionares. I  personally witnessed some college kids dropping out this year  with 5 million dollar profits. This crypto thing this change is happening yet some have no clue.. Yes, some are really bitter for missing out. Likewise, If we don't hurry up and get it like NPs, we will soon be left behind and be regretting just like those who missed out on bitcoin and dogecoin. We will be the losers that didn't see what was happenjng and could not adapt. We will be outside looking in.

22 minutes ago, MediMike said:

Can't help but feel like this is going to turn into a marketing thread for crypto...

Okay I will stop talking about it. My whole point is that I am not going to waste my time and energy for now when we are just going around in circles. I do not want to miss a huge opportunity to cash in with other things right now 

• Upvote 1

I hear you. It seems wise to seek out other endeavors and means of generating income and, eventually, wealth. Most of us old guys just plod along banking part of the paycheck. It always interests me and makes me a bit envious when someone does something creative and different that works out.

Many years ago I knew an Army dentist who decided he was done with the Army and dentistry and started a moving business and got contracted with the DOD moving military members. Last I heard he was happily working his butt off and making bank.

I thought it took stones to give up 2 careers and do something different.

I wanted to add the HUDDLE is an echo chamber for the old guard and they talk a lot, like I do, because they have all the experience etc. That silences others despite the pretense of (painful) civility and diplomacy. I get a few emails a week thanking me for continuing to press. My favorite was an assurance that lots of lurkers are listening and I'm not shouting into the wind.

Last edit..... just put in a bid for Doge. $500 ain't gonna break the bank and maybe I can get Reddit to run it up for me. 🙂

Edited by sas5814

9 minutes ago, UGoLong said:

I'm sure it works for some. On the other hand, investing is something that you can't see and don't understand sounds like Tulip Mania in the 1700s.

I don't really understand my 401k but I try. Tulip mania sounds like fun.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CJAadmission said:

Nah, now that it's legal, the good money is in reefer. 

😄 

The Dutch tulip bulb market bubble, also known as 'tulipmania' was one of the most famous market bubbles and crashes of all time. It occurred in Holland during the early to mid 1600s when speculation drove the value of tulip bulbs to extremes. At the height of the market, the rarest tulip bulbs traded for as much as six times the average person's annual salary. 

I prefer broad spectrum index funds, particularly from Vanguard, since they have the lowest fees.  I have been putting plenty of money into VTSAX and I think it is safer than the crypto kind of investments, but one never knows.  I agree with living below one's means and putting money aside in ways that will hopefully generate more income.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 1:16 PM, Reality Check 2 said:

Let's stay OFF topics like stocks and Bitcoin.

It's not medicine.

If folks like it - go for it.

But don't Amway me about it.

I don't want to have to say this but most PAs esp newbies  will probably need supplemental incomes going forward if they want to live comfortably. NPs in most states are INDEPENDENT providers while we PAs are just ASSISTANTS that need supervision, so they will likely end up getting higher paying jobs over us and we will getting leftovers 

• Downvote 1

On 5/4/2021 at 6:34 PM, ANESMCR said:

This is only the sixth time I’ve heard somebody brag about short term gains in crypto today.

Some made millions which most PAs will never even get close to as ASSISTANTS (unlike NPs who can own clinics, including covid clinics that allowed many to make millions this past year)

On 5/5/2021 at 12:16 PM, Reality Check 2 said:

Let's stay OFF topics like stocks and Bitcoin.

It's not medicine.

If folks like it - go for it.

But don't Amway me about it.

Why?  It's part of life, and if one is not investing in something one isn't going to become wealthy by throwing money in a savings account (especially not if we hit 10-12% inflation like some, myself including, are expecting).

We don't have to "Amway " anyone, but I would hope we could discuss ways to invest our rapidly dropping salaries.

I'll avoid Bitcoin, etc.  Yes, many are making money on it.  But the intrinsic value of it is just that other people will buy it.  And with so much money floating around, people are buying ANYTHING.  I expect it will crash to zero/near zero as our economy tanks and the government looks to tax it.

Someone might have a million in bitcoin from a $500 investment 5 years ago...but Biden is gonna want $396K of that when you sell it.  Those confiscator tax rates are likely to crash it by itself, but if you add an economy that is struggling under massive inflation and stagnation, people aren't going to spend their money on things like that.

Edited by Boatswain2PA