political discussions

Should overt violators of the political discussion rule be banned after warnings?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should overt violators of the political discussion rule be banned after warnings?

• yes
    • no

1. Agreed, I know that I am politically biased. For me, it's far, far more interesting than some boring clinical discussion. Some professional discussions can be intriguing...

2. Agreed completely....it's a private site...

3. Disagreed. 800,000 physicians (roughly), 90,000 PA's, so roughly a 1 in 10 chance of running into a physician of all types....think of your day and how many different physicians on different services in different specialties you interact with. I probably interact with 10-30 different physicians daily....The simple math is, that you as PA will interact with every type of physician in and throughout your career, often on a routine basis.

Re #3 this is probably unlikely. Like most forums there are a large total number of registered members, but only a small number of actively posting members. Their gross total is higher but the low number of PAs relative to docs and small % of docs SDN members makes it likely that we won't cross paths. This may be an issue in the future when the baby docs who grew up in the social media age become mature attendings. But then, mature is the key word and most of those will have outgrown their PA/NP paranoia and misconceptions.

Furthermore most PAs will interact with a small, limited # of docs (those in our practice). The exception is PAs in large centers with high physician turnover (university setting, 9% of PAs by 2010 data).

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only nice thing about having a political forum was that all those heated discussions had a nice corner to stay in & be ignored by those of us who didn't want to see them almost always degrade into name calling, etc. I could understand why the forum owners wouldn't want to spend on the bandwidth for it. There are other forums to go to for that kind of thing.

We DID have a separate forum for it previously. The acrimony bled over into all other threads. The discussion people had on the political forum would enter into clinical threads. Plus, the big problem was the political discussions in that isolate forum generated many PMs/emails to Banuchi and the mods about who got butthurt, who each person thought should bet infractions/bans, etc. The anger in those political threads pervaded the whole forum.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a courteous recovery room type area where these things can be discussed. Unfortunately the anonymity of the forum leads to cavalier/rude behavior and pointless back and forth.

We DID have a separate forum for it previously. The acrimony bled over into all other threads. The discussion people had on the political forum would enter into clinical threads. Plus, the big problem was the political discussions in that isolate forum generated many PMs/emails to Banuchi and the mods about who got butthurt, who each person thought should bet infractions/bans, etc. The anger in those political threads pervaded the whole forum.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a courteous recovery room type area where these things can be discussed. Unfortunately the anonymity of the forum leads to cavalier/rude behavior and pointless back and forth.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I know we used to have a political forum, & I was stating that the only plus I saw about it was that it had its own place &, as a simple forum member, I could simply ignore it to avoid most of the rants that took place there. It did bleed out into the other forums though, & I can only imagine all the crap you had to go through as mods behind the scenes, which is why I can understand why they wouldn't want to bring it back.

What is there to "deal with"?

1. Create a "bucket forum" for politics, sports, religion, whatever.

2. Set it so it can only be viewed by members to address the concerns of people who are worried that the viewing public would be scandalized by PAs having a political discussion.

3. Warn viewers that it is an unmoderated forum - enter at your own risk.

4. Have at it. If you don't like it, don't go there.

What is there to "deal with"?

1. Create a "bucket forum" for politics, sports, religion, whatever.

2. Set it so it can only be viewed by members to address the concerns of people who are worried that the viewing public would be scandalized by PAs having a political discussion.

3. Warn viewers that it is an unmoderated forum - enter at your own risk.

4. Have at it. If you don't like it, don't go there.

We deal with the requests/complaints from other users. It doesn't affect you since your nor a moderator. We get PMs asking for this or that person to be banned/warned/etc because they said a certain thing, insulted someone, etc. To think that a "Thunderdome" thread where anything goes and it will be self contained in pure fantasy. Some members expect that this forum will have some oversight. Not only do complaint PMs come from users in that thread, but the hostility in those threads carries over into other threads that are not "enter at your own risk".

We've been through this before, it didn't work well.

Most importantly Banuchi owns the forum and they're HIS RULES.

No one is trying to "shield" you from being offended. We are trying to provide a forum in line with the requests of the owner.

You can't stroll into somebody's living room and insist that in THAT part of the house they now have to play by YOUR rules.

There are plenty of other forums on line to discuss your non-medical political topics. You can post there.

We deal with the requests/complaints from other users. It doesn't affect you since your nor a moderator. We get PMs asking for this or that person to be banned/warned/etc because they said a certain thing, insulted someone, etc. To think that a "Thunderdome" thread where anything goes and it will be self contained in pure fantasy. Some members expect that this forum will have some oversight. Not only do complaint PMs come from users in that thread, but the hostility in those threads carries over into other threads that are not "enter at your own risk".

We've been through this before, it didn't work well.

Most importantly Banuchi owns the forum and they're HIS RULES.

No one is trying to "shield" you from being offended. We are trying to provide a forum in line with the requests of the owner.

You can't stroll into somebody's living room and insist that in THAT part of the house they now have to play by YOUR rules.

There are plenty of other forums on line to discuss your non-medical political topics. You can post there.

That's pretty f'n easy to deal with....simply find someone who wants to moderate the Political forum......they set the rules, THEY handle all complaints, bad posts, etc. When I moderate on the other forum, I am primarily responsible for the political forum. I handle all PM's, etc. The admins send it all to me if they get a PM, they forward it. You simply establish the rules, find someone willing to moderate, and then you and the other moderators wipe your hands and let someone else deal with it.

The only time the other supermods step in for me, is when I am on vacation....at which point the nearest computer BETTER be at least 1000 feet or more from me....

As you said though, it is Michael's call. It is his forum.

Wah, wah! Mr. Moderator, I am offended to the very core that Contrarian and physasst believe that our nanny state has an obligation to provide a public teat to suckle people people who are too dumb, lazy and/or shiftless to look after themselves.

My feelings are now hurt. I therefore demand that you ban them both for life, have their licenses revoked, and sow salt into their respective lawns.

Mark it well, lads. July 9, 2012 - my very first internet forum complaint. I think I just became a liberal.

I can reiterate and review a few things that it appears you missed:

1. This is a private forum, so there is no analogy between it and the government

2. If you ever met or talked with Contrarian you would know that he is not a "nanny state" guy.

3. It looks like that political jab was poking fun at the hipocrisy that all lawmakers exhibit, and not an endorsement of any policy.

Perhaps my meet and greet with Contrarian brushed me up on my "reading skillz"...."

But if you are offended you are always free to leave this private forum.

And formal complaints should be PMd to a mod or Banuchi.

Thanks....

Mr. (one of the) Moderator(s)

I can reiterate and review a few things that it appears you missed:

1. This is a private forum, so there is no analogy between it and the government

2. If you ever met or talked with Contrarian you would know that he is not a "nanny state" guy. ( +100 %... Dude is Not even close as anyone who has been here for a while knows that I DO NOT think that Healthcare is even a "RIGHT" like our true inaliable "rights" since it requires others to go hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt to provide it. But that's a WHOLE nother conversation)

3. It looks like that political jab was poking fun at the hipocrisy that all lawmakers exhibit, and not an endorsement of any policy. ( +100)

Spot on AndersEn... !!!:wink:

They (long-time posters and/or moderators) also have learned to avoid a "baited-trap" and therefore ignored/played past the racial-quasi-political remark above... :heheh:

Finally... the fact that they are even discussing this is absurd TO ME.

WE know that political dissussion HERE will only erode the civility on this forum.

The OWNER said that he doesn't want it... that should be the end of it...!!!

Just as if YOU decided that YOU don't want people smoking in your living room.

There should be no debate... smokers should simply smoke elsewhere.

I think what was done here is that a person was punished after breaking the rules of the forum AND was given repeated warnings. You (the forum) went by your rules. It does not matter whether we agree or disagree with her opinion but she did not adhere to the house rules and is banished. She may have been a great poster in the past and if that is true shame on her for ignoring the warnings when she had other fish she could have fried. She did this to herself. Let's move on.

Archived