political discussions

Should overt violators of the political discussion rule be banned after warnings?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should overt violators of the political discussion rule be banned after warnings?

• yes
    • no

recently a forum member was banned for frequent political posts despite a standing well known rule against them.

please let me know how you as a forum feel about this. if the majority wants this poster reinstated I will do it.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personal thoughts on her opinions aside, I have reviewed her posts and found she hasn't been derogatory or inflammatory in any way other than her views are different and she expresses them with fervor, not viciously. Inaccurate and without evidence, but not malicious.

Also, she has been far more active in clinical and helpful threads than just the political ones. So I say reinstate her.

recently a forum member was banned for frequent political posts despite a standing well known rule against them.

please let me know how you as a forum feel about this. if the majority wants this poster reinstated I will do it.

Politics and medicine are often intertwined....For example the SCOTUS decision, in which the only thread about a topic that was going to affect almost every PA was immediately killed.....If you don't want non medical political discussions, I think that is fine, as this is a site for PA's, but to not allow ANY discussion is pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Whether Michael, Bob, or the moderators think so or not, politics and medicine are continuously embedded with each other...to pretend otherwise is rather naive....

Politics and medicine are often intertwined....For example the SCOTUS decision, in which the only thread about a topic that was going to affect almost every PA was immediately killed.....If you don't want non medical political discussions, I think that is fine, as this is a site for PA's, but to not allow ANY discussion is pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Whether Michael, Bob, or the moderators think so or not, politics and medicine are continuously embedded with each other...to pretend otherwise is rather naive....

in the past we had a political forum and every post ended up being name calling and making fun of others religion or lack of religion. not my rules. I was happy to just ignore the political forum and let folks bash each other senseless but it was felt by others that it created an sdn like environment to leave it open.

What is the political discussion rule?

Also, to add to my previous post, I have no idea how many times or what was said in the warnings. It's hard to make a decision on this side of the fence. If she was told to NOT to do something and she continued, then I trust she was banned with good reason and it should stay that way. Several warnings is more than SDN would do. If she was just being annoying to hear, then bring her back.

in the past we had a political forum and every post ended up being name calling and making fun of others religion or lack of religion. not my rules. I was happy to just ignore the political forum and let folks bash each other senseless but it was felt by others that it created an sdn like environment to leave it open.

What's wrong with SDN???? :=D: I happen to love that place....It's kind of fun...the research forums are great.

She wasn't a terrible offender... Everyone knows what stance she will take. I'm fine with discouraging politics on the whole with warnings. I didn't know she was permanently banned. Seems kind of excessive.

she was one of the worst offenders when the prior political forum was open (resulting in it being closed) and was recently given ample warnings that continuing would result in a ban. once again, I will go with the majority at the end of the week regarding reinstatement.

She wasn't a terrible offender... Everyone knows what stance she will take. I'm fine with discouraging politics on the whole with warnings. I didn't know she was permanently banned. Seems kind of excessive.

Yeah, I moderate a Political Forum as the supermod, and I rarely ever permaban someone. For most minor infractions (insults usually) it's usually a warning, then a 24 hour ban, than a 72 hour ban, and then, if they STILL don't get it......bye bye...Major infractions (like the guy who told me I was a f*ggot in a PM) gets the permaban immediately, but I try to stick to temp bans.....

Hell, last year I was sick of it, so I temp banned myself....(not really, but it was a great joke to play on the forum).....

from the forum rules written by Banuchi( see green tab top of the page):

DO NOT post political threads to incite anger or simply to "make a point" about your political stance. All political posts must relate to medicine/healthcare. Any posts not following these rules will result in automatic deletion of the post and immediate banning WITHOUT notice.

What's wrong with SDN???? :=D: I happen to love that place....It's kind of fun...the research forums are great.

the health care masters and doctoral section is good as well but many of the residents and pre-allos spew anti-pa stuff left and right and most have never met or worked with a pa. anyone who isn't a residency trained/board certified md is obviously the devel and the death of healthcare as we know it. they even hate DO's over there.

I agree with this post.

I am happy to have health related discussions here as long as they don't devolve into name calling or saying ANY given political party or public figure is 100% right and anyone who disagrees is an idiot.

The political thread must have been before my time. I probably wouldn't have spent much time there anyway.

the threads always got ugly. lots of name calling and all xyz party followers are idiots, they are killing america and making it communist or totalitarian or whatever

Also, to add to my previous post, I have no idea how many times or what was said in the warnings. It's hard to make a decision on this side of the fence. If she was told to NOT to do something and she continued, then I trust she was banned with good reason and it should stay that way. Several warnings is more than SDN would do. If she was just being annoying to hear, then bring her back.

The problems arose during the 2008 pres election. It stemmed off healthcare but ran into everything else.

People got at each other's throats, and then there were constant PMs flying back and forth to the mods AND Banuchi. He was tired of dealing with it (and so were we) so we shut down the political page as well as those topic in general. It was a moratorium. And IMO the forum changed for the better.

We figured it would come around again, hoping people remain civil (and factual)............

It's not the content but those who carried it. Those threads devolved quickly. It's not naivete; it's simple observation of repeated behaviors that we all got tired of quickly.

E- re: your poll, permanent ban only after temp bans fail and PM warnings.

yup. I believe the person in question got a temp ban last time this topic came around along with a few other folks, some returned and some of did not. She did get some warnings this time around as well.

no opinion on whether banned people should be reinstated, they were warned.

Re: political discussion, unfortunately can not be discussed maturely on an Internet forum (generally)

SDN is quite a polarizing bulletin board (a lot of anti-PA, anti-NP sentiment, anti-nurse). Appreciate this website general tolerance.

only way to bring her back in is to offer a final warning - But I support keeping her out for a spell - ie 3 month ban....

this forum is a open national stage and to have flaming political statements makes us as a whole look bad - yes we all have free speech but we also have to be aware of how it looks to everyone john-q-public that reads this board.....

Archived