Ask a PA Admissions Director

I'm in a bit of a hassle with my current situation and it seems like this is the place to get the most direct and realistic answer possible. I currently have a cumulative 2.57 GPA with a degree in Psychology (at a different university) and Biology. However, when I received and registered towards my Biology degree this past May, my performance is as follows:

Summer 2013: Cell Biology (C+); Fall 2013: Pharmacology ©, Vetebrate Physiology (B), Microbiology (B), & Virology (A-); Fall 2014: Neurobiology ©, Evolution (B), Developmental Biology (B), & Medical Terminology (A). My GRE scores are 155 (530 on old scale) V and 156 (720 on old scale) Q and a 4.0 on Writing which totals to a 311 (1250 on old scale). I am currently during research at my University and will be retaking my basic biology, organic chemistry, and Physics.

My past is plagued with immaturity and in the Spring of 2011 was when a few things hit my family pretty hard with the conflicts in the middle east (I'm both Syrian & Egyptian). I know I can handle upper-level biology courses, but to prove it to an admissions comittee is a whole different deal. My professors have told me that I am in a good position to push towards graduate school in the biomedical sciences. Should I go and do that first while I continue my volunteer hospital work here in my area? Can I just focus on my volunteer hours since I've shown that I can handle rigorous upper level  biology courses? There are programs around my area that require a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7, but a 2.57 is quite below that. Any help and advice is appreciated!

@jtracy Thank you for your question.  That all depends on the program you're applying to. That said, from my experience a lot of programs, including ours, operate on a rolling admissions. That means it's first come, first serve. Deadlines are misleading so I would encourage you to apply much earlier tin cycle rather than waiting. Hope this helps! 

What is the latest one can apply and reasonably get into a program?

@ndpa09 Thank you for your question. I would definitely recommend that you answer the questions although it may be optional. Supplemental applications can help programs be more specific in selecting students who fit their mission and goals. CASPA, for some programs, may be too generalized and not specific enough for some. Hope this helps.

One quick question- im seeing a lot of supplemental applications that give you the option to write an additional letter regarding how you can contribute to the diversity of the program or other similar questions. These are not short essay questions Do you think it hurts your application if you do not write anything?

@mynamewasused Thank you for your question. I would recommend taking this cycle off and work on your hours. You already have an EMT certification so use that to your advantage and work in that field. As you've seen most program require or strongly recommend (which in my opinion means you need to have some hours) hours so it's to your advantage to accumulate at least 1000 hours if you're able to (most programs require 1000). All other stats look strong and remember the GRE may be factored into a lot of programs' considerations. Hope this helps!

Hello, I would like your opinion on my chances of getting into a PA school.

Here are my stats:

-biochemistry major
-cGPA: 3.772
-sGPA: 3.738
-been volunteering at a hospital for 8 months now and will continue until graduation

-just got accepted to volunteer at a clinic that MIGHT give me some HCE
-been doing lab research for 6 months now and will continue until graduation
-certified and licensed EMT but have no work experience.
-Just got accepted into the Dissection Team (dissect the cadavers used to teach Anatomy, basically TA position)
-Former Senator for my University's student government (1 year term)
-Vice President of Communications for my fraternity (1 year term)
-Worked as a math tutor for 3 years at my University's Math center
-Student Ambassador for my University for 3 years
-Resident Hall Representative for my hall during freshmen year (kinda insignificant to me)

I know that HCE is very importantly and to be honest, I have 0 HCE. I volunteer but I don't take vitals or anything like that. I will be graduating next year with a BS in Biochemistry. My question is do I even stand a chance to apply for PA school even with my lack of HCE. I've done research on the top 150 schools and I've noticed that not all of them state that HCE is REQUIRED, but strongly recommended of course. Yet, even with that said, the stats of their 2013 incoming classes still have like 4000 HCE. I really want to attend PA school right after my undergrad. Thanks.

Also do you think PA school is harder to get into than medical school? Medical school doesn't require 2000 hours of HCE... :/

@meezo1402 Thank you for your questions. I would contact an admissions representative at the programs you're interest in to see if they can offer feedback on whether or not you would be considered a competitive applicant. If you were to apply to our program I would want to see how you performed in your organics and physics classes before encouraging or discouraging you to apply. These courses are very difficult courses and tend to be a good predictor of how students perform once in PA school. I hope this helps.

I'm in a bit of a hassle with my current situation and it seems like this is the place to get the most direct and realistic answer possible. I currently have a cumulative 2.57 GPA with a degree in Psychology (at a different university) and Biology. However, when I received and registered towards my Biology degree this past May, my performance is as follows:

Summer 2013: Cell Biology (C+); Fall 2013: Pharmacology ©, Vetebrate Physiology (B), Microbiology (B), & Virology (A-); Fall 2014: Neurobiology ©, Evolution (B), Developmental Biology (B), & Medical Terminology (A). My GRE scores are 155 (530 on old scale) V and 156 (720 on old scale) Q and a 4.0 on Writing which totals to a 311 (1250 on old scale). I am currently during research at my University and will be retaking my basic biology, organic chemistry, and Physics.

My past is plagued with immaturity and in the Spring of 2011 was when a few things hit my family pretty hard with the conflicts in the middle east (I'm both Syrian & Egyptian). I know I can handle upper-level biology courses, but to prove it to an admissions comittee is a whole different deal. My professors have told me that I am in a good position to push towards graduate school in the biomedical sciences. Should I go and do that first while I continue my volunteer hospital work here in my area? Can I just focus on my volunteer hours since I've shown that I can handle rigorous upper level  biology courses? There are programs around my area that require a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7, but a 2.57 is quite below that. Any help and advice is appreciated!

I wanted to know if schools put any focus on other HCE that is not direct patient contact, such as research. Right now I am a research and clinical assistant at a renowned hospital. I currently have 4 publications (will be more at time of application) and several accepted abstracts for conferences. My job currently is split between research and clinical tasks. I will be applying next year but my stats at that time will be:

cGPA: 3.5

sGPA: 3.4

HCE: ~1,500 - 2,000 hours: CNA certified, shadowing, taking vitals, consenting patients for research studies and procedures, assisting with exams

I also had a significant upward trend in my GPA. At the end of my sophomore year I had about a 3.1 (never hit lower than a 3.0), and my GPA for my junior and senior years was about a 3.8 taking many more credits and upper level science courses.

Thanks!

PAadmissions,

Sorry if this has been asked several times, but this is my 2nd time applying to programs. I'm currently 20 years old (graduated at 19) with a B.S in neuroscience. Last year I was unsuccessful, so I rewrote my entire PS. I have roughly 5200 hrs of HCE, 300 hrs community service, and 80+ hrs shadowing MDs/PAs. The only downfall that I see is my GRE which is 290. I plan to retake it, but hypothetically, if I don't do well on it, how much of an emphasis is put on the GRE? I understand it's seen as a gauge towards standardized test taking abilities when it comes time towards the PANCE. I researched and applied to 20 schools, majority of them not requiring the GRE (hedge against unfavorable GRE test results), but a great majority that do as well to.Also, is there any extra look at re-applicants considering they haven't given up and improved gaining HCE and more experience? 

Thank you!

@emily3491 Thank you for your questions. I think it's fair to say that a lot, probably all programs, to do look at all aspects of your application besides just academic selection factors and direct patient care. I don't think there is a strong emphasis on research in a lot of programs, but if it's something you've been involved with as much as you have make sure you include it in your application. Programs will see it. Judging from your stats and without knowing your prerequisite GPA and GRE scores, it looks like you'll be fairly competitive with incoming students. Hope this helps!

I wanted to know if schools put any focus on other HCE that is not direct patient contact, such as research. Right now I am a research and clinical assistant at a renowned hospital. I currently have 4 publications (will be more at time of application) and several accepted abstracts for conferences. My job currently is split between research and clinical tasks. I will be applying next year but my stats at that time will be:

cGPA: 3.5

sGPA: 3.4

HCE: ~1,500 - 2,000 hours: CNA certified, shadowing, taking vitals, consenting patients for research studies and procedures, assisting with exams

I also had a significant upward trend in my GPA. At the end of my sophomore year I had about a 3.1 (never hit lower than a 3.0), and my GPA for my junior and senior years was about a 3.8 taking many more credits and upper level science courses.

Thanks!

@torshi Thank you for your questions. Every program weighs the GRE differently so I don't want to speculate that it doesn't matter with your scores. That said, reach out to the programs you're applying to to see how much they weigh the GRE and based on their other selection factors would you still be a competitive applicant. In my opinion, it's not a bad thing to reapply (many students have to) and if you've shown improvements from one year to another that's definitely a plus. Hope this helps!

PAadmissions,

Sorry if this has been asked several times, but this is my 2nd time applying to programs. I'm currently 20 years old (graduated at 19) with a B.S in neuroscience. Last year I was unsuccessful, so I rewrote my entire PS. I have roughly 5200 hrs of HCE, 300 hrs community service, and 80+ hrs shadowing MDs/PAs. The only downfall that I see is my GRE which is 290. I plan to retake it, but hypothetically, if I don't do well on it, how much of an emphasis is put on the GRE? I understand it's seen as a gauge towards standardized test taking abilities when it comes time towards the PANCE. I researched and applied to 20 schools, majority of them not requiring the GRE (hedge against unfavorable GRE test results), but a great majority that do as well to.Also, is there any extra look at re-applicants considering they haven't given up and improved gaining HCE and more experience? 

Thank you!

Thank you!

My GRE was V-152, Q-156, W-4.0. Do you think I should retake it? I only took it one time.

Also I was wondering how schools calculate prereq GPA. For example if they only require two semesters of chemistry, but I took 4 semesters plus biochemistry would they include all of that or only 2 courses? My worst grade out of those was a C+ in general chemistry 1, which was my only C in all of college. I got all A's and one B+ in the rest of my chemistry courses, so would doing poorly in gen chem 1 hurt me, or would they take into account all of my chemistry courses?

I am curious if i should retake my GRE due to my unusually lopsided scores.

I took the old test version and scored V = 570(158) 78 percentile and Q = 500 (144) 18 percentile and W = 4.0

My total score converts to 302, which I dont think is bad.  However, the scores are so one sided I feel that it appears more negative than if I were to have scored 40-50 percentile in each.

Has anyone had experience with this type of situation?

Thanks

• Upvote 1

@emily3491 I would not recommend that you retake the GRE. Your scores are probably hitting the mark, if not exceeding it, for most programs that require the GRE. Every program will look at prerequisites differently. It will depend on the courses they require and I would hope they specify which chemistries (for example) they want to see. I would assume they would also look further to see that you performed better in your upperlevel chemistry courses rather than putting heavy emphasis on a lower level course. It doesn't hurt to ask if they can review your transcripts in advance of applying. Thanks!

Thank you!

My GRE was V-152, Q-156, W-4.0. Do you think I should retake it? I only took it one time.

Also I was wondering how schools calculate prereq GPA. For example if they only require two semesters of chemistry, but I took 4 semesters plus biochemistry would they include all of that or only 2 courses? My worst grade out of those was a C+ in general chemistry 1, which was my only C in all of college. I got all A's and one B+ in the rest of my chemistry courses, so would doing poorly in gen chem 1 hurt me, or would they take into account all of my chemistry courses?

@shawn9811 Thank you for your question. Our program  focuses more on the combined score rather than percentiles, but it doesn't hurt to ask the programs that interest you if you should retake it or look at their website to see if there is a percentile recommendation for each section. Hope this helps.

I am curious if i should retake my GRE due to my unusually lopsided scores.

I took the old test version and scored V = 570(158) 78 percentile and Q = 500 (144) 18 percentile and W = 4.0

My total score converts to 302, which I dont think is bad.  However, the scores are so one sided I feel that it appears more negative than if I were to have scored 40-50 percentile in each.

Has anyone had experience with this type of situation?

Thanks

@paadmissions  Thank you so much for being available to answer such a large variety of questions from applicants! Methodist is one of the programs I am applying to, and it means a great deal to be able to ask you a questions so directly. 

My application, like many other individuals, is a mixture of poor and strong grades, with a strong upward trend; multiple GRE scores (also with an upward trend); and multiple years of work experience as a medical assistant.

Currently, but not during my entire work experience, I am working for my father, who is a primary care and sports medicine physician. My specific question is directed towards these HCE hours. I was wondering if admission committees may view it negatively that I am working for my father? I know that my training and work experience is valid. I have gained valuable lessons while working for him, which I would do no matter which doctor I was working for. Additionally, he has not, and will not, write me any reference letters. I wanted to confirm that this work situation would be viewed as legitimate.

Thank you in advance for your time in answering my question!

This is my first post here, so I hope it is going in the right place, seems like a good place.

I just have a question about criminal history, I have searched around but not found anything particular to my situation (every one else I have read about has theft/dui etc,... much worse offenses than I do).

When I was an undergrad, I was arrested in 2006 for possession of fake ID and disorderly conduct (basically public intox), and in 2007 for public intox.  I was aged 20 and 21 respectively.  In both instances, I just had to pay a fine, no jail sentence/probaiton or anything.  So, the obvious question is,  will this prevent me from getting accpeted into a program or later, getting a license?

I really appreciate any info someone could give me on this!  Thank you.

@pdjags Thank you for your questions and especially for your interest in our program! I don't think your HCE would be viewed negatively by our committee if you demonstrate that you're working alongside the other providers in the practice. We've admitted students who were in the same situation, but have shown that they were not just assisting the parent who was the physician or PA.  Whoever you get to write the letter of recommendation should be careful to talk about your professionalism, skill sets, and ability to be successful in PA school and not focus so much on the fact that you are related to another physician at the practice. .Some people tend to go on and on about that one point and/or write mostly about the fact they've known you since you were 5, etc. I know it's hard to control what others will write, but if you have the opportunity to share a resume with the individual prior to him or her writing the letter I would share those helpful hints. Hope this helps!

@paadmissions  Thank you so much for being available to answer such a large variety of questions from applicants! Methodist is one of the programs I am applying to, and it means a great deal to be able to ask you a questions so directly. 

My application, like many other individuals, is a mixture of poor and strong grades, with a strong upward trend; multiple GRE scores (also with an upward trend); and multiple years of work experience as a medical assistant.

Currently, but not during my entire work experience, I am working for my father, who is a primary care and sports medicine physician. My specific question is directed towards these HCE hours. I was wondering if admission committees may view it negatively that I am working for my father? I know that my training and work experience is valid. I have gained valuable lessons while working for him, which I would do no matter which doctor I was working for. Additionally, he has not, and will not, write me any reference letters. I wanted to confirm that this work situation would be viewed as legitimate.

Thank you in advance for your time in answering my question!

@dbo3570 Thank you for your question. I would contact the medical board(s) in the state(s) you're planning to practice in to make sure there would be no issue with you eventually getting a license to practice. Secondly, you may want to contact the programs that you're planning on applying to to make sure you're not wasting your time. The most important point here is that you're upfront and honest on your application so that when a background check is run, there's nothing new that pops up. I'm leaning more towards the fact that I don't think it will hurt your chances, but again, that's a program decision and I certainly don't want to speak for everyone. Hope this helps!

This is my first post here, so I hope it is going in the right place, seems like a good place.

I just have a question about criminal history, I have searched around but not found anything particular to my situation (every one else I have read about has theft/dui etc,... much worse offenses than I do).

When I was an undergrad, I was arrested in 2006 for possession of fake ID and disorderly conduct (basically public intox), and in 2007 for public intox.  I was aged 20 and 21 respectively.  In both instances, I just had to pay a fine, no jail sentence/probaiton or anything.  So, the obvious question is,  will this prevent me from getting accpeted into a program or later, getting a license?

I really appreciate any info someone could give me on this!  Thank you.

@paadmissions Thank you for such a thorough answer!! I have made sure that those writing my recommendation letters (biology professor, nurse coworker, and NP) are aware of particular topics to discuss.

If I may, I have one more question. As I previously mentioned, I have some poor grades throughout my transcript. Specifically in physics, biochem, organic chem II, and a few others. I have been taking courses to increase my GPA, and I am planning on taking additional classes. But I am trying to decide which ones to take. Do you think it is better for me to retake courses I did poorly in, or take new upper level courses (pathophysiology, immunology, hematology, etc)? I am sure plenty of people have asked you this particular question, so I apologize for the repeat. However, my biggest concern is that I will retake biochem and/or physics, and not do well in them again the second time around - not because of lack of effort, but those two courses specifically aren't my forte. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate! 

Thank you again for your time! I look forward to hearing from you!

@pdjags I would recommend retakes in the ones you performed poorly in because they tend to be common prerequisites for PA programs. Keep in mind the prerequisites are chosen by each program because they feel it is the best way to prepare and evaluate the applicant for PA school. If you go back and retake those, taking the other courses you've mentioned never hurts. Hope this helps!

@paadmissions Thank you for such a thorough answer!! I have made sure that those writing my recommendation letters (biology professor, nurse coworker, and NP) are aware of particular topics to discuss.

If I may, I have one more question. As I previously mentioned, I have some poor grades throughout my transcript. Specifically in physics, biochem, organic chem II, and a few others. I have been taking courses to increase my GPA, and I am planning on taking additional classes. But I am trying to decide which ones to take. Do you think it is better for me to retake courses I did poorly in, or take new upper level courses (pathophysiology, immunology, hematology, etc)? I am sure plenty of people have asked you this particular question, so I apologize for the repeat. However, my biggest concern is that I will retake biochem and/or physics, and not do well in them again the second time around - not because of lack of effort, but those two courses specifically aren't my forte. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate! 

Thank you again for your time! I look forward to hearing from you!

I just finished my freshman year of college as a med. tech major with a 2.96 GPA.  It would have been around a 3.1- 3.2 but I took Gen. Chem 1 and 2 and didn't understand a thing, it was such a struggle I ended up with a C+ in both classes!  Next year I have to take Orgo, Biochem, Microbiology, and Physiology 2 which are all EXTREMELY hard classes.  Can I get my GPA up to like a 3.3-3.4 by the time I graduate or am I just not cut out for this?

Chem 1&2 is math based, the other courses you have listed are not.  Maybe chem based algebra isn't your strong suit.  Med tech coursework is largely clinical memorization, so I wouldn't draw a conclusion from chem.  That said, and I am sadly sure you have heard it before, if you are gonna pay for a BS and potentially spend time in the field, a BSN will greatly improve your QOL vs an MLS.

I just finished my freshman year of college as a med. tech major with a 2.96 GPA. It would have been around a 3.1- 3.2 but I took Gen. Chem 1 and 2 and didn't understand a thing, it was such a struggle I ended up with a C+ in both classes! Next year I have to take Orgo, Biochem, Microbiology, and Physiology 2 which are all EXTREMELY hard classes. Can I get my GPA up to like a 3.3-3.4 by the time I graduate or am I just not cut out for this?

don't be misguided!!! an MLS degree is very math based!! depending on your program it can be an excellent way to have a broad range of knowledge. A BSN will get you more direct patient contact and has other perks but it won't get you a wider variety. Nursing is a great career (and pays more) and is largerly based on treatment but MLS gets you a really great diagnostic background. Just my thoughts and what I've seen/ heard.

Most importantly, do what you love!! They will see this shine through.

Most PA schools require the O Chem courses, so proficiency in these courses is recommended.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk