Ask a PA Admissions Director

@ejw50 Thank you for your questions. For traditional students who want to enter into PA school right after they complete their bachelor's degree,  I always recommend to our undergraduate students to prepare for the GRE around their sophomore year or during or right after they finish their math requirements for their major. The reason I say that is because the GRE is math heavy and rather than having to go back and relearn everything it's best to sit for it sooner rather than later. Your scores are good for 5 years and it gives you plenty of time to retake it if you're not happy with your scores.

You would make application to PA school in between your Jr and Sr. year. A hypothetical situation for you....say you're a Jr now and want to enter into a program with a start date in August 2015. The application cycle for that entry date opens mid-April 2014...this year...so you're applying this spring and summer (I would recommend you start the application in April). Keep in mind not every program will have an August start date, so if they begin in January of 2015 and you haven't completed your bachelor's degree by then you may have to wait an application cycle to apply to that program. The tricky part about applying is keeping everyone's start date separate and making sure that you're meeting deadlines with any outstanding requirements. Deadlines for prerequisites are all over the board, but application deadlines can be misleading so the earlier you apply the better off you'll be. I hope this makes sense and best wishes!

When should an undergraduate like myself, who is determined to get into PA school, start studying for the GRE, and apply to specific PA schools during my undergraduate?

I was wondering if I could get some advice on my letters of reference. I am currently reapplying to PA school- I don't want to blow my chances by asking for the wrong letters. I have a 3.95 overall GPA from both undergrad Bio/Psych and my Education Masters. I'm currently working as a patient care tech as a hospital earning my HCE hours. My GRE scores are pretty good 159V, 153Q, 5.0 AW. I have 4 schools that I'm applying to and 2 out of the 4 want an academic reference from a professor/faculty member as a reference. They were pretty specific and to the point- I even called admissions. However, as it's been stated in other threads, I think my academic record speaks for itself; I really just want a GOOD letter! So here are my choices/dilemma:

1. I worked in a research lab in undergrad (graduated in 2010) and my PI is still willing to write me a LOR. I believe she will write me a pretty good letter. She wrote one for the last app cycle, and I'm assuming she would be looked at as more of an academic reference, but since I last worked for her 3-4 years ago, I feel that it's a bit out of date...How do admissions feel about the date I last worked for a person/timing of a reference?

2. I worked as a Health Science teacher for 2 years in an urban area. It was a challenging job and as a new teacher, I was assigned a mentor by the building principal, and he happened to be the lead teacher for the science department. He was amazing! He received $100,000 grant for our department for having his students sequence a gene of a sunflower, we developed a co-taught pharmacology unit together for our seniors, it was overall a great experience. He actually was in medical school for 2 years before leaving (by choice) and pursuing teaching. He offered to write a letter for me as we became pretty close over those 2 years; he didn't want me to leave the district. I'm sure he could attest to my abilities. I really want to ask him, but I'm thinking that many PA schools won't see it as a good reference because he was technically a "colleague" and is just a "teacher". I say the latter begrudgingly because I think too much weight is given to titles rather than the quality of a person... sad.gif

My other letters will come from my charge nurse on my floor (she's great and see's me work with patients almost every time I work if she's charge) and a surgery PA I've shadowed a couple of times- really supportive and gives good guidance for application stuff.

What should I do?

Thank you so much!

Also Gervon R.T. check the FAQs of each school carefully- also CALL the admissions about your situation.  Some of the schools I've applied to do not count hours that were earned during the process of certification as HCE.  Only after you are certified and earning hours would those schools count it.  For example when I did 100 hours to earn my CNA, they would not count.  It really stinks, but watch out for that! Read the fine print :)

@banwvd Thank you for your questions. I would probably go with your first option, research lab, to write that academic reference. If the programs you're applying to allow additional LORs outside of your CASPA application you could possibly submit the other letter (have him mail the letter to the program). Our program also requires an academic LOR so I'm looking at it from our perspective. We're not the type of program that gets bent out of shape if LORs are "close" to meeting our recommendations, and since you're a recent graduate we would hope if you have options like you do. Other programs may be more strict about the policies so try and adhere to their requests if possible. Hope this helps!

I was wondering if I could get some advice on my letters of reference. I am currently reapplying to PA school- I don't want to blow my chances by asking for the wrong letters. I have a 3.95 overall GPA from both undergrad Bio/Psych and my Education Masters. I'm currently working as a patient care tech as a hospital earning my HCE hours. My GRE scores are pretty good 159V, 153Q, 5.0 AW. I have 4 schools that I'm applying to and 2 out of the 4 want an academic reference from a professor/faculty member as a reference. They were pretty specific and to the point- I even called admissions. However, as it's been stated in other threads, I think my academic record speaks for itself; I really just want a GOOD letter! So here are my choices/dilemma:

1. I worked in a research lab in undergrad (graduated in 2010) and my PI is still willing to write me a LOR. I believe she will write me a pretty good letter. She wrote one for the last app cycle, and I'm assuming she would be looked at as more of an academic reference, but since I last worked for her 3-4 years ago, I feel that it's a bit out of date...How do admissions feel about the date I last worked for a person/timing of a reference?

2. I worked as a Health Science teacher for 2 years in an urban area. It was a challenging job and as a new teacher, I was assigned a mentor by the building principal, and he happened to be the lead teacher for the science department. He was amazing! He received $100,000 grant for our department for having his students sequence a gene of a sunflower, we developed a co-taught pharmacology unit together for our seniors, it was overall a great experience. He actually was in medical school for 2 years before leaving (by choice) and pursuing teaching. He offered to write a letter for me as we became pretty close over those 2 years; he didn't want me to leave the district. I'm sure he could attest to my abilities. I really want to ask him, but I'm thinking that many PA schools won't see it as a good reference because he was technically a "colleague" and is just a "teacher". I say the latter begrudgingly because I think too much weight is given to titles rather than the quality of a person... sad.gif

My other letters will come from my charge nurse on my floor (she's great and see's me work with patients almost every time I work if she's charge) and a surgery PA I've shadowed a couple of times- really supportive and gives good guidance for application stuff.

What should I do?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi PA Admissions Director, I want to ask you a few questions about the GRE and test scores. Since GRE scores are required for some programs, but not all, should I send the scores from GRE testing center that I get the first four free designations to CASPA and from CASPA they will send the scores to designated programs? or send the scores to each program that requires the GRE from the testing center. If so, each additional program after the first four will be charged 25$. How does this normally work? Thank you for your time and inputs  

Hello,

I am having a tough decision whether to continue to work towards a PA acceptance or go the NP route ( I am an RN). I am eager to be accepted to a PA program since I believe the medical vs nursing model of education will prepare me to be a better clinician. However, the program I am considering applying to (I am not willing to relocate and there is only one program in my area) is through that university's school of medicine and typical acceptance GPA is 3.6-3.7 and 50-60% or higher verbal and math GRE scores. Though they also weigh heavily on life/work experience, I do not know whether I will even be competitive or not even though minimum science/cumulative GPAs must be above 2.8

Here are my stats:

2013 GRE Stats: 150 math, 150 verbal, 4 essay

Cumulative GPA (not counting in progress courses): 3.4

Science GPA (not counting in progress courses): 3.2

Work experience: 6 + years as a critical care RN working closely with MDs, NPs, PAs, etc.

I know that it is tough to say whether I would be competitive or not but the program I am applying to will not offer individual advising and any questions such as these I field to them are replied to with "please refer to the website". I am eager to begin schooling (either as NP or PA) as soon as possible and deciding against pursuing the PA route would save me thousands of dollars, though I will continue to take required courses and spend the funds if I have somewhat of a chance.  My cumulative/science GPAs reflect my undergraduate course work dating back to 2001 (and over 200 credit hours) so repeating coursework to pull up the GPAs would be a very daunting and expensive task. 

Any advice?

Thank you

@ru2013 Thanks for your questions. The first thing to do for the schools that require GRE scores, look at their GRE codes on their websites. Some programs allow CASPA to verify them and some programs want official scores to be sent to them. The code they've designated will get the scores where they need to go. For example, our program allows CASPA to verify the scores so the designated code we give (0399) sends the scores to CASPA. But again, whatever code they give will get the scores where they need to go. Save a copy of your score report that ETS sends you just in case. Hope this helps!

Hi PA Admissions Director, I want to ask you a few questions about the GRE and test scores. Since GRE scores are required for some programs, but not all, should I send the scores from GRE testing center that I get the first four free designations to CASPA and from CASPA they will send the scores to designated programs? or send the scores to each program that requires the GRE from the testing center. If so, each additional program after the first four will be charged 25$. How does this normally work? Thank you for your time and inputs  

@rnfromAZ Thanks for your question. If the program is not willing to offer any advice I would encourage you to take a closer look at your science or prerequisite GPA. I would assume that you will need to boost that at least to a 3.4 from a 3.2 to be competitive with the applicant pool. However, your GRE scores are at the 50th percentile and your clinical experience is very solid. If you apply and are not offered an interview, I'm assuming the science GPA is what is holding you back..this is without me knowing much about other selection factors they may be considering. Hope this helps!

Hello,

I am having a tough decision whether to continue to work towards a PA acceptance or go the NP route ( I am an RN). I am eager to be accepted to a PA program since I believe the medical vs nursing model of education will prepare me to be a better clinician. However, the program I am considering applying to (I am not willing to relocate and there is only one program in my area) is through that university's school of medicine and typical acceptance GPA is 3.6-3.7 and 50-60% or higher verbal and math GRE scores. Though they also weigh heavily on life/work experience, I do not know whether I will even be competitive or not even though minimum science/cumulative GPAs must be above 2.8

Here are my stats:

2013 GRE Stats: 150 math, 150 verbal, 4 essay

Cumulative GPA (not counting in progress courses): 3.4

Science GPA (not counting in progress courses): 3.2

Work experience: 6 + years as a critical care RN working closely with MDs, NPs, PAs, etc.

I know that it is tough to say whether I would be competitive or not but the program I am applying to will not offer individual advising and any questions such as these I field to them are replied to with "please refer to the website". I am eager to begin schooling (either as NP or PA) as soon as possible and deciding against pursuing the PA route would save me thousands of dollars, though I will continue to take required courses and spend the funds if I have somewhat of a chance.  My cumulative/science GPAs reflect my undergraduate course work dating back to 2001 (and over 200 credit hours) so repeating coursework to pull up the GPAs would be a very daunting and expensive task. 

Any advice?

Thank you

Hello,

I have a serious question, can I be a PA with a felony on my record? I was pulled over and had my weapon in my car that was registered to me but my carry permit had expired. I was charged and convicted of illegal possession of a firearm a felony in my state and was giving three years probation this is the only blemish  that I have on my record as I have never been in trouble with the law prior to this. I am going through my pre-requisits in college for a bio degree. My question is am I wasting my time? I don't want to continue through the expense and time in school if at the end I wont get licensed or accepted into a PA program. Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks in advance.

In another thread I was roundly criticized for opining that someone who had twice been caught shoplifting did not belong in the PA profession even though they got the charges reduced both times. Though I think it was dumb of you to have neglected the renewal of your permit, with no criminal intent and no victim I hope the admissions director can give you some hope. Did you get an attorney to see if the charge could be reduced? A felony conviction seems a bit excessive for an oversight. What state do you live in? Good luck.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

@Ray_Ray Thank you for your question. In instances like these I would recommend two things. 1- Contact the medical board in the state you plan to practice in and see what feedback they can give you about obtaining a license with that on your record. I'm sure the answer will be similar to "we will consider everything on a case by case basis..." so they may not be much help. 2- Contact the programs that interest you to see what their policies are for applicants with felonies. Some programs have a zero tolerance and some may look at it on a case by case basis. It may not hurt to have a recent background check done to supply to the programs for their review so you can prove your charges, indicating the felony is not something different from what you say it is and there aren't any additional charges.

The issue beyond the concern of you obtaining a license to practice is that it is very difficult to place students into clinical rotation sites (ie Federal facilities and large medical centers) with a questionable background. Obviously, clinical rotations are essential to and required in preparing you for clinical practice.  Without the ability to secure rotations for you, it would be difficult to complete a program. I hope this helps.

Hello,

I have a serious question, can I be a PA with a felony on my record? I was pulled over and had my weapon in my car that was registered to me but my carry permit had expired. I was charged and convicted of illegal possession of a firearm a felony in my state and was giving three years probation this is the only blemish  that I have on my record as I have never been in trouble with the law prior to this. I am going through my pre-requisits in college for a bio degree. My question is am I wasting my time? I don't want to continue through the expense and time in school if at the end I wont get licensed or accepted into a PA program. Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks in advance.

Hello paadmissions, 

First, thank you for offering your knowledge and insight.  It is truly appreciated! 

I am a recent college graduate with a degree in Biology. I have an overall GPA of 3.98 and a 4.0 science GPA. My healthcare experience is limited, but I hope to accumulate as many hours as possible before the next admissions cycle. Here is a summary of my experience:

Direct care professional for people with developmental disabilities: 600 hours (this work was done in a residential long-term care facility) 

PA Shadowing: 12 hours 

I was also a collegiate student-athlete for 4 years, and I was the captain of my team for the last 2 years. 

My main questions are: would the current work I am doing as a Direct Care Professional be quality HCE for admission to PA school, or should I look for experience elsewhere? 

@actrack21 Thank you for your questions..I was also a college athlete and my # was 21..I'm assuming your was too? :)

To answer your question about the healthcare experience, I would encourage you contact the programs that you're interested in to see if they would accept your hours. Be very specific in describing your responsibilities so they can get an overall picture of what you do and if it is up to the level they are looking for. I also encourage you to maybe seek another position where you can work alongside members of the medical team, like in a clinic or hospital. You may want to ask the PA you're currently shadowing if he/she could advise you or assist you with securing a medical assisting position (for example). In some states, you can be trained on the job as a medical assistant without a certification. Working within this type of setting will expose you to the world of PAs, MDs, etc. and, in my opinion, enhance your clinical experience. I do, however, think your current work will be something you look back on and see it's value. Hope this helps!

Hello paadmissions, 

First, thank you for offering your knowledge and insight.  It is truly appreciated! 

I am a recent college graduate with a degree in Biology. I have an overall GPA of 3.98 and a 4.0 science GPA. My healthcare experience is limited, but I hope to accumulate as many hours as possible before the next admissions cycle. Here is a summary of my experience:

Direct care professional for people with developmental disabilities: 600 hours (this work was done in a residential long-term care facility) 

PA Shadowing: 12 hours 

I was also a collegiate student-athlete for 4 years, and I was the captain of my team for the last 2 years. 

My main questions are: would the current work I am doing as a Direct Care Professional be quality HCE for admission to PA school, or should I look for experience elsewhere? 

Hello. I am so glad that you are here to give advice on applying to pa school. It is truly helpful. I just wanted to see what else I can do to really stand out. Starting to doubt myself

Graduated from The Pennsylvania State University with 3.0 GPA
Currently getting a Masters in anatomy with a 3.3 GPA
Volunteered abroad in a medical brigade in Panama ( 100 hours)
Emergency department volunteer ( close to 100 hours)
IS internship at hospital teaching medical professionals software (close to 150 hours)
Shadowed a PA for 25 hours
Resident Care Associate(CNA)(200 hr and still going)
I am still obtaining my masters and while doing that I have been teaching nursing students, stroke research and also teaching medical student come Fall 2014. Also I am wondering if being a male helps with getting into pa school since its not that much of us applying. And to be honest is race has anything to do with it, I haven't seen too many African american males in the profession that much so is that also an advantage or the program really doesn't focus on that? 

Ok sorry for the long post, thanks for your feedback in advance!

This is great advice - thank you! 

To be honest, I have no idea why I put 21 in my username haha. I was track and field/cross-country athlete in college, so I didn't really have a number! 

@actrack21 Thank you for your questions..I was also a college athlete and my # was 21..I'm assuming your was too? :)

To answer your question about the healthcare experience, I would encourage you contact the programs that you're interested in to see if they would accept your hours. Be very specific in describing your responsibilities so they can get an overall picture of what you do and if it is up to the level they are looking for. I also encourage you to maybe seek another position where you can work alongside members of the medical team, like in a clinic or hospital. You may want to ask the PA you're currently shadowing if he/she could advise you or assist you with securing a medical assisting position (for example). In some states, you can be trained on the job as a medical assistant without a certification. Working within this type of setting will expose you to the world of PAs, MDs, etc. and, in my opinion, enhance your clinical experience. I do, however, think your current work will be something you look back on and see it's value. Hope this helps!

@jhop Thank you for your questions. The fact that you are in the process of completing a masters degree in anatomy will be a plus to your application and hopefully will boost your overall GPA. That said, make sure you have done well in the other prerequisite courses that are required for the programs that interest you.  The CNA experience will be probably the most valuable clinical experience that would count towards most programs that require or weigh clinical experience. Your other hours may enhance your application or even count towards hours. The fact that you are a male and a minority may be a factor that some programs weigh as a part of their selection factors. There is a need for minority providers so it could be a plus depending on where you apply. The important thing to keep in mind is that you're meeting selection factors all around so regardless, you'll be a competitive candidate for the programs that interest you! Hope this helps and best wishes!

Hello. I am so glad that you are here to give advice on applying to pa school. It is truly helpful. I just wanted to see what else I can do to really stand out. Starting to doubt myself

Graduated from The Pennsylvania State University with 3.0 GPA
Currently getting a Masters in anatomy with a 3.3 GPA
Volunteered abroad in a medical brigade in Panama ( 100 hours)
Emergency department volunteer ( close to 100 hours)
IS internship at hospital teaching medical professionals software (close to 150 hours)
Shadowed a PA for 25 hours
Resident Care Associate(CNA)(200 hr and still going)
I am still obtaining my masters and while doing that I have been teaching nursing students, stroke research and also teaching medical student come Fall 2014. Also I am wondering if being a male helps with getting into pa school since its not that much of us applying. And to be honest is race has anything to do with it, I haven't seen too many African american males in the profession that much so is that also an advantage or the program really doesn't focus on that? 

Ok sorry for the long post, thanks for your feedback in advance!

I have been a volunteer Student Teaching Assistant for the Anatomy program at my University (Utah Valley University) for 5 semesters. This involves being present for scheduled labs for Anatomy students to assist the lab instructors as well as be in an open lab to assist studying students once a week so I have accumulated quite a few hours in my time with the program. My question is can I use this experience as volunteer experience on my applications? I know that some schools I have looked into like to see volunteer hours but i have heard that this kind of experience wasn't really seen as "good volunteer experience". I guess I would just like to know your thoughts as an admissions director. 

Thank you for this thread. I've found it extremely helpful.

• Upvote 1

Hi PA Admissions,

I had the privilege of interviewing at one of my top choice 2 days ago. Since then I cannot stop thinking about if I jeopardized my chance of being offered acceptance. I'm embarrassed that i failed to answer a common question: why pa and not np? I was a nervous wreck when answering the question. I said that since I learned about the pa profession after I had received my Bachelors, the np route would require me to get a bsn through an accelerated program the go through graduate school. The pa route is time efficient for me to start my career earlier and start working with patients earlier.

I realize my answer isn't complete nor does it accurately demonstrates that I know the difference between an np and pa (which I do). I didn't lie, but I should've followed through. What I'm trying to ask is, from an admissions committee members point of view, did that answer automatically put me in the reject pile? I feel that the rest of my interview went pretty well.

Hi there,

I've already completed the A&P I/II courses required by most programs, and did receive "A" grades in both. Unfortunately, the courses were poorly organized and there are gaps in my knowledge. I thought maybe it'd work to retake the courses elsewhere. How might repeating the courses at another school affect my applications?

I've also considered some self-study options, but know I would benefit most from the classroom setting.

While were at it-- there are a few withdrawal marks scattered across my prereq transcripts due to work schedule changes. In all cases, I was able to reregister and receive "A" grades. Will I have the opportunity to explain this in interviews or will I be fighting uphill just to get interviews?

Thanks very much.

@matthew74 Thank you for your question and sorry for the delay. NC got a lot (southern definition of 'a lot') of snow the other day and had a nice snow day! I would probably list this experience on your CASPA application under "work experience" since it's technically not the same as volunteering in a hospital or something of that nature. If you were to list it in the volunteer category, programs can decide whether they want to count it or not. Our program, for example, does not get "bent out of shape" if you happen to mislabel your experience on your application...say an applicant puts what they believe to be patient contact in the "patient contact" section on the application. We may not view it as being up the level that we're looking so we don't count it. However, that doesn't mean we no longer consider the application because of that because there may be another program that views it differently.  If you are filling out a supplemental application you may want to be a little more aware of what the programs are looking for if they have told you it doesn't count as volunteering. Hope this helps!

I have been a volunteer Student Teaching Assistant for the Anatomy program at my University (Utah Valley University) for 5 semesters. This involves being present for scheduled labs for Anatomy students to assist the lab instructors as well as be in an open lab to assist studying students once a week so I have accumulated quite a few hours in my time with the program. My question is can I use this experience as volunteer experience on my applications? I know that some schools I have looked into like to see volunteer hours but i have heard that this kind of experience wasn't really seen as "good volunteer experience". I guess I would just like to know your thoughts as an admissions director. 

Thank you for this thread. I've found it extremely helpful.

@buhnana Thank you for your questions and congrats on your interviews! Without being involved in the actual interview it's difficult to know whether or not your response hurt your chances. From our standpoint, no interview is perfect and rarely does every applicant answer every single question with ease. We have accepted applicants who have "stumbled" with questions before so if you feel like everything else went smoothly (hopefully the committee felt the same ) then maybe you didn't hurt your chances as much as you think. The waiting will the most anxious of times- it always is for applicants. However, if it does not work out, take it as a learning experience and going forward, you know how to answer those types of questions should they arise again. Hope this helps and fingers crossed!

Hi PA Admissions,
I had the privilege of interviewing at one of my top choice 2 days ago. Since then I cannot stop thinking about if I jeopardized my chance of being offered acceptance. I'm embarrassed that i failed to answer a common question: why pa and not np? I was a nervous wreck when answering the question. I said that since I learned about the pa profession after I had received my Bachelors, the np route would require me to get a bsn through an accelerated program the go through graduate school. The pa route is time efficient for me to start my career earlier and start working with patients earlier.

I realize my answer isn't complete nor does it accurately demonstrates that I know the difference between an np and pa (which I do). I didn't lie, but I should've followed through. What I'm trying to ask is, from an admissions committee members point of view, did that answer automatically put me in the reject pile? I feel that the rest of my interview went pretty well.

pa-pow Thank you for your question. To recognize that you have gaps in knowledge with the A&P courses is commendable on your end.  I can't say it would hurt your application very much should you retake the course again and would obviously recommend a classroom setting at a 4-year institution if possible.  If you're ever questioned about why you're retaking, be sure to choose your words carefully.  There are times when applicants feel as if they "weren't taught what they thought they should have been taught." In some cases, it's probably true, but statements like that are not perceived very well if you don't form the appropriate answer.  Usually it can be taken as the professor wasn't doing their job, but as a student, those thoughts may not be as accurate as  you think.  This may be completely opposite of your situation, but it's best to think carefully about your answer should you get the question.

In regards to your question about the WDs on your transcripts, you may want to address it briefly in your personal statement. It's not something that needs to be talked about forever, but to mention it doesn't hurt. Hope this helps! 

Hi there,

I've already completed the A&P I/II courses required by most programs, and did receive "A" grades in both. Unfortunately, the courses were poorly organized and there are gaps in my knowledge. I thought maybe it'd work to retake the courses elsewhere. How might repeating the courses at another school affect my applications?

I've also considered some self-study options, but know I would benefit most from the classroom setting.

While were at it-- there are a few withdrawal marks scattered across my prereq transcripts due to work schedule changes. In all cases, I was able to reregister and receive "A" grades. Will I have the opportunity to explain this in interviews or will I be fighting uphill just to get interviews?

Thanks very much.

• Upvote 1

@jesseadamg Thanks for your question! I do have to commend your post bacc work because you've taken quality classes, performed well and taken them at a reputable institution. I would encourage you to review the requirements for the programs your interested in to make sure you don't need to take or retake any additional prerequisite requirements. For example, double check that Organic Chemistry I and maybe II, Medical Terminology, psychology, etc. aren't outstanding and if you have taken them in the past, should you retake them? I am a fan of biomedical post bacc programs, but I caution applicants about enrolling in them if the majority of the courses are not relevant to counting for prerequisites. For example, an applicant may go through that program, perform well, and demonstrate his or her capability of doing well in upperlevel courses, but still have a low prerequisite GPA. I don't come across too many programs that allow substitutions for coursework, at least we don't, so you can show mastery of coursework in one area, but not show the academic potential in the required courses, which are required for a reason.  From the grad panels I've served on, I usually get the same feedback from other programs about that topic, so I'm fairly confident in that advice. Your HCE checks out to be solid and if the GRE is required make sure to be within a competitive range so it balances out your application. I hope this helps and best wishes!

Thank you for the information! I took your advice and am taking additional core PA courses this term (physiology, microbiology and developmental psychology). Many PA programs require a minimum 3.0 GPA to qualify for admissions. I would need to take an unrealistic number of classes to reach this level. Do admissions committees have any leeway with this requirement for people who have demonstrated years of high level academic and healthcare achievement? I will have taken 41 credit hours after this spring semester, with an expected total GPA of 3.9 (post bac), 2.78 (post bac + undergrad), and roughly a 3.7-3.8 prerequisite GPA. If so, any advice on how to contact admissions offices to discuss this topic? 

-Jesse