Ask a PA Admissions Director

Hi, My Cum GPA is a 3.1, my pre req is a 3.2. I have over 750 hours of experience as a scribe and over 500 as a hospital volunteer. I am pretty involved on campus I am the president of a club, treasure of another, and secretary of a another club. I have also worked since freshmen year, jobs on campus, one is as a lab assistant for anatomy. I am a Biology major and Chem minor. My chem gpa is not good, its about a 2.7 and bio is a 2.9. They are low because I have been so involved on campus and have been working since freshmen year. I also have taken many hard classes together in one semester too. My GPA last semester was a 3.5 and I made dean's list! Do I even have a chance at getting accepted? What can I do if I don't get in? As a bio major I have taken many of the hard classes so if i go back for more school after graduation, what should I take? 

@meddreams Thank you for your question. To be honest, I'm really 100% sure about the answer to this question, but the most recent PAEA annual report I have access to is from 2010-2011. If you look on page 30 of this document you can get an idea of the type of students matriculating into programs. I'm confident that it is a goal of almost every program to have the most diverse class possible. Diversity is not just defined by ethnicity, but also age, gender, disadvantaged backgrounds, etc. It is important no matter what background an applicant has, that he/she is demonstrating academic potential to handle the rigors of PA school. I hope this may provide some insight. Thanks!

Do PA programs have the same trend in accepting Underrepresented minorities (URM) like medical schools do? Here are graphs for an example.

ayud6o.jpg

2ytptlj.jpg

@jesse The answer to that question, whether or not the programs will focus on your post-bacc work and upward trends, will depend on the programs you're applying to. I know our program does not have a "cut off" for GPAs (more so for overall GPA) because of applicants who may have a similar academic background like you. We would focus more on how you've performed in the prerequisite coursework, how many courses you took at one time, and where you took the courses. If applicants are in this situation, I usually ask them to email me transcripts so I can look over them before recommending they move forward with the application process. You may want to consider contacting the programs to see if they can provide the same feedback. Hope this helps!

Thank you for the information! I took your advice and am taking additional core PA courses this term (physiology, microbiology and developmental psychology). Many PA programs require a minimum 3.0 GPA to qualify for admissions. I would need to take an unrealistic number of classes to reach this level. Do admissions committees have any leeway with this requirement for people who have demonstrated years of high level academic and healthcare achievement? I will have taken 41 credit hours after this spring semester, with an expected total GPA of 3.9 (post bac), 2.78 (post bac + undergrad), and roughly a 3.7-3.8 prerequisite GPA. If so, any advice on how to contact admissions offices to discuss this topic? 

-Jesse

@mnaz Thanks for your questions. I do commend you for breaking down your biology and chemistry GPA the way that you have. I say this because our program recommends a 3.2 prerequisite GPA to be competitive with the applicant pool, but we focus a lot on how applicants have performed in the biology and chemistry requirements. Some applicants think just having a 3.2 is good enough, without considering their performance in these classes. With you performance thus far, I would encourage you to consider retaking a lot of the biology and chemistry courses that may be required for the programs that interest you. Now that you've gotten to the end of your traditional undergraduate career, you now can have more time to focus on improving your academic performance to be competitive with the applicant pool. If you retake courses make sure to take them at a comparable university to prove that you are capable of handling the same level of course at the same or comparable school. 

As far as your clinical experience, make sure the programs you're applying to accept scribing hours. Some programs do and some do not. You don't want to assume they count for all programs and make sure your volunteer experience, if you plan to use that as clinical experience, is at the level required. It's better to do this research now, rather than later in case you need to find another position. Hope this helps!

Hi, My Cum GPA is a 3.1, my pre req is a 3.2. I have over 750 hours of experience as a scribe and over 500 as a hospital volunteer. I am pretty involved on campus I am the president of a club, treasure of another, and secretary of a another club. I have also worked since freshmen year, jobs on campus, one is as a lab assistant for anatomy. I am a Biology major and Chem minor. My chem gpa is not good, its about a 2.7 and bio is a 2.9. They are low because I have been so involved on campus and have been working since freshmen year. I also have taken many hard classes together in one semester too. My GPA last semester was a 3.5 and I made dean's list! Do I even have a chance at getting accepted? What can I do if I don't get in? As a bio major I have taken many of the hard classes so if i go back for more school after graduation, what should I take? 

Thank you for coming here to answer our questions.

Should I send a "thank you" note after an interview? Does it make a difference? Is it considered impolite not to?

Does it matter whether the note is a physical letter or an e-mail?

If I interviewed with several people, do I send each and every one of them a "thank you" note?

My apologies if this has already been answered, but I didn't find it anywhere.

@neechee Thank you for your question. I do think it is polite and good etiquette to  send thank you letters to the people you interviewed with. It's never hurt our decision if an applicant doesn't send a thank you card, but I think it speaks a lot about the applicant to take the time and hand write a letter. Our faculty have accepted both handwritten thank yous and emails. I'm pretty old school and think a hand written letter is better, but it's up to you. If our applicants want to send letters, sometimes they send individual letters and some address one packet, containing all the thank you letters, to me and I distribute them to the appropriate person. Hope this helps!

Thank you for coming here to answer our questions.

Should I send a "thank you" note after an interview? Does it make a difference? Is it considered impolite not to?

Does it matter whether the note is a physical letter or an e-mail?

If I interviewed with several people, do I send each and every one of them a "thank you" note?

My apologies if this has already been answered, but I didn't find it anywhere.

Hi PA Admissions Director, I am just finishing up my prereqs this semester and getting things together to apply this April. I have hesitations about recommendation letters. The first letter I'm asking the PA that I'm shadowing. The second is from a superior nurses at my workplace. The third letter I'm thinking about asking one of my professors. I have all A's in my Physical Chem I and II classes. I feel that I was in the class for a whole year and I got all good grades in his class. However, the professor isn't very friendly in terms of relationships. He is very technical. I know he will write me a good letter, but I'm aiming for an excellent or "without reservations" letter since "okay" may not cut it. I volunteer at my local church for almost 10 years. The pastor knows me since I was young. He knows about my leadership experience and work ethics since I've done some projects there. He would write me an excellent letter. I know programs would most likely to see the professor's letter instead since it is a judgement of my academic side. Between the professor and the pastor, do you think I better go with the professor's letter although it may not be over the top kind of recommendation? 

Sorry for the long post. I really appreciate you giving us some thoughts! 

most of the schools require cumulative and science GPA to be above 3.0. Is that requirement specific only to undergrad GPA?

My postbac and graduate GPA are above 3.0, but not my undergrad. Any undergrad courses will consider as postbac even if I retake some of them to show improvement. Will the admission accept my graduate GPA for the requirement?

Most of my HCE is from volunteering in local clinics and hospitals as a medical interpreter. Besides interpretation and translation, I will also demonstrate any procedures in physical examination to help patient to understand doctors instruction.  Will that consider as a cross-cultural HCE? or will you suggest more hands on exp such as EMT & nurse aid? 

Thank you 

@ru2013 Thank you for your question. I would go with the professor. We don't always have to see "5s" all the way down the list for every category when evaluating an applicant. If he can recommend you without reservations that's what we want to see. Some professors are very strict evaluators and can sometimes fluctuate between 3s, 4s, and 5s when grading someone's abilities. 3s aren't bad as long as the follow letter supports your potential and they recommend you without reservations. Hope this helps!

Hi PA Admissions Director, I am just finishing up my prereqs this semester and getting things together to apply this April. I have hesitations about recommendation letters. The first letter I'm asking the PA that I'm shadowing. The second is from a superior nurses at my workplace. The third letter I'm thinking about asking one of my professors. I have all A's in my Physical Chem I and II classes. I feel that I was in the class for a whole year and I got all good grades in his class. However, the professor isn't very friendly in terms of relationships. He is very technical. I know he will write me a good letter, but I'm aiming for an excellent or "without reservations" letter since "okay" may not cut it. I volunteer at my local church for almost 10 years. The pastor knows me since I was young. He knows about my leadership experience and work ethics since I've done some projects there. He would write me an excellent letter. I know programs would most likely to see the professor's letter instead since it is a judgement of my academic side. Between the professor and the pastor, do you think I better go with the professor's letter although it may not be over the top kind of recommendation? 

Sorry for the long post. I really appreciate you giving us some thoughts! 

@cuzco Thank you for your questions. Just based on what you've posted, I'm assuming the other 1500 hours outside of the volunteer hours are hands on experience? If so, I'm assuming you're probably meeting a lot programs' HCE requirements. Make sure you're meeting the minimum requirements of the programs you're applying to. Sometimes if you base your judgement of whether or not you're competitive because you're looking at the average that is posted for the class profile, you may scare yourself off. For example, our incoming average for HCE is around 3,000 hours, but we require 500 hours. There are a few students who had over 25000 hours and that number alone skews the number to the right. If you're exceeding the requirements  I think you'll be ok. Hope this helps.

By the time I apply to schools in April 2015 I will have about 1,800 hours of HCE, 300 of these being unpaid volunteer clinic hours split between Peru and Tanzania. My overall GPA is a 3.7 and my science a 3.8.

Do I have enough HCE hours to be competitive?

@sakuraly26 Thank you for your questions. Every program will look at your GPAs differently. It sounds like you've done significant work to improve your GPAs in postbacc and graduate school classes. I would hope programs will at least note that you've made improvements, but not everyone is the same. That said, if they do look at those GPAs, the courses that you've taken would be something to be examined further. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I am a fan of post bacc programs as long as the courses are relevant to the coursework required for PA school. Some applicants who have done post bacc work don't come close to meeting the prerequisites for PA school. I've come across post bacc programs that offer a chance for applicants to take and retake courses that would help boost a prerequisite GPAs, and some programs that don't offer any chance of doing that, leaving the applicant still with a low prerequisite GPA. 

In regards to your translating hours, there are many programs that don't accept those hours so my advice would be to obtain a job like an EMT or a nursing assistant. These positions are fairly common hours for a lot of programs, probably the majority of programs, so it would allow you to cast your net further. Hope this helps!

most of the schools require cumulative and science GPA to be above 3.0. Is that requirement specific only to undergrad GPA?

My postbac and graduate GPA are above 3.0, but not my undergrad. Any undergrad courses will consider as postbac even if I retake some of them to show improvement. Will the admission accept my graduate GPA for the requirement?

Most of my HCE is from volunteering in local clinics and hospitals as a medical interpreter. Besides interpretation and translation, I will also demonstrate any procedures in physical examination to help patient to understand doctors instruction.  Will that consider as a cross-cultural HCE? or will you suggest more hands on exp such as EMT & nurse aid? 

Thank you 

Hi PA Admissions!

I'm currently planning to apply this 2014 cycle.  I just had a question regarding how competitive I would be.  I'll be graduating this May with a cumulative GPA of 3.3 and a science GPA of about 3.05.  I do have over 4,000 HCE hours as a Physical Therapy Tech and plan to have near 100 hours of different PA shadowing by the time of submitting my application.  I feel I can get good recommendation letters from a professor, a PA, and the PT I worked with for years.  

The thing that worries me is my GPA.  I started off pretty well, then got some C's after I got married (no I'm not blaming the wife!) and then started to do a bit better getting mainly A's and B's.  I did get a C+ in Biochemistry this past fall semester which may hurt as it's right before I graduate.  It was a weird class that switched professors halfway through and totally threw me off.  In an interview setting, would it be helpful to explain this lapse or would it look more like I am trying to find excuses?

Anyhow, any advice you can give on how competitive I can be and what more I can do to strengthen my application would be greatly appreciated.  It's taken me awhile to figure out what to do with my life and I strongly feel being a PA is the best fit for me.  Thank you so much for your time!

@morandred Thank you for your question. I would recommend boosting the science GPA to be more competitive. Sometimes PA programs will take the time to review your transcripts to offer feedback on possible classes that you could retake to help that GPA. You can always email them and ask. It may be that you need to retake courses that are relative to the programs you're applying to. If you are granted an interview the C+ in Biochemistry may be questioned so be prepared to answer like you've mentioned below. A change in instructor can throw a lot of students off, but make sure you're not placing all the blame on the instructor. It can be perceived as making an excuse. Think about things you could have done differently or you may want to go as far as retaking the class. Hope this helps!

Hi PA Admissions!

I'm currently planning to apply this 2014 cycle.  I just had a question regarding how competitive I would be.  I'll be graduating this May with a cumulative GPA of 3.3 and a science GPA of about 3.05.  I do have over 4,000 HCE hours as a Physical Therapy Tech and plan to have near 100 hours of different PA shadowing by the time of submitting my application.  I feel I can get good recommendation letters from a professor, a PA, and the PT I worked with for years.  

The thing that worries me is my GPA.  I started off pretty well, then got some C's after I got married (no I'm not blaming the wife!) and then started to do a bit better getting mainly A's and B's.  I did get a C+ in Biochemistry this past fall semester which may hurt as it's right before I graduate.  It was a weird class that switched professors halfway through and totally threw me off.  In an interview setting, would it be helpful to explain this lapse or would it look more like I am trying to find excuses?

Anyhow, any advice you can give on how competitive I can be and what more I can do to strengthen my application would be greatly appreciated.  It's taken me awhile to figure out what to do with my life and I strongly feel being a PA is the best fit for me.  Thank you so much for your time!

Hi PA Admissions!

Thank you for continuing to answer questions for so long! 

What's your opinion on my competitiveness as an applicant? Ideally I'd like to apply in May as soon as I finish my last pre-req. Is there something I can be doing now in the next 3 months to make me competitive? Also, I have a specific question about how to represent my current job.

I graduated in 2011 from Johns Hopkins University with a 3.09 in Behavioral Biology. I've since taken my missing pre-reqs at my local college (A&P, Micro, Orgo Chem, Medical Term, Pharm) and raised my GPA to 3.27 with a science GPA of 3.03. 

HCE-

Shadowed a PA in an urgent care/semi-GP clinic-- 150 hours

Shadowed an MD/PhD & counselors in a mental health clinic- 400 hours

Research assistant clinically oriented studies (I worked with doctors and techs in MRI's and PETs, set up subjects for vitals, performed urinalysis)  -- 4,000 hours

Currently I work for a staffing agency in mental health. I average 32 hours a week on an as needed/PRN basis. My title is relief behavioral tech, but I fill in on many different units and with each day/assignment my job changes. I am a patient sitter in the ER & then on hospital floors for patients who have been legally committed for a 72 psych hold. I work in a nursing home as a patient care tech. I work with adults and children with mental illness or substance abuse as a behavioral tech. I love this job because I do get to see and assist with healthcare in many different forms. I'm not sure how this will come across with CASPA though. I currently have 245 hours & am estimating 700 hours at the time of my application. 

Work/Volunteering/Other- I'm not sure what information you need for a complete picture of me!

Undergrad research assistant a mouse lab doing surgeries & daily care

Library circulation aid

Summer student teacher to under privileged youth at math camp

Varsity athlete for 4 years

Club coach for a season & volunteering with a local high school's program

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide! I decided on this career path less than a year ago, but I'm very motivated and sure this is what I want because I've thoroughly researched the career as well as other options in healthcare (NP, MD, DO, midwife even). 

I have a question about my personal statement in my caspa application.  I have a 3.5 gpa and have been diagnosed with learning disability as a sophomore. I feel that I have overcome it and very confident in my abilities to academically succeed in a PA program. I have voleenteer experience that is rooted in the fact that I have a learning disabilty. I am nervous about admitting this fact in my application.  Do you think if I mention my diagnosed disability it may effect me in a negative way?

@prepakatie Thank you for your questions. Have you taken a look at your GPA in the prerequisites required for the programs you're applying to? I'm assuming that you've done well in the missing prerequisites you just completed since your GPA jumped up to a 3.29, but you may want to email your transcripts to the programs that interest you to make sure you're on par with what they're looking for. Your overall GPA of 3.23 seems to probably meet the cut for most programs and your clinical experience seems to be solid and positions that would count for most program. I would encourage you to prepare for the GRE if you have not already. If the programs you're applying to require the GRE, I'm sure that will be factored in as well. I would continue the path that you're on and if you need to retake any classes, hopefully the programs you contact will offer that advice for you. You could start lining up the people who you want to write letters of recommendation for your application.  CASPA opens on April 16th this year so make sure to get all your ducks in a row to fill out your application. Hope this helps!

Hi PA Admissions!

Thank you for continuing to answer questions for so long! 

What's your opinion on my competitiveness as an applicant? Ideally I'd like to apply in May as soon as I finish my last pre-req. Is there something I can be doing now in the next 3 months to make me competitive? Also, I have a specific question about how to represent my current job.

I graduated in 2011 from Johns Hopkins University with a 3.09 in Behavioral Biology. I've since taken my missing pre-reqs at my local college (A&P, Micro, Orgo Chem, Medical Term, Pharm) and raised my GPA to 3.27 with a science GPA of 3.03. 

HCE-

Shadowed a PA in an urgent care/semi-GP clinic-- 150 hours

Shadowed an MD/PhD & counselors in a mental health clinic- 400 hours

Research assistant clinically oriented studies (I worked with doctors and techs in MRI's and PETs, set up subjects for vitals, performed urinalysis)  -- 4,000 hours

Currently I work for a staffing agency in mental health. I average 32 hours a week on an as needed/PRN basis. My title is relief behavioral tech, but I fill in on many different units and with each day/assignment my job changes. I am a patient sitter in the ER & then on hospital floors for patients who have been legally committed for a 72 psych hold. I work in a nursing home as a patient care tech. I work with adults and children with mental illness or substance abuse as a behavioral tech. I love this job because I do get to see and assist with healthcare in many different forms. I'm not sure how this will come across with CASPA though. I currently have 245 hours & am estimating 700 hours at the time of my application. 

Work/Volunteering/Other- I'm not sure what information you need for a complete picture of me!

Undergrad research assistant a mouse lab doing surgeries & daily care

Library circulation aid

Summer student teacher to under privileged youth at math camp

Varsity athlete for 4 years

Club coach for a season & volunteering with a local high school's program

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide! I decided on this career path less than a year ago, but I'm very motivated and sure this is what I want because I've thoroughly researched the career as well as other options in healthcare (NP, MD, DO, midwife even). 

@kade.magleby Thank you for your question. I know our program does not hold it against an applicant if he/she has a learning disability and admits it. If you do mention it I would approach with how you overcame it and make sure to note that you are prepared to handle the rigors of PA school. If you plan to get assistance with your disability in PA school (i.e. extra testing time, etc) and you're accepted, you need to make sure you communicate with the program faculty so they can make accommodations for your prior to you enrolling. Sometimes paperwork has to be provided. Hope this helps!

I have a question about my personal statement in my caspa application.  I have a 3.5 gpa and have been diagnosed with learning disability as a sophomore. I feel that I have overcome it and very confident in my abilities to academically succeed in a PA program. I have voleenteer experience that is rooted in the fact that I have a learning disabilty. I am nervous about admitting this fact in my application.  Do you think if I mention my diagnosed disability it may effect me in a negative way?

@jooney Thank you for your question. It's always pleasant to see letters of recommendation from alumni, but it's not always going to over shadow the application if the application is not competitive. Applicants must demonstrate the academic potential to be successful in the program regardless who recommends them. We don't want to set applicants up for failure if we don't feel he/she will be able to handle the curriculum. Hope this helps. 

Hello PA admissions,

Would a strong LOR from a PA alumni of the school I am applying to influence my chances in any way of being accepted to the school's PA program? Thank you.

Thanks PA Admissions!! I'll start emailing programs! I've been hesitant to bother them when I assume they're busy with so many applicants. I do have a quick follow up. I've already taken my GRE. I scored 165 (75%)- quant , 195 (95%)-verbal & 4.0 (54%) in writing. Should I retake it because the writing is low? I really don't want to, but I think it stands out in comparison to the other scores. 

Thanks again!! It's been very helpful to me to read all of your responses on this thread!! 

Hello PA Admissions,

I plan on applying this upcoming cycle, but I have a dilemma.

I have a B.A. in Biology and an M.P.H. My undergrad GPA was an embarassing 3.0 overall, 3.2 non science, 2.8 science( This was due to life changing events, lost both my parents in undergrad and stayed in school, when I couldn't really focus), however I did post bac work in all science classes, and earned a post bac GPA of around 4.0. I also completed the M.P.H. with a 4.0 in 3 consecutive semesters, when it is suppose to take 2 years full time.

In addition, even with the low science GPA, I had As and Bs in classses such as biochemistry, clincial biochemistry, diagnostic microbiology, immunology and so in, it was the lower level science classes that hurt me more than upper level.

When I apply I will have around a 3.1-3.2 science, a 3.4 non science and probably a 3.3 overall, my current new GRE scores are 155 quant, 155 verbal, and 4.0 writing. I also have thousands of hours working at a hospital, shadowing drs and PAs etc.

My main question is this: with the 4.0 M.P.H. GPA, high post bac GPA, and generally upward trend, will I even be considred or would I just be overlooked, due to damage I did to my GPA in undergrad.

@prepakatie i would not recommend you retaking the GRE. I think your scores are well above average for Q&V and the writing section is within the average of probably most programs. 

Thanks PA Admissions!! I'll start emailing programs! I've been hesitant to bother them when I assume they're busy with so many applicants. I do have a quick follow up. I've already taken my GRE. I scored 165 (75%)- quant , 195 (95%)-verbal & 4.0 (54%) in writing. Should I retake it because the writing is low? I really don't want to, but I think it stands out in comparison to the other scores. 

Thanks again!! It's been very helpful to me to read all of your responses on this thread!! 

@twsurfsnow Thank you for your questions. I would be happy to look over your transcripts to let you know what I would recommend. I think your performance is strong, but without looking at how you've performed in the common prerequisites that are required for most programs it's hard for me to give an accurate answer. If you want to email them to me at jmish@methodist.edu feel free. I think the rest of your stats (GRE and hours) are solid. Thanks!

Hello PA Admissions,

I plan on applying this upcoming cycle, but I have a dilemma.

I have a B.A. in Biology and an M.P.H. My undergrad GPA was an embarassing 3.0 overall, 3.2 non science, 2.8 science( This was due to life changing events, lost both my parents in undergrad and stayed in school, when I couldn't really focus), however I did post bac work in all science classes, and earned a post bac GPA of around 4.0. I also completed the M.P.H. with a 4.0 in 3 consecutive semesters, when it is suppose to take 2 years full time.

In addition, even with the low science GPA, I had As and Bs in classses such as biochemistry, clincial biochemistry, diagnostic microbiology, immunology and so in, it was the lower level science classes that hurt me more than upper level.

When I apply I will have around a 3.1-3.2 science, a 3.4 non science and probably a 3.3 overall, my current new GRE scores are 155 quant, 155 verbal, and 4.0 writing. I also have thousands of hours working at a hospital, shadowing drs and PAs etc.

My main question is this: with the 4.0 M.P.H. GPA, high post bac GPA, and generally upward trend, will I even be considred or would I just be overlooked, due to damage I did to my GPA in undergrad.

Hi paadmissions!

Thank you for answering all of the questions on this forum. I am currently in the process of earning my bachelor's degree and plan on enrolling in the PA program at Methodist U. I am familar with the requirements and wanted to ask a question concerning the experience hours. I have volunteered several years at my local hospital. None of the duties performed were clerical and I did various tasks, most of the time, involving direct patient contact. Will these volunteer hours count towards the required experience hours?