Ask a PA Admissions Director

@smcccc Thank you for your question. Academic factors look good, but also remember the GRE may be required so that will be weighed along with everything else. I hear your question a lot and actually advise students to incorporate more how their health care experience prepared them for PA school. Your story about your family member I'm sure is touching, but is a very common trend a lot of programs see in personal statements. It's not that it's a bad thing to mention, but there are other factors (HCE and academics) that hopefully have prepared you to enter the program. Be prepared to verbally communicate these things if you're invited in for an interview. Hope this helps!

Hi, I was just wondering my chances.

Cum GPA: 3.45

Science: 3.6

-GPA may fluctuate a little based on final grades during this final semester of my undergrad

-I received As in all prereqs except organic chemistry

HCE:

~1000 hours as a cna in nursing home

~1000 hours as patient care tech in micu/sicu and still working here

Analytical chemistry research assistant for a semester at school

Some volunteer experience

LOR

1. ICU nurse manager

2. Nurse from nursing home

3. Professor

(I tried to get a variety)

My personal narrative was about the death of my grandmother due to malpractice and how it inspired me to become a PA, however I did not write about my health care experiences which makes me nervous that they will overlook my app now, and i cannot edit because i already e-submitted, and sent my app to a few schools.  People who have read it said it was really heartfelt though, I am not sure if that helps with anything.

@jtbracken0 You might surprise yourself. I tend not to sugarcoat responses, so when I say I do think that the score would be competitive as a lot of programs, if you're other selection factors are strong, have confidence.  It's worth taking a shot if you're strong in other categories. 

Thank you for your response. 

Well thats good to know.  My total score is 299.  My preferred school says "there is no minimum GRE score but you must take it".  My verbal percentile is 53rd and my quantitative percentile is 29th (ughhh!)

• Upvote 1

@paadmissions,

Hey, I just to begin by thanking you for taking your time and giving this community an input on how to stand out as a candidate and how competitive we are. 

I was wondering if you can give me an input, or anything I can improve on being a more competitive candidate for PA. I'm applying to about 6-7 schools. This is my 2nd time as an applicant; I applied 2 years ago and was wait-listed but never accepted.

Major: Medical Technology
Overall GPA: About a 3.1
CASPA Science GPA : 2.99

Prereq GPA: 3.4
HCE : 2550 hrs + more ( currently employed as a medical technologist @ Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, a world renowned  cancer hospital)

Volunteer : 170hrs as an ER Volunteer

PA Shadowing : 100+ more ( current)

Licensure:  Clinical Laboratory Technologist in NYS

Certification: American Society for Clinical Pathology(ASCP)

Extracurricular: Human anatomy TA
                         Member of a sports team at my hospital Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, promoting cancer awareness at the competitions.

Letter of Recs:  D.O Doctor (Family Physician)

PA

PhD Chief, Clinical Chemistry of my hospital. (The head of our department)

Personal Statement: Due to my low grades, I did my best to indicate why I had a low GPA. I did poorly in the MT Program in a couple of semesters due to family circumstances, but during my last semester(rotations), I came out with better grades.

Would the admission committee view me as competitive? Or even grant me an interview?

P.S: I'm preparing to submit my application mid-May.

Hello. I wanted to get an honest view on how PA programs view doing a bachelor's nursing program and becoming an RN during the application cycles. I need to boost my GPA and want to know if I should consider doing it in this way or by just retaking science courses.

@warz2k4 Thank you for your question. I would think that you would be an average candidate for a lot of programs, meaning you're meeting the overall GPA requirement of 3.0 or higher and your prerequisite GPA is solid at a 3.4. If you were to apply to our program we would also need to factor in your GRE scores. Those need to be exceeding recommendations for the programs you're applying to. Other factors we would consider that I don't have access to right now are:

- Where you took your prerequisites (cc vs university)

- Upward trend in academic performance

- How many semester hours you attempted per semester in your last few semesters

- And what you've done to improve your stats from the last time you applied. 

Keep in mind applicant pools are getting more and more competitive each cycle. If there are any classes (prereqs) you could retake to boost that prerequisite GPA even higher that could help and/or you could take additional science courses that are relevant to PA school (i.e. cell physiology, biochem [if not required by the programs you're applying to], medical micro, etc).  The best way to see if you're going to waste your time applying would be to contact these programs in advance and ask for honest feedback regarding your competitiveness. Hope this helps and best wishes!

@paadmissions,

Hey, I just to begin by thanking you for taking your time and giving this community an input on how to stand out as a candidate and how competitive we are. 

I was wondering if you can give me an input, or anything I can improve on being a more competitive candidate for PA. I'm applying to about 6-7 schools. This is my 2nd time as an applicant; I applied 2 years ago and was wait-listed but never accepted.

Major: Medical Technology
Overall GPA: About a 3.1
CASPA Science GPA : 2.99

Prereq GPA: 3.4
HCE : 2550 hrs + more ( currently employed as a medical technologist @ Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, a world renowned  cancer hospital)

Volunteer : 170hrs as an ER Volunteer

PA Shadowing : 100+ more ( current)

Licensure:  Clinical Laboratory Technologist in NYS

Certification: American Society for Clinical Pathology(ASCP)

Extracurricular: Human anatomy TA
                         Member of a sports team at my hospital Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, promoting cancer awareness at the competitions.

Letter of Recs:  D.O Doctor (Family Physician)

PA

PhD Chief, Clinical Chemistry of my hospital. (The head of our department)

Personal Statement: Due to my low grades, I did my best to indicate why I had a low GPA. I did poorly in the MT Program in a couple of semesters due to family circumstances, but during my last semester(rotations), I came out with better grades.

Would the admission committee view me as competitive? Or even grant me an interview?

P.S: I'm preparing to submit my application mid-May.

@ashgoo Thank you for your question. I get this question all the time and in my opinion it's not the first option I would advise applicants to consider if you're trying to enhance your application. The first thing I would evaluate is how close are you to even being considered for a program-are there prerequisites classes that you need to retake to boost your prerequisite/science GPA, how have you performed on the GRE and the amount and quality of your clinical experience. Although we do have nurses who have and are enrolled in our program, I usually only advise students to go the nursing route if they want to be a nurse and/or want to go on to a nurse practitioner program. I hope this helps!

Hello. I wanted to get an honest view on how PA programs view doing a bachelor's nursing program and becoming an RN during the application cycles. I need to boost my GPA and want to know if I should consider doing it in this way or by just retaking science courses.

@warz2k4 Thank you for your question. I would think that you would be an average candidate for a lot of programs, meaning you're meeting the overall GPA requirement of 3.0 or higher and your prerequisite GPA is solid at a 3.4. If you were to apply to our program we would also need to factor in your GRE scores. Those need to be exceeding recommendations for the programs you're applying to. Other factors we would consider that I don't have access to right now are:

- Where you took your prerequisites (cc vs university)

- Upward trend in academic performance

- How many semester hours you attempted per semester in your last few semesters

- And what you've done to improve your stats from the last time you applied. 

Keep in mind applicant pools are getting more and more competitive each cycle. If there are any classes (prereqs) you could retake to boost that prerequisite GPA even higher that could help and/or you could take additional science courses that are relevant to PA school (i.e. cell physiology, biochem [if not required by the programs you're applying to], medical micro, etc).  The best way to see if you're going to waste your time applying would be to contact these programs in advance and ask for honest feedback regarding your competitiveness. Hope this helps and best wishes!

@paadmissions, hey thanks for the reply!

I am opt'ing out of the GRE due to time restraints, but if it makes me stand out I may consider taking it.

About 90% of my courses are from a University

My semester hours in the last couple of semesters are between 16-18

Should I be noting on my personal statement that I'm a 2nd time applicant?

@warz2k4 You can mentioned it briefly in the statement. Perhaps making reference to how you've improved your application from last cycle with either academics and/or healthcare experience. I wouldn't go on and on about it because you  will indicate at the beginning of your application that you're a re-applicant. Hope this helps.

@paadmissions, hey thanks for the reply!

I am opt'ing out of the GRE due to time restraints, but if it makes me stand out I may consider taking it.

About 90% of my courses are from a University

My semester hours in the last couple of semesters are between 16-18

Should I be noting on my personal statement that I'm a 2nd time applicant?

@paadmissions, 

I haven't submitted my personal statement yet, but from your last post, I guess I'll add part where I'm a re applicant..

Indicating to the admission committee that I'm a reapplicant, does that make me better if they see that I have more HCE, did better in my last year of college?

When I first applied, I didn't finish my medical technology degree, and i did bad due to my circumstances. I also lacked the HCE/ and medical technology board license, but I was still able to get an interview, but got waitlisted.

Hi PA Admissions

I have a question regarding GRE and GPA.  I have a high GPA (~3.9 cum; haven't broken down the other GPAs yet, but I only have 3 Bs on my entire transcript and nothing lower).  However I didn't do well on the math second of the GRE, my scores are 158V 149Q and 4.0W.  Will the lower GRE scores make it seem like I took my classes at easy schools, to get those grades?  For what its worth, very few of my credits are from community colleges.  I also have ~10,000 hours HCE as an EMT and paramedic.   

I'm starting the applications now, plan to submit in June (I will have micro and ochem in progress at that point, all the other prerecs complete), just getting really nervous about it all.  

Hello. I wanted to get an opinion on re-application for programs. Do schools usually like to see that you at least try and then if you do have to re-apply, that you are improving? Or do you think that a school is less likely to consider you if your previous application was not up to par? I know that some schools will specifically record that a person has applied previously and was not accepted but I am unsure if that is viewed in a positive or negative manner. My goal with my first application cycle is that even if I don't get accepted, I would have the opportunity to contact schools I am highly interested in and after they have reviewed my application, discuss with them what I can improve upon to better my chances. Any information regarding this is very much appreciated!

I've read several pages in this forum. Thank you so much for your time and advice. I realize that you are not a fan of online or community college coursework, but as a career-changer, this is really the only way I could possibly get it done!

When I was a university student 20+ years ago (ugh), I was a horrible student -- 2.66 GPA -- but I did receive a BS in Chemical Engineering from a very highly regarded university. Now that I have decided to switch careers, I have taken 55 credits so far, mostly online and mostly at community colleges, to raise my GPA and to complete the prerequisites. All labs have been in person, but most of the lecture part has been online. I have completed three semesters (17 cr. in the summer; 21 cr. in the fall; and 17 cr. in the spring) all while working full time. This time around, I have a 4.0, but am still just shy of the magical 3.0 GPA. I have completed biology, anatomy, physiology, microbiology, genetics, general psychology, psychology across the lifespan, statistics, among others. I have not taken organic chemistry (well, I took it 20 years ago but I don't recall a thing so I am retaking it) or biochemistry yet, but I plan to take those courses at a community college as well due to convenience and cost.

I have enrolled in an associates program to get my RN, but I haven't started yet. I figured i might as well, since between the prerequisites and the number of credit-hours I'd need to raise my GPA, it'd be only a couple extra classes. Do you think this is a bad idea? I saw that you don't typically recommend nursing school. I will have a 3.0 overall GPA if I get an A in organic chemistry this summer and a 3.0 science GPA if I get an A in organic chemistry plus seven more science credits (biochemistry and another class or two).

I have debated on the benefits of working as a CNA while in nursing school. I am enrolled in a night/weekend program, so I plan to continue working full time during this program. My current job pays twice what I would make as a CNA, but is not healthcare-related. Career-wise, it may be beneficial, but financially, it would be devastating.

I've met with three PAs, shadowing one for a day. I know that this is the path I want to be on. Personally, I'd love to work in a rural, underserved area. My primary interest lies in managing chronic diseases: diabetes, obesity, hypertension, heart disease, etc.

So, although I'm probably two years away from applying, do you have any advice for me to improve my chances? Should I forego the nursing program and just taken the ten or so science credits I need to raise my GPA?

Thank you so much!

@pajem Thank you for your questions. I would not pursue the program that did not get back with you about whether or not you were accepted. It's unfortunate they did not reach out to you with a decision, but think the decision is pretty much implied. If the program that you're on the waiting list allows you to submit updates, I would do so if you have them. When does that program start? I would go ahead and prep for reapplying next cycle just in case. It's very hard for admissions folks to predict whether or not a seat will become available for those who are on the waiting list. I know it's agony waiting, but it all depends on the decisions of others which we can't force. When you inquire with that program if there are deficiencies make sure to ask if there were issues with your interview as well. Your application may be fine, but interview skills may need polishing. Hope this helps!

Paadmissions, THANK YOU for your feedback.  I did send an email directly to the director of the program 5 days after the waitlist letter, proposing additional things that I had started working on such as classes that I had taken this spring.  I mentioned that I plan on sending them updated transcript.  In addition, I mentioned if things did not workout this year, I am prepared to reapply and consider the school on my list.  In turn, I asked for specific information on areas where I can polish to make myself a strong competitive candidate for the program.  I have not heard back yet.  The program starts late August, 2014.

In the meantime, yes, I have opened new CASPA application for 2014-2015.  I have created a list of schools to apply to.  While finishing up my online biochem class that I started this spring, I am studying for GRE to get my scores to over 300.  Last year I had 294.  I have signed up for extra classes later in the summer - statistics and developmental psychology for certain schools that are requiring.

@warz If you have improved in both healthcare experience and in academics they both can be addressed in my opinion. I expect that applicants would want the committees to know how they've improved from the last cycle and if these improvements have helped refine your understanding of a PA, etc. If you're making improvements all the way around, which it sounds like you are, I hope these improvements will be noticed. Hope this helps and best wishes!

@paadmissions, 

I haven't submitted my personal statement yet, but from your last post, I guess I'll add part where I'm a re applicant..

Indicating to the admission committee that I'm a reapplicant, does that make me better if they see that I have more HCE, did better in my last year of college?

When I first applied, I didn't finish my medical technology degree, and i did bad due to my circumstances. I also lacked the HCE/ and medical technology board license, but I was still able to get an interview, but got waitlisted.

@fakingpatience Thank you for your question. Considering all other factors you've mentioned, I think you'll be fairly competitive with the applicant pool. If you were applying to our program I probably would not recommend you retake the GRE, but that will be up to you. Hope this helps!

Hi PA Admissions

I have a question regarding GRE and GPA.  I have a high GPA (~3.9 cum; haven't broken down the other GPAs yet, but I only have 3 Bs on my entire transcript and nothing lower).  However I didn't do well on the math second of the GRE, my scores are 158V 149Q and 4.0W.  Will the lower GRE scores make it seem like I took my classes at easy schools, to get those grades?  For what its worth, very few of my credits are from community colleges.  I also have ~10,000 hours HCE as an EMT and paramedic.   

I'm starting the applications now, plan to submit in June (I will have micro and ochem in progress at that point, all the other prerecs complete), just getting really nervous about it all.  

@ashgoo If applicants reapply to the program and especially if they have been told where they need to improve, we expect to see improvement when the application is resubmitted. If not, you're basically submitting the same application that was not competitive to begin with. However, if someone asks for feedback and we simply just didn't have enough spots to interview them, I would tell them just to apply earlier in the cycle. But it's important to seek that feedback if you have the opportunity. Hope this helps!

Hello. I wanted to get an opinion on re-application for programs. Do schools usually like to see that you at least try and then if you do have to re-apply, that you are improving? Or do you think that a school is less likely to consider you if your previous application was not up to par? I know that some schools will specifically record that a person has applied previously and was not accepted but I am unsure if that is viewed in a positive or negative manner. My goal with my first application cycle is that even if I don't get accepted, I would have the opportunity to contact schools I am highly interested in and after they have reviewed my application, discuss with them what I can improve upon to better my chances. Any information regarding this is very much appreciated!

@tag453 Thank you for your questions. One of the frustrating things for applicants is all programs have different requirements, etc....BUT when it comes to whether or not your online or cc courses will put you at a disadvantage, you'll find the fortunate thing for your situation is that some programs really don't have a preference on where you take your classes. So you may be ok considering the fact that you've taken a significant courseload over the past year and you've done well.  If you feel that the RN program is the best way to prepare you for clinical experience I'm not 100% against it, I just rarely recommend it for people who are trying to enhance their academics without considering retaking prerequisite courses first. That said, you're situation is different from most people who ask me that question.  If there is an income issue where nursing is about the only way to keep the boat afloat, you should pursue that track especially since you're 2 years out from applying. It will give you quality experience should you pursue that route. Hope this helps and best wishes.

I've read several pages in this forum. Thank you so much for your time and advice. I realize that you are not a fan of online or community college coursework, but as a career-changer, this is really the only way I could possibly get it done!

When I was a university student 20+ years ago (ugh), I was a horrible student -- 2.66 GPA -- but I did receive a BS in Chemical Engineering from a very highly regarded university. Now that I have decided to switch careers, I have taken 55 credits so far, mostly online and mostly at community colleges, to raise my GPA and to complete the prerequisites. All labs have been in person, but most of the lecture part has been online. I have completed three semesters (17 cr. in the summer; 21 cr. in the fall; and 17 cr. in the spring) all while working full time. This time around, I have a 4.0, but am still just shy of the magical 3.0 GPA. I have completed biology, anatomy, physiology, microbiology, genetics, general psychology, psychology across the lifespan, statistics, among others. I have not taken organic chemistry (well, I took it 20 years ago but I don't recall a thing so I am retaking it) or biochemistry yet, but I plan to take those courses at a community college as well due to convenience and cost.

I have enrolled in an associates program to get my RN, but I haven't started yet. I figured i might as well, since between the prerequisites and the number of credit-hours I'd need to raise my GPA, it'd be only a couple extra classes. Do you think this is a bad idea? I saw that you don't typically recommend nursing school. I will have a 3.0 overall GPA if I get an A in organic chemistry this summer and a 3.0 science GPA if I get an A in organic chemistry plus seven more science credits (biochemistry and another class or two).

I have debated on the benefits of working as a CNA while in nursing school. I am enrolled in a night/weekend program, so I plan to continue working full time during this program. My current job pays twice what I would make as a CNA, but is not healthcare-related. Career-wise, it may be beneficial, but financially, it would be devastating.

I've met with three PAs, shadowing one for a day. I know that this is the path I want to be on. Personally, I'd love to work in a rural, underserved area. My primary interest lies in managing chronic diseases: diabetes, obesity, hypertension, heart disease, etc.

So, although I'm probably two years away from applying, do you have any advice for me to improve my chances? Should I forego the nursing program and just taken the ten or so science credits I need to raise my GPA?

Thank you so much!

@pajem Is there someone other than the program director who you've been corresponding with throughout the admissions process? I'm assuming big time here, but usually program's have a specific admissions people or faculty member who is in charge of admissions who you can email back and forth. At no fault of their own, program directors usually don't handle admissions questions and updates so your email may have gotten lost in the shuffle. You may want to inquire with the other person if there is another person you spoke with prior to your interview. If the program director is the one you've been dealing with and it's obviously been a while since you've sent the email, you could follow up with them in a very polite emailing asking him/her to confirm receipt of your latest  updates. If you do not hear back I would not send another email unless you're updating your stats or coursework. Hope this helps!

Paadmissions, THANK YOU for your feedback.  I did send an email directly to the director of the program 5 days after the waitlist letter, proposing additional things that I had started working on such as classes that I had taken this spring.  I mentioned that I plan on sending them updated transcript.  In addition, I mentioned if things did not workout this year, I am prepared to reapply and consider the school on my list.  In turn, I asked for specific information on areas where I can polish to make myself a strong competitive candidate for the program.  I have not heard back yet.  The program starts late August, 2014.

In the meantime, yes, I have opened new CASPA application for 2014-2015.  I have created a list of schools to apply to.  While finishing up my online biochem class that I started this spring, I am studying for GRE to get my scores to over 300.  Last year I had 294.  I have signed up for extra classes later in the summer - statistics and developmental psychology for certain schools that are requiring.

I was just wondering if you could give me some insight on how my application might fare in your professional opinion. My basic stats are a 3.7 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, 159 vGRE, 159 qGRE, 5.5 writing. I have about 1200 direct patient hours (CNA) and about 1500 indirect hours (Pastoral care in ER and Pharmacy Technician). My contact hours have come from an AmeriCorps affiliate program where I perform the same tasks as a paid employee but do so as a volunteer in a hospital that provides a lot of the charity care for the region. I was a student director of social action and have over 1000 hours of volunteer over the past 4 years. My personal statement talks about my service experiences as a foundation for wanting to enter this profession and a few personal challenges that have upheld this desire. My letters of rec come from a professor, a boss from my social justice internship and my nursing supervisor. I would welcome any feedback you might have. Thank you so much for all the feedback and guidance that you have given on this forum. 

Hello paadmissions,

I have been following this thread for a long time and I'm ready to ask a question myself. I will get an AS in health science and will go on to get a bachelors in clinical lab technology. I must admit I did not do the best in my science courses during my sophomore year, which is when i took my first few college science courses, but I am taking some science courses now and retaking microbiology and doing extremely well. Being that clinical lab technology mostly consists of science courses such as clinical microbiology, hematology, immunology, ect, if i do extremely well for these courses for the fall 2014, spring 2015 and summer 2015 while making up my hce hours as a CNA, will that improve my chances into getting into a PA program if i apply after the summer semester of 2015 to get in right after i finish my bachelors the year after, which will be either summer of 2016 or fall of 2016 ?(depending on the program of course)

@kml10kml Thank you for your question. I would think you would be competitive for many programs. I would like to see the breakdown of how you performed in common prerequisites, but I'm assuming its going to be similar to your science performance, which is probably at the average for some programs. Your overall GPA, GRE and clinical experience are very strong so I think it balances out your numbers. If you are offered an interview remember to prepare for interview as much as you prepared your application. Hope this helps!

I was just wondering if you could give me some insight on how my application might fare in your professional opinion. My basic stats are a 3.7 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, 159 vGRE, 159 qGRE, 5.5 writing. I have about 1200 direct patient hours (CNA) and about 1500 indirect hours (Pastoral care in ER and Pharmacy Technician). My contact hours have come from an AmeriCorps affiliate program where I perform the same tasks as a paid employee but do so as a volunteer in a hospital that provides a lot of the charity care for the region. I was a student director of social action and have over 1000 hours of volunteer over the past 4 years. My personal statement talks about my service experiences as a foundation for wanting to enter this profession and a few personal challenges that have upheld this desire. My letters of rec come from a professor, a boss from my social justice internship and my nursing supervisor. I would welcome any feedback you might have. Thank you so much for all the feedback and guidance that you have given on this forum. 

@candy93 Thank you for your question. If you've done well in your last 2 years (i.e. the last 40-60 semester hours) of school and, in my opinion, the majority of that work has been at the university level you may be ok if your GPAs are exceeding the recommendations for the programs that interest you. Your HCE plan seems solid, but programs may also factor in GRE scores, letters of recommendation, volunteer, leadership positions, etc. I would encourage you to get involved as much as possible to enhance the non-cognitive aspects of your application as well. Hope this helps!

Hello paadmissions,

I have been following this thread for a long time and I'm ready to ask a question myself. I will get an AS in health science and will go on to get a bachelors in clinical lab technology. I must admit I did not do the best in my science courses during my sophomore year, which is when i took my first few college science courses, but I am taking some science courses now and retaking microbiology and doing extremely well. Being that clinical lab technology mostly consists of science courses such as clinical microbiology, hematology, immunology, ect, if i do extremely well for these courses for the fall 2014, spring 2015 and summer 2015 while making up my hce hours as a CNA, will that improve my chances into getting into a PA program if i apply after the summer semester of 2015 to get in right after i finish my bachelors the year after, which will be either summer of 2016 or fall of 2016 ?(depending on the program of course)

PA Admission,

I have another question. I am working on my application and getting everything set, but am worried about my post bacc gpa. Since graduating I have taken pathophys, genetics, orgo, biochem, dev psych, and medical term, and the gpa is not the best, around a 3.0. My science gpa and overall are good, around 3.5-3.6. I am nervous because it seems like the post bacc gpa is very important, yet it is also when I have taken some difficult courses. My question is how much weight do admission committees put on the post-bacc gpa?

As always I appreciate your response and am thankful for all of the advice you give us on the forum,

Thanks!!

Hello!

I guess I am kind of in a bind right now, and I'm not exactly sure where to turn. I graduated with a B.S. in Biology, minor in psychology in 2011. My GPA (overall and sci) was/is pretty low, so I have been working full time in the medical field. I have over 8,000 direct patient care hours (some of these I started during college) and at least 3 LOR's from PA's. I have contacted the directors of schools that I applied to this past cycle (I didn't get in anywhere) and I know it was my low GPA that kept my application from being considered. My main question is how to improve my GPA, as many directors have told me that the rest of my application is pretty strong. I was just admitted into a masters of science program in exercise science, and I didn't know if this would be a route to consider to try to raise my GPA? Almost all of the masters program classes are classified in the science category, so I figured this may help. I was also going to retake a few of my pre-req's that I didn't do good in (got c's) before reapplying. I didn't fail/withdraw or get a D in any pre-req class, so I know when they average them together I'm going to need more than just retaking 2 courses to raise my gpa up enough to make a difference. I've seen before that not many people recommend going back and getting their RN unless they would like to go to NP school, which I understand. I'm just at a loss of what to do - so any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated!