Ask a PA Admissions Director

Hi, I'm looking at schools right now and was told that the most important things to consider were PANCE pass rate and the quality of clinical rotations. I was wondering what are some way to determine if the rotations are "quality" or not and perhaps your recommendation of some schools that you believe to have quality clinical rotations?

Thanks!!

@warhorse I would follow up with them via phone after 2 weeks. Or request an individual appointment to review your file. That way you know whether or not to pursue taking additional coursework.

Thank you for your quick response.  This is in follow-up to that.

1.  I have asked for feedback from three of the programs but so far have gotten no response.  Can you tell me how long I should wait before asking again?

2.  I have already taken A&P, Micro Bio, Cell Bio, Animal Bio, Immunology, Intro to Gen Chem, Intro to Organic and Biochem, and the full Gen/Inorganic Chem series, all at CC.  I have As in all the bio and Bs in the chemistry.  I have considered the O-Chem series but found that it wouldn't open up many programs that will accept my lifetime GPA to begin with.  What would you advise?

Again, thank you for doing this.

@prepastudent2014 thank you for your question. Just be sure to disclose you underage drinking "charge" on your CASPA application so it is out there before a background check is run. If you don't disclose that prior it could cause issues. More than likely, your underage consumption is minor to most programs and I doubt it will affect your application. We see it more often than you think :)

@paadmissions:

I am currently in my third year of undergrad and am applying this upcoming CASPA cycle. I have a 3.95 GPA, around 250 hours of paid direct patient care experience, around 15 hours of shadowing, multiple extracurricular activities, and am active in the community. Becoming a PA has been my dream ever since I was young. Recently, I decided to go on Spring Break with my friends, but I do not turn 21 until next month. I chose to drink while on vacation, and was confronted by the police because they were questioning everyone in a specific area. I was not causing any trouble by any  means, but they arrested me regardless, and I was given a deferred prosecution. This means I had to pay a fine, and it will not be a conviction on my record as long as I do not get in trouble for one year, which I absolutely will not. I never entered a guilty plea, and the only charge against me is underage consumption. My question is this: If admitted to a program, is this enough on my background check for a school to revoke my acceptance? I am fully aware of the consequences of my actions and know that in no way does this reflect my true character. If accepted, I plan on disclosing this to the program prior to them running my background check, but I would like to know whether it is even worth applying this year in my situation anymore.

Thank you much.

@choctor I would recommend being a nurses aid in a clinic or hospital versus a summer camp. You'll have more exposure to the workings of the healthcare team.

Thank you for the advice! I had one more quick question, would working as a nurse's aid at a summer camp be a good option? I know this is a way to get a lot of clinical hours quickly, but I'm not sure how it compares with CNA's who work in the hospital setting. Thanks!

@lolacola thank you for your questions. PANCE pass rates are important but compare them to the national average when reviewing the rates. I think it's really hard to determine the quality of each programs clinical rotations from the outside. I say this because each program has obvious standards they have to meet when choosing rotations, but programs determine other characteristics to be of importance when they evaluate a site. What works for one program may not work for another (ie location for example). You could at sometimes be comparing apples to oranges. It's hard to explain that to applicants without throwing in accreditation lingo. That said, you could ask the program what they expect students to do on rotations that the program feels is quality preparation for clinical practice. A good program is consistent in all phases of the programs and can recognize program strengths and areas of improvement. Other things to consider when selecting a program are student and faculty testimonies, your overall feel if you visit the program, etc. Sometimes if you rely strictly on stats and hearsay you could overlook a program that could be a good fit. Every accredited program has good things to offer, it's just finding which one that fits you best. Hope this helps!

Hi, I'm looking at schools right now and was told that the most important things to consider were PANCE pass rate and the quality of clinical rotations. I was wondering what are some way to determine if the rotations are "quality" or not and perhaps your recommendation of some schools that you believe to have quality clinical rotations?

Thanks!!

First I want to say how thankful we all are for you to take the time to help pre pa students everywhere.

I am a recent graduate from a local missouri school with a 4.0 sgpa 3.9 cgpa

I have worked as a lab assistant/phleb for 2 years (30hr/week) and a pharm tech for or year before that. I am getting my EMT next semester to get better experience (expect 200-300 hours before application).

I have about 160 shadowing hours of a rural PA primary and 30 of a trauma PA at the hospital I work at.

I plan on applying this next cycle to lots of schools to increase my odds. The reason I am posting is because some of my pre reqs I took my freshman year (about 5 years ago from the time of application) do I still stand a good chance of getting in? Or do I need to think about retaking these classes or getting better HCE as an RT or RN before applying (this would meant pre reqs getting older and seems like a longer route to the same goal)

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

@phil87lip If you're applying to the same program I would wait until you get those hours before you submit your application. If you submit the same application without any changes made it could be perceived negatively by the committee if they indicated that was the problem. Hope this helps!

I had another question to ask. I was wondering which would be more beneficial for my application, applying early, or applying later with more volunteer service hours?

My lack of community service was the reason I didn't get any interviews last application cycle.

@kahindman1s thank you for your questions. Whether or not you need to retake the prerequisites is dependent upon the programs you're applying to. Be sure to check if there is a time restriction on the courses before you apply. I would stick with the route you have for your HCE. I think EMT work is just as competitive as a RT or RN. No need to spend more time and money going a different route if you're ready to work as an EMT in the near future. Thanks!

First I want to say how thankful we all are for you to take the time to help pre pa students everywhere.

I am a recent graduate from a local missouri school with a 4.0 sgpa 3.9 cgpa

I have worked as a lab assistant/phleb for 2 years (30hr/week) and a pharm tech for or year before that. I am getting my EMT next semester to get better experience (expect 200-300 hours before application).

I have about 160 shadowing hours of a rural PA primary and 30 of a trauma PA at the hospital I work at.

I plan on applying this next cycle to lots of schools to increase my odds. The reason I am posting is because some of my pre reqs I took my freshman year (about 5 years ago from the time of application) do I still stand a good chance of getting in? Or do I need to think about retaking these classes or getting better HCE as an RT or RN before applying (this would meant pre reqs getting older and seems like a longer route to the same goal)

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

In regards to our definition of a diverse applicant...diversity doesn't always mean race. It can be a combination of being from an educationally or economically diverse background, being a first generation college student, having cross-culture experience(s), military experience of some sort, and having a well-rounded background, etc. Again, I think every program has different opinions, but the characteristics mentioned above could fit most programs definition of diversity. Hope this helps!

What are tactful ways to let the program know what you are a first generation college student or economically diverse background? Personal Narratives?

I needed to fulfill my basic chemistry prerequisites so I decided to complete them at a local community college.

I was unwittingly instructed by admissions to take a chemistry course that is "for non-science majors".  It was a four credit chemistry with a lab.

Because I took the first one of that sequence I had to take the second semester in the same sequence so my 8 basic chemistry credits come from these "non science major" chemistry courses.  I will have an A in both, and I am planning to take organic 1 as well as biochem.  

My science/regular GPA is a 3.95  

My question is how I should address this, if at all, on my application?  Will admissions even recognize this fact and will they care?  Will they wonder why I took "easier" chemistry courses and hold this against me as an applicant?  is it worth drawing attention to this by attempting to explain it?

Thanks!

@lkaruga There is a section on the CASPA application where you can indicate "yes" or "no" to all of those things. If you are interested in returning to those type of places I would encourage you to address that in your personal statement. Hope this helps!

What are tactful ways to let the program know what you are a first generation college student or economically diverse background? Personal Narratives?

• Upvote 1

@MAPA Thank you for your question. There will be some committees that will probably care about why you took it for non science majors. That said, it sounds like you have a strong GPA that would show your ability to do well in sciences courses. If you do well in Org I, Org II and/or Biochemistry it would help your case, but I would probably check with the programs you want to apply to to make sure you don't have to retake anything. Hope this helps!

I needed to fulfill my basic chemistry prerequisites so I decided to complete them at a local community college.

I was unwittingly instructed by admissions to take a chemistry course that is "for non-science majors".  It was a four credit chemistry with a lab.

Because I took the first one of that sequence I had to take the second semester in the same sequence so my 8 basic chemistry credits come from these "non science major" chemistry courses.  I will have an A in both, and I am planning to take organic 1 as well as biochem.  

My science/regular GPA is a 3.95  

My question is how I should address this, if at all, on my application?  Will admissions even recognize this fact and will they care?  Will they wonder why I took "easier" chemistry courses and hold this against me as an applicant?  is it worth drawing attention to this by attempting to explain it?

Thanks!

Hello, I am about to graduate in the spring with a B.S. in Biology.  I have a 3.8 GPA, research experience, 20 hours PA shadowing, volunteer/ECs however no health care experience and I haven't take the GRE.

I am scheduled for a CNA training course and I can be done by June, but so many people say apply early, and I definitely can see the benefit in this.  On the current track that I am on though, I would just start acquiring HCE by the time I should have my CASPA submitted... at the same time self-studying for the GRE and taking it at some point (likely July)... would August/September be "too late"?? I don't want to waste all of this money to apply to 10 programs if by the time CASPA is submitted I look like a weak applicant (low HCE and possibly low GRE because of lack of time to study).  However I feel conflicted because I know by the time I would matriculate (if I am even accepted the first time) I will have a whole year of HCE.

I feel somewhat rushed but I'm having a hard time distinguishing if this is the "nerves" that come with first-time applicants or if I'm really running out of time to get everything completed by a reasonable date.  ALSO, one of the most annoying problems of all - my bachelors degree took the typical 4 years to complete; HOWEVER, I took college classes during high school (for example, psychology, sociology, english 101, calculus)... I took some my junior and senior year of high school, which makes those classes 6 years old already... And since I am taking a gap year that would make these classes 7 years old, if I waited another year to feel less rushed it'd be 8 and my top school requires prereqs within 7 years of matriculating.  So the expiration date on my prereqs are also a factor in why I want to apply this cycle.  

@mbh2 thank you for your question. If you have no HCE you may want to consider taking this application cycle off if the programs you're applying to require HCE. That way you'll have more under your belt when you apply next year. Typically those programs that require HCE accept students that have met or exceeded the requirement, and it may be a waste of money to apply too early. The courses that you took while in high school may not fall under the courses that may have a timeline. For example, programs that do use timelines usually have those restrictions on anatomy, physiology, chemistries etc. It's important to check the programs' requirements before you apply because most programs with time restraints won't require that every college level class be retaken if they're not within 5 years. Hope this helps!

Hello, I am about to graduate in the spring with a B.S. in Biology.  I have a 3.8 GPA, research experience, 20 hours PA shadowing, volunteer/ECs however no health care experience and I haven't take the GRE.

I am scheduled for a CNA training course and I can be done by June, but so many people say apply early, and I definitely can see the benefit in this.  On the current track that I am on though, I would just start acquiring HCE by the time I should have my CASPA submitted... at the same time self-studying for the GRE and taking it at some point (likely July)... would August/September be "too late"?? I don't want to waste all of this money to apply to 10 programs if by the time CASPA is submitted I look like a weak applicant (low HCE and possibly low GRE because of lack of time to study).  However I feel conflicted because I know by the time I would matriculate (if I am even accepted the first time) I will have a whole year of HCE.

I feel somewhat rushed but I'm having a hard time distinguishing if this is the "nerves" that come with first-time applicants or if I'm really running out of time to get everything completed by a reasonable date.  ALSO, one of the most annoying problems of all - my bachelors degree took the typical 4 years to complete; HOWEVER, I took college classes during high school (for example, psychology, sociology, english 101, calculus)... I took some my junior and senior year of high school, which makes those classes 6 years old already... And since I am taking a gap year that would make these classes 7 years old, if I waited another year to feel less rushed it'd be 8 and my top school requires prereqs within 7 years of matriculating.  So the expiration date on my prereqs are also a factor in why I want to apply this cycle.

So far I have a science GPA of 3.0 and overall of 3.3. I still have a few more semesters before I apply to PA programs and so far my GPA will be increasing (3.7 this semester). I also have a few more pre req's to take that can boost my science GPA. When I apply, I'll have around 700 hours as a resident care assistant at an assisted living home. In addition to this I have shadowed PA's, have been volunteering tutoring and mentoring underpriveleged children, and have been doing neuroscience research for a year. What do you think my chances are of getting accepted into a PA program? I am looking at Lock Haven, Drexel, DeSales, and a few others. Also how many should I apply to?

@paadmissions

Could you please tell me if I sound like an ideal candidate? Do you have any advice for me? Thank you so much for starting this - it's very helpful!

At application:

-       Patient Contact Hours: 1,000 hours (EMT, EEG Tech, CNA)

-       Bucknell University: 3.3 GPA Overall (senior year = 3.8 GPA)

-       GRE: 320

-       Shadowing: 240 (Children's Hospital Boston), 200 (Nemours), 100 (Geisinger) = 540 hours (all with Neurosurgery)

-       Personal statement –  explains that I battled a brain tumor my entire four years and how it affected my decisions (and clearly my grades, though I made Dean's List from the ICU my worst semester health wise and am by some miracle graduating with my class)

-       Autism and Developmental Medicine (Geisinger)/Bucknell research (4 years) (Published author)

-       Harvard/CHB research (3 months)

-       Can speak Spanish

-       President of BRAIN (4 years), Pre-Health Society (2 years), Student Health Advisory Committee (and Founder, 2 years)

-       VP of APO Community Service Fraternity (2 years)

-       Student Leader for Career Development Center – Health Network (2 years)

-       Biology tutor, Biology teacher’s assistant (4 years)

-       Nicaragua clinic volunteer (1 month, future: 6 months)

-       South Caicos clinic volunteer (4 months)

-       Hospice volunteer (1 year)

-       Campus activities chair for Chi Omega Bucknell Chapter (1 year)

-       Women's Rowing (2 years)

Overall GPA of 3.80

Science GPA 3.796

HCE: 1387 (500 Nursing Home and the rest working on Mayo hospital unit: respiratory, GI, oncology, pediatrics)

Volunteer hours: 240

GRE: V142 Q: 151 Writing 4.0 

Despite my low GRE (which I am going to retake, but I want to send my application in right away) do you think my other credentials are good enough to get me through the first cut?  I am only wanting to submit my application right away, because I do have everything ready and am worried about rolling admissions.  However, I don't know if my low GRE will ruin that even with my other credentials.  

Suggestions?

@rainyday thank you for your question. If you are able to spend more time with this PA so he can write a better letter see if the prRograms you're applying to will mind if a letter is pending and can be submitted at a later date so you don't have to delay your application. If not, I would recommend asking another superior who you worked with as a CNA to see if they can write a letter. It really depends on the expectations of the programs you're applying to as to which route to consider. If you have to have a PA write a letter you may need to see if you can find a PA who will let you shadow more than a few days. Obviously, the earlier you apply the better but if you have to delay submitting your application due to the letter make sure you're not submitting it too close to the deadlines so that you won't be considered. Hope this helps!

Hi there paadmissions, 

Here's my scoop: 

I'm planning on applying this upcoming cycle and I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about my chances. I have a great GPA, good GRE scores,  ~2,000 hours of experiences as a CNA in a hospital, lots of extracurriculars, volunteering, and some PA shadowing. 

My concern right now is LORs. I have asked my undergrad anatomy professor and my nurse manager to write two, and they both expressed that they would be able to write strong letters for me. I asked a PA that I shadowed if he would write me a letter, and though he agreed he seemed somewhat hesitant and I suspect that he would write me a "mediocre" letter. This is understandable since I only shadowed him for three days. Unfortunately I do not have any close relationships with the PAs in my work environment simply because CNAs have very little contact with the PAs and we are both very busy, furthermore the hospital where I work prohibits shadowing. I have had difficulty finding shadowing opportunities, and when I do find them the PAs are generally only willing to let me shadow for one day or half of a day. 

How does one mediocre LOR affect my chances? Should I try to find more shadowing opportunities and then potentially find another PA to write me a letter? This would mean applying later, and there's no guarantee that I could find a PA who would be able to write me a better letter. Should I simply go along as I was planning, apply as early as possible, and hope that the rest of my application makes up for it? 

If you have any insight or advice it would be much appreciated. I've worked very hard to come to this point and I don't want to inadvertently ruin my chances. 

Thanks so much for your time and consideration.

@snbags thank you for your questions. Make sure to look at the averages for GPAs of the programs you're applying to to make sure you're competitive with accepted students. Be sure to extract their prerequisites versus what you've taken and calculate a GPA(s) for those classes. That way you have an idea of how competitive you are with the entering students. If you fall below their averages reach out to those programs to see what they recommend you go back and take to be a more competitive applicant.

In regards to how many programs to apply to, that's up to you. A lot of the applicants who we interview say they apply to maybe 5-8 programs, but be sure the programs you're applying to are programs that you would truly be interested in attending. Sometimes it's best to take the time to attend an open house to make sure you can see that program as a good if for you. Hope this helps!

quote name="snbangs" post="164745" timestamp="1396996809"]So far I have a science GPA of 3.0 and overall of 3.3. I still have a few more semesters before I apply to PA programs and so far my GPA will be increasing (3.7 this semester). I also have a few more pre req's to take that can boost my science GPA. When I apply, I'll have around 700 hours as a resident care assistant at an assisted living home. In addition to this I have shadowed PA's, have been volunteering tutoring and mentoring underpriveleged children, and have been doing neuroscience research for a year. What do you think my chances are of getting accepted into a PA program? I am looking at Lock Haven, Drexel, DeSales, and a few others. Also how many should I apply to?

@pre-Pajla thank you for your question. I do think you're a competitive applicant in all phases. One suggestion: Make sure your personal statement also includes your views on the role of the PA as a part of the medical team and how your clinical experience ( and personal experience you mentioned) prepared you for PA school. Hope this helps!

@paadmissions

Could you please tell me if I sound like an ideal candidate? Do you have any advice for me? Thank you so much for starting this - it's very helpful!

At application:

-       Patient Contact Hours: 1,000 hours (EMT, EEG Tech, CNA)

-       Bucknell University: 3.3 GPA Overall (senior year = 3.8 GPA)

-       GRE: 320

-       Shadowing: 240 (Children's Hospital Boston), 200 (Nemours), 100 (Geisinger) = 540 hours (all with Neurosurgery)

-       Personal statement –  explains that I battled a brain tumor my entire four years and how it affected my decisions (and clearly my grades, though I made Dean's List from the ICU my worst semester health wise and am by some miracle graduating with my class)

-       Autism and Developmental Medicine (Geisinger)/Bucknell research (4 years) (Published author)

-       Harvard/CHB research (3 months)

-       Can speak Spanish

-       President of BRAIN (4 years), Pre-Health Society (2 years), Student Health Advisory Committee (and Founder, 2 years)

-       VP of APO Community Service Fraternity (2 years)

-       Student Leader for Career Development Center – Health Network (2 years)

-       Biology tutor, Biology teacher’s assistant (4 years)

-       Nicaragua clinic volunteer (1 month, future: 6 months)

-       South Caicos clinic volunteer (4 months)

-       Hospice volunteer (1 year)

-       Campus activities chair for Chi Omega Bucknell Chapter (1 year)

-       Women's Rowing (2 years)

@justine18 Thank you for your questions. I would recommend the retake in the GRE, but think you should be ok to submit your application early because you're exceeding recommendations (GPA and hours) for probably a lot of programs. You maybe surprised that an interview could be extended based on your current profile, but a retake wouldn't hurt. Hope this help!

Overall GPA of 3.80

Science GPA 3.796

HCE: 1387 (500 Nursing Home and the rest working on Mayo hospital unit: respiratory, GI, oncology, pediatrics)

Volunteer hours: 240

GRE: V142 Q: 151 Writing 4.0 

Despite my low GRE (which I am going to retake, but I want to send my application in right away) do you think my other credentials are good enough to get me through the first cut?  I am only wanting to submit my application right away, because I do have everything ready and am worried about rolling admissions.  However, I don't know if my low GRE will ruin that even with my other credentials.  

Suggestions?