Ask a PA Admissions Director

Dear Admissions,

I'm a 33 year old 2014 applicant with a mediocre 15-year-old undergrad GPA of 3.0 and a more recent pre-req and science GPA around 3.75 (bringing my actual cum closer to 3.2-3.3).  I'm focusing on schools that pay special attention to last 45-60 credit GPA and science GPA, but one glaring mark appears on my transcript from undergrad.  I received an F in a course for essentially missing the final paper deadline in an English class.  I feel I'm otherwise a strong applicant, and I feel I can explain this single terrible grade (no other Ds, Fs, or Ws) in the interview setting.  My question for you is, given this history, what is the best way to address (or not address) this grade in my initial application?  Is it best to put the issue right up front in my personal statement?  Wait for further essays in the secondary application?  Or neglect it entirely unless asked in the interview?  My primarily focus here is simply getting to the interview and addressing the mistake in the most honest and effective way.  

Thank you for your advice. 

Zoop

Dear PA admissions director,

My science GPA is slightly above a 3.5 overall, but I recieved a 2.5 in Biology during my freshman year (my only grade below a 3.0). My father passed away late in the semester and I bombed the final exam (dropping my overall grade from a 3.5 to a 2.5). I knew I wasn’t ready to take the exam, and I quickly realized I had made a mistake. I am retaking the course right now, during my Junior year, and expect to finish with a 4.0. Is it worth explaining what happened on my applications, or will it simply sound like an excuse? Also, my new grades will not be reflected on my transcript until April 29th. Should I apply on April 16th with an addendum explaining the grade and then send them an updated transcript when I get it? Or would it be better to simply wait the two weeks and have both Bio grades on my initial transcript? I am also anticipating recieve As in my other two science courses this term. I will only have around 750 hands-on hours and 400 shadowing hours when I apply so I know my GPA will be important. Any advide would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Brianna

• Upvote 1

@zoopeda Thank you for your question and sorry for the delay. I would address it briefly in your personal statement in the CASPA application. Not all programs have supplemental applications and you may only have one shot at mentioning it on paper. I wouldn't go on and on about it, just reference it, what you learned from it, and what you've done to improve as a student to show evidence to the committee that you're prepared to handle the rigors of PA school.  Hope this helps!

Dear Admissions,

I'm a 33 year old 2014 applicant with a mediocre 15-year-old undergrad GPA of 3.0 and a more recent pre-req and science GPA around 3.75 (bringing my actual cum closer to 3.2-3.3).  I'm focusing on schools that pay special attention to last 45-60 credit GPA and science GPA, but one glaring mark appears on my transcript from undergrad.  I received an F in a course for essentially missing the final paper deadline in an English class.  I feel I'm otherwise a strong applicant, and I feel I can explain this single terrible grade (no other Ds, Fs, or Ws) in the interview setting.  My question for you is, given this history, what is the best way to address (or not address) this grade in my initial application?  Is it best to put the issue right up front in my personal statement?  Wait for further essays in the secondary application?  Or neglect it entirely unless asked in the interview?  My primarily focus here is simply getting to the interview and addressing the mistake in the most honest and effective way.  

Thank you for your advice. 

Zoop

@williams1bl Thank you for your question. If you do address the retake I would address it very briefly in the personal statement. A close family member's death is a valid reason for performing poorly in a class. However, your recovery in courses from that point on seem to be solid and hopefully will work towards your advantage. If you're waiting only 2 weeks past the opening day of CASPA to complete your application I honestly don't think that will make you late even if you're applying to programs with an early deadline. However, if you're anxious to go ahead and submit everything closer to the 16th make sure that you've contacted the programs you're applying to to see what they have to see on your application for you to meet their requirements. For example, can you update them outside of your application with transcripts that would verify completed coursework or your degree, or does everything have to be on your application. Our program allows updates outside of CASPA to be made, but that may be different than other programs. Keep in mind although you've graduated it can sometimes take 2 weeks beyond your completion date for grades to reflect on your transcript. Most of the time it's not the case for graduates since grades have to be turned in earlier for auditing purposes, but you never know.  Hope this helps!

Dear PA admissions director,

My science GPA is slightly above a 3.5 overall, but I recieved a 2.5 in Biology during my freshman year (my only grade below a 3.0). My father passed away late in the semester and I bombed the final exam (dropping my overall grade from a 3.5 to a 2.5). I knew I wasn’t ready to take the exam, and I quickly realized I had made a mistake. I am retaking the course right now, during my Junior year, and expect to finish with a 4.0. Is it worth explaining what happened on my applications, or will it simply sound like an excuse? Also, my new grades will not be reflected on my transcript until April 29th. Should I apply on April 16th with an addendum explaining the grade and then send them an updated transcript when I get it? Or would it be better to simply wait the two weeks and have both Bio grades on my initial transcript? I am also anticipating recieve As in my other two science courses this term. I will only have around 750 hands-on hours and 400 shadowing hours when I apply so I know my GPA will be important. Any advide would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Brianna

Hi PA admissions,

Thanks for all your helpful advice! I've read through most of this forum and it's great!

I have a question I'd like to run past you if you have a second to answer. I'm getting towards the end of my first application cycle to PA school. I'm very committed to the profession and have planned on becoming a PA for years. I love it. Before applying this year, I was sure that I would be accepted by multiple schools. I have a 3.76 GPA, 3.8 science GPA, 2500 hours as a MA, biochem major (graduating this May), I speak fluent Spanish, have volunteered in multiple capacities... Etc.

I applied to 7 programs this year, was invited to interview at 6 of them. After interviews, however, I was rejected by 2 programs flat out, and I'm pretty far down on the wait list at all the others. I can't figure out for the life of me what I'm doing wrong. I've worked hard to improve my interview skills, read books and websites all over the place, practiced interviewing for hours and hours... I just can't figure it out, and I'm getting discouraged. Can you think of any possible reason that all these schools would be interested in me until they meet me?

I know this is like a shot in the dark type question for you, since you don't know me, but any advice you have would be appreciated! I'm a little reserved in personality, but once people get to know me, they always like me. I don't know why admissions committees aren't working the same way... Ha

I appreciate your time! Thanks again!

-Tyler

@drowningingreen Thank you for your question. Have you asked for feedback from the programs that have rejected you after the interview? Some programs may offer some feedback, some may offer little information, but some, and some may not give any feedback regarding the decision.  A lot of the times, not all of the time, personality (aka interpersonal traits) tend to be the reason some applicants are denied after an interview. For example, here are interpersonal traits that tend to be a red flag during an interview:

- Arrogance. There is a difference in confidence and arrogance. Some applicants at times can show that they have an over-inflated view of themselves. This trait is perceived as the applicant thinking that he/she does no wrong or when an applicant thinks he/she has their acceptance "in the bag" the minute they walk through the door it tends to be very obvious and is a red flag. 

- Confrontational. Although you may not intentionally "pick an argument" with someone at the interview, it could be that your responses to certain questions could lead to the conclusion that you may not handle situations with your classmates, instructors, preceptors, etc. in a way that is professional or desired. This type of personality tends to worry faculty about how the applicant may affect class morale and/or especially how you would handle a disagreement with a preceptor (potentially damaging a relationship with a clinical site) or a future employer. 

- Communication and interactions with faculty and students are just awkward. We know the interview day is stressful especially for our more quiet or shy applicants. Being shy or quiet is not a bad thing nor is it held against you in most cases, but if faculty and students are trying to engage you be sure you can carry on a conversation that shows you have good verbal communication skills. 

Without knowing you, these reasons are just examples of what could hurt applicants who look great on paper, but are denied after the interview. There may be things that I'm leaving out like if the program has a certain mission and the applicant just does not have plans to meet that mission-that could be another reason. If they do offer feedback (no matter how much or how little they offer), whether you disagree with the decision or not, take it for what it's worth and use it to better improve yourself. Typically, those who tell you they disagree with the committee's decision or have something to say about the decision usually have solidified the committee's decision. Again, this is all speculation, but hope it may help some. 

Hi PA admissions,
Thanks for all your helpful advice! I've read through most of this forum and it's great!
I have a question I'd like to run past you if you have a second to answer. I'm getting towards the end of my first application cycle to PA school. I'm very committed to the profession and have planned on becoming a PA for years. I love it. Before applying this year, I was sure that I would be accepted by multiple schools. I have a 3.76 GPA, 3.8 science GPA, 2500 hours as a MA, biochem major (graduating this May), I speak fluent Spanish, have volunteered in multiple capacities... Etc.

I applied to 7 programs this year, was invited to interview at 6 of them. After interviews, however, I was rejected by 2 programs flat out, and I'm pretty far down on the wait list at all the others. I can't figure out for the life of me what I'm doing wrong. I've worked hard to improve my interview skills, read books and websites all over the place, practiced interviewing for hours and hours... I just can't figure it out, and I'm getting discouraged. Can you think of any possible reason that all these schools would be interested in me until they meet me?

I know this is like a shot in the dark type question for you, since you don't know me, but any advice you have would be appreciated! I'm a little reserved in personality, but once people get to know me, they always like me. I don't know why admissions committees aren't working the same way... Ha

I appreciate your time! Thanks again!

-Tyler

PA Admissions,

I am reaching out to you because I am in need of some advice. I applied to PA school two years ago when I graduated with my undergrad degree. I didn't do well at all on the GRE, had no health care experience and has a C in one of my science classes. Since then I had contacted my undergraduate school last year. that also offers a graduate program for PA school. I did as they advised and retook the GRE, scoring in the 49 percentile for verbal and the essay and 64 percentile for quantitative. This was significantly better than the first time I took the exams. I also retook the science course I did poorly in, received my EMT certification, and am working in a personal care home for the last year and a half passing medications, administering insulin, and other tasks to aid the elderly. I applied to 6 schools receiving only one interview, which was the school I completed my undergrad at. The first five have rejected my application and the sixth says my application is still on hold. At this point I feel it will be another year of rejection. I am not trying to be pessimistic but I feel I have done so much this past year and I do not know what the next step I should take is. I truly want to be a PA and do not want to give up on this dream. Is there any advice you have on what I doing wrong or what I can do different? Thanks so much in advance!!

I am currently still an undergrad student going on my junior year, My GPA is a 3.3 although I still have many other courses to take, so there's still room for me to improve. My science GPA is at a 3.4 but I have one D in a lab which is only one credit hour so it didn't affect my GPA drastically. Should I retake the lab or should I keep the grade and just explain it when I go through the application process. 

Also, I'm currently working in a wound care clinic assisting in treatment of wounds, I've worked there for about 2 years but I also have 3 years of clinical experience because of the high school program I was in. I have yet to take the GRE, but assuming that I prepare myself enough to score fairly well. Would you say I'm on the right track to being considered for admission into PA school?

Thanks in advance!

Melissa

Would it look bad if I joined a RT bachelor's program while applying to PA school? If I get into PA school, then I would leave RT school and go to PA, but if I do not get in, then at least I will have a decent job that is patient related that could be used as a stepping stone to make getting into PA school easier. If anyone can comment about whether that would look bad on my part by leaving in the middle of a program.

Thanks,

-Phillip

Would it look bad if I joined a RT bachelor's program while applying to PA school? If I get into PA school, then I would leave RT school and go to PA, but if I do not get in, then at least I will have a decent job that is patient related that could be used as a stepping stone to make getting into PA school easier. If anyone can comment about whether that would look bad on my part by leaving in the middle of a program.

Thanks,

-Phillip

Furthering your knowledge and doing something you think could make you happy will never ever look bad

@lbuzzins Thank you for your question. My advice would be to seek feedback from the programs that rejected your application to see if your academics were the issue or if it was something else. You may also want to seek feedback from your interview to see if there is room for improvement like your interpersonal skills, communication, etc.  Without knowing your GPAs it's hard to make an assumption of what you may need to improve on. Hope this helps!

PA Admissions,

I am reaching out to you because I am in need of some advice. I applied to PA school two years ago when I graduated with my undergrad degree. I didn't do well at all on the GRE, had no health care experience and has a C in one of my science classes. Since then I had contacted my undergraduate school last year. that also offers a graduate program for PA school. I did as they advised and retook the GRE, scoring in the 49 percentile for verbal and the essay and 64 percentile for quantitative. This was significantly better than the first time I took the exams. I also retook the science course I did poorly in, received my EMT certification, and am working in a personal care home for the last year and a half passing medications, administering insulin, and other tasks to aid the elderly. I applied to 6 schools receiving only one interview, which was the school I completed my undergrad at. The first five have rejected my application and the sixth says my application is still on hold. At this point I feel it will be another year of rejection. I am not trying to be pessimistic but I feel I have done so much this past year and I do not know what the next step I should take is. I truly want to be a PA and do not want to give up on this dream. Is there any advice you have on what I doing wrong or what I can do different? Thanks so much in advance!!

@phil87lip Thank you for your question. I don't  necessarily see it as the worse thing in the world that you could do. There are pros and cons that can be perceived out of that decision and it will be up to you to take them for what it's worth..

You're showing that you do have a backup plan.  I know some of our admissions members may ask a candidate, what if PA school didn't exist or if you are not admitted to PA school what would you do? Your situation would show that you obviously have a backup plan. That said, you need to know and be able to communicate why you feel that the RT field is attractive you and on the flip side, why you feel the PA profession is attractive to you. Simply out of  curiosity most committee members would want to know why are you taking this route? I know that would be the first question most would ask when reviewing your application. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but be prepared to answer questions such as those above. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

-Phillip

@phil87lip Thank you for your question. I don't  necessarily see it as the worse thing in the world that you could do. There are pros and cons that can be perceived out of that decision and it will be up to you to take them for what it's worth..

You're showing that you do have a backup plan.  I know some of our admissions members may ask a candidate, what if PA school didn't exist or if you are not admitted to PA school what would you do? Your situation would show that you obviously have a backup plan. That said, you need to know and be able to communicate why you feel that the RT field is attractive you and on the flip side, why you feel the PA profession is attractive to you. Simply out of  curiosity most committee members would want to know why are you taking this route? I know that would be the first question most would ask when reviewing your application. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but be prepared to answer questions such as those above. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your feedback regarding my question. I am looking at accelerated nursing programs as well. I just really want to get out of the lab I am working in and get into a direct patient care career. Becoming a PA is my ultimate goal and I will not stop until I get in!

Dear paadmissions, I want to ask, now, too!

I'm applying to a few schools, this year (the ones that accept students like me).

I'm 44 and have no undergrad degree but I have the general ed requirements.  I spent my first career in the IT industry.  Here is what I look like:

Anatomy twice. A the first time B the second time.
Physiology twice. B the first time and A the second time.
Gen Chem 1 - B
Gen Chem 2 - A
Cell and molecular bio - A
Micro - A
Organic - A lecture and B lab

A.A.S. in Emergency Services Studies with a 3.8 GPA

Also 5 years, and counting, as a paramedic in a busy 911 system.  My LORs will be from the medical director of my system, a commander in my system and either a professor from my paramedic program or my cell and molecular bio professor.  Honestly my first visit to college (in the 80s) is a blur.  Good and bad grades, there.  Not sure of the GPA but it should be right around 3.0.  How would you view my application if you saw it?  Also, should I pursue the LOR from my biology teacher or one of the paramedic instructors?  

Thank you for what you are doing.

@dreatx Thank you for your question. One factor that may limit the programs you apply to is that you have only an associates degree. If you have found programs that are bachelor's level then please ignore my comment. If you were to consider getting your bachelor's degree it may open up more possibilities for you in the future. That said, I'm assuming that you've taken the courses you listed at the community college level? If that is the case, you may want to consider retaking some of them at the university level to make yourself a more competitive applicant and to better prepare yourself for the PA curriculum. Should you decide to pursue a master's level PA program I would strongly recommend that you retake the upper level chemistries and biologies at the university level even if those courses transfer in at the same level. We do run into applicants who had a rough start to college and recognize the immaturity factor, so it will be to your benefit to do everything possible to demonstrate evidence to handle the curriculum. In my opinion that is done through showing where you took your classes, how many semester hours you've taken at one time, and obviously how you've performed in the prerequisites. 

I would recommend that you pursue a LOR from your biology professor if you have other clinical references. I hope this helps. 

Dear paadmissions, I want to ask, now, too!

I'm applying to a few schools, this year (the ones that accept students like me).

I'm 44 and have no undergrad degree but I have the general ed requirements.  I spent my first career in the IT industry.  Here is what I look like:

Anatomy twice. A the first time B the second time.
Physiology twice. B the first time and A the second time.
Gen Chem 1 - B
Gen Chem 2 - A
Cell and molecular bio - A
Micro - A
Organic - A lecture and B lab

A.A.S. in Emergency Services Studies with a 3.8 GPA

Also 5 years, and counting, as a paramedic in a busy 911 system.  My LORs will be from the medical director of my system, a commander in my system and either a professor from my paramedic program or my cell and molecular bio professor.  Honestly my first visit to college (in the 80s) is a blur.  Good and bad grades, there.  Not sure of the GPA but it should be right around 3.0.  How would you view my application if you saw it?  Also, should I pursue the LOR from my biology teacher or one of the paramedic instructors?  

Thank you for what you are doing.

PA Admissions,

I am a senior in Biochemistry at Purdue, 3.6 gpa.(nothing below a B) I have been working as a CNA (550 hours), job shadowed a dermatology PA (50 hours). My GRE scores were verbal: 153, quantitative: 154, written: 5.0 . I wasn't accepted this semester to any of the 8 out of state schools I applied to. I did have one interview, but I messed up the PA vs MD question. I think it was mainly that my clinical hours were too low even though I only applied to schools with no clinical hours required? I think my recommendations and cover letter were pretty good. I could retake the GRE and job shadow some different PAs and MDs? I was going to apply as a clinical research assistant this summer and then send in my next application once I hit 1000 hours in August. Would continuing working as a CNA be a better option? Also should I be waiting to get as many hours as possible before sending in my application or is it better to send in my application in May when I haven't reached 1,000? Thank you so much for your help!

PA Admissions,

I am a graduate of a small liberal art college in Michigan, Hope College. I have a degree in Athletic Training. Both my overall and science gpas are around 3.55. When I was a freshman I recieved a C in my cells and genetics biology course and did not do the best, B's, in some other commonly required classes. Since then I have had an upward trend in grades. Do most admission programs look at the big picture or will they see that C as very negative. Since graduation I have 1000 hours as a unit tech in an ER, 1000 hours caregiving for people with developmental dissabilites, and 1500 hours of athletic training experience while in school. Do you think I need to retake a Intro Bio course? Thanks for the help!

So, I'm in a pickle here trying to navigate the admissions process.

Please bear with me while I break this down into manageable chunks:

1.  I grew up poor and without any concept of higher education, dropped out of HS, joined the Marines, and earned a GED.  While there I was greatly influenced by the Navy Corpsman caring for us.

2.  I worked as an EMT, volunteer Firefighter, and Red Cross instructor in the 1990s.  I left the field due to a combination of practice limitations and low pay.

3.  In the intervening years I attended community college a couple times with mixed results while trying to figure out where I fit.

4.  I returned to active duty in 2003, attending two years of translatable military schooling and deploying to Iraq and Afghanistan in military intelligence.  I finished that business in 2011 and, after some soul searching and research, determined to become a PA.

5.  I have since done two years of life sciences work at community college and completed a BA through Thomas Edison State College in NJ.

6.  In that time I have I have gone through two admission cycles, 12 school in the first and 26 in the second, getting four interviews in the second cycle leading to three rejections and one wait list.  

My stats come out as follows:

lifetime credits:  ~300

lifetime GPA: 3.02

2011-2013 GPA:  3.63 (includes all prereqs)

GRE:  168 verbal, 153 quant, 4.0 analytical

HC hours (EMT):  ~5000

Now I'm trying to put it together.  My goal, and my reasons for it, are quite clear and avoid the Mother Theresa pitfalls.   I believe I have something to contribute here and am very practical in my outlook towards it.  All but 12 of my credit hours are from community colleges.  I'm confused and frankly a little discouraged.  How do I make this work?  

@choctor Thank you for your questions.  You paper profile looks good and competitive with a lot of averages I see for matriculating classes so make sure there is nothing from an academic standpoint that could have held you back from being granted an interview. Because a lot program require 1000 hours of clinical experience it may be that you were not at the level most programs are looking for. Or it could be that you may not have applied early enough in the cycle to be considered..it never hurts to follow up with those particular programs. That said, I would recommend you continue your CNA work and possibly shadow if you're able to. I think that is better for you to have hands on experience and to continue working as a member of the healthcare team than clinical research. But, there have been many applicants who enjoyed clinical research so if it's a passion of yours weigh your options carefully.  Hope this helps!

PA Admissions,
I am a senior in Biochemistry at Purdue, 3.6 gpa.(nothing below a B) I have been working as a CNA (550 hours), job shadowed a dermatology PA (50 hours). My GRE scores were verbal: 153, quantitative: 154, written: 5.0 . I wasn't accepted this semester to any of the 8 out of state schools I applied to. I did have one interview, but I messed up the PA vs MD question. I think it was mainly that my clinical hours were too low even though I only applied to schools with no clinical hours required? I think my recommendations and cover letter were pretty good. I could retake the GRE and job shadow some different PAs and MDs? I was going to apply as a clinical research assistant this summer and then send in my next application once I hit 1000 hours in August. Would continuing working as a CNA be a better option? Also should I be waiting to get as many hours as possible before sending in my application or is it better to send in my application in May when I haven't reached 1,000? Thank you so much for your help!

@dreatx From our standpoint, we like to see the organics, mirco, and A&P at a university level. If you're limited to how many you can take I would prioritize at least the orgs and micro at the university level. Should you exceed coursework requirements Biochemistry is a very good course that will help you prepare for the PA curriculum. You'll find that a good number of programs may not require Biochemistry, so if they don't I would still recommend it as an additional course to consider taking. Hope this helps!

That is very detailed and very helpful. Last question: in terms of retakes, organic, micro and cell/molecular or include the A&P as well. Thanks again. This has been the most direction I've been able to find.

@jashdown Thank you for your question. I'm very familiar with Hope College as we had a graduate from there just complete our program in December 2012! I think most committees will consider the overall picture if you show improvement. I always stress that 1 or 2 Cs in your academic record is not the end of the world. If the programs you're applying to require Genetics you may want to consider retaking the course if you have straight Bs in every other course that is required. For example, there are some applicants that have a competitive overall GPA (3.4 range), but when you factor in that they have all Bs in their prerequisites, that prereq. GPA is only 3.0. Bs aren't bad, but you'll need higher scores to bring that GPA up to a competitive range 3.4-3.6 in the prereqs. If Genetics is required and you have a C and all Bs in the other courses, it could negatively affect your GPA. Without looking at your transcripts the advice above is based just assumptions. You've got good clinical experience so I'm not worried about that. Hope this helps and let me know if I'm out in left field. 

PA Admissions,

I am a graduate of a small liberal art college in Michigan, Hope College. I have a degree in Athletic Training. Both my overall and science gpas are around 3.55. When I was a freshman I recieved a C in my cells and genetics biology course and did not do the best, B's, in some other commonly required classes. Since then I have had an upward trend in grades. Do most admission programs look at the big picture or will they see that C as very negative. Since graduation I have 1000 hours as a unit tech in an ER, 1000 hours caregiving for people with developmental dissabilites, and 1500 hours of athletic training experience while in school. Do you think I need to retake a Intro Bio course? Thanks for the help!

@warhorse Thank you for your questions. Have you sought feedback regarding your application from the programs that you've applied to and with who you interviewed? I'm assuming, not 100% confident, that where you have taken your courses may be a  reason of why your application may not be as competitive with the applicant pool. That's how we would look at it from our standpoint.  Also, if you interviews did not go well at more than one program, there may be some interview skills that could be improved upon so seek feedback if they are willing to provide it. You GRE and clinical experience are solid and your most recent work is strong. It may be the cc factor that is holding your application back so if that is the case consider taking at least the upper level bios and chemistries at the university level if you're able to. Hope this helps!

So, I'm in a pickle here trying to navigate the admissions process.

Please bear with me while I break this down into manageable chunks:

1.  I grew up poor and without any concept of higher education, dropped out of HS, joined the Marines, and earned a GED.  While there I was greatly influenced by the Navy Corpsman caring for us.

2.  I worked as an EMT, volunteer Firefighter, and Red Cross instructor in the 1990s.  I left the field due to a combination of practice limitations and low pay.

3.  In the intervening years I attended community college a couple times with mixed results while trying to figure out where I fit.

4.  I returned to active duty in 2003, attending two years of translatable military schooling and deploying to Iraq and Afghanistan in military intelligence.  I finished that business in 2011 and, after some soul searching and research, determined to become a PA.

5.  I have since done two years of life sciences work at community college and completed a BA through Thomas Edison State College in NJ.

6.  In that time I have I have gone through two admission cycles, 12 school in the first and 26 in the second, getting four interviews in the second cycle leading to three rejections and one wait list.  

My stats come out as follows:

lifetime credits:  ~300

lifetime GPA: 3.02

2011-2013 GPA:  3.63 (includes all prereqs)

GRE:  168 verbal, 153 quant, 4.0 analytical

HC hours (EMT):  ~5000

Now I'm trying to put it together.  My goal, and my reasons for it, are quite clear and avoid the Mother Theresa pitfalls.   I believe I have something to contribute here and am very practical in my outlook towards it.  All but 12 of my credit hours are from community colleges.  I'm confused and frankly a little discouraged.  How do I make this work?  

Thank you for your quick response.  This is in follow-up to that.

1.  I have asked for feedback from three of the programs but so far have gotten no response.  Can you tell me how long I should wait before asking again?

2.  I have already taken A&P, Micro Bio, Cell Bio, Animal Bio, Immunology, Intro to Gen Chem, Intro to Organic and Biochem, and the full Gen/Inorganic Chem series, all at CC.  I have As in all the bio and Bs in the chemistry.  I have considered the O-Chem series but found that it wouldn't open up many programs that will accept my lifetime GPA to begin with.  What would you advise?

Again, thank you for doing this.

@paadmissions:

I am currently in my third year of undergrad and am applying this upcoming CASPA cycle. I have a 3.95 GPA, around 250 hours of paid direct patient care experience, around 15 hours of shadowing, multiple extracurricular activities, and am active in the community. Becoming a PA has been my dream ever since I was young. Recently, I decided to go on Spring Break with my friends, but I do not turn 21 until next month. I chose to drink while on vacation, and was confronted by the police because they were questioning everyone in a specific area. I was not causing any trouble by any  means, but they arrested me regardless, and I was given a deferred prosecution. This means I had to pay a fine, and it will not be a conviction on my record as long as I do not get in trouble for one year, which I absolutely will not. I never entered a guilty plea, and the only charge against me is underage consumption. My question is this: If admitted to a program, is this enough on my background check for a school to revoke my acceptance? I am fully aware of the consequences of my actions and know that in no way does this reflect my true character. If accepted, I plan on disclosing this to the program prior to them running my background check, but I would like to know whether it is even worth applying this year in my situation anymore.

Thank you much.