Ask a PA Admissions Director

Dear PA Admissions Director,

As I fill out the "Duties" description of the "Work and Volunteer Experiences" section of the CASPA form, there is a tight character limit in this text box.  Do you feel it is best to write in perfect prose with complete sentences, or do most acceptable applicants simply use bullet points or concise lists?

Thank you!

@jashdown As long as there are no program "restrictions" on who can submit letters for you I would go with the group home supervisor. If it has to be from a physician or other healthcare provider you may have to go with one of the other two. Hope this helps!

PA Admissions, thanks for your advice on my previous question, it was helpful. I now have a question about letters of recomendation. I am planning on asking a PA that I work with and a professor who knows me well, both of whom will write good letters. I am struggling on the third. I work at a hospital and  a group home for people with developmental disabilities. I believe that my manager at the group home would write the best letter, she knows me personally and my quality of work. My other options are a nurse or a doctor at the hospital, I do not believe their letter would be as good, they do not know me on a personal level. Who should I go with? As always, thank you for your help.

@pajem Thank you for your questions. I would not pursue the program that did not get back with you about whether or not you were accepted. It's unfortunate they did not reach out to you with a decision, but think the decision is pretty much implied. If the program that you're on the waiting list allows you to submit updates, I would do so if you have them. When does that program start? I would go ahead and prep for reapplying next cycle just in case. It's very hard for admissions folks to predict whether or not a seat will become available for those who are on the waiting list. I know it's agony waiting, but it all depends on the decisions of others which we can't force. When you inquire with that program if there are deficiencies make sure to ask if there were issues with your interview as well. Your application may be fine, but interview skills may need polishing. Hope this helps!

PA admissions, what would you recommend to a student who has been waitlisted to do in order to be considered for acceptance?  Situation:  I interviewed with a really good school in CA, and I just received a waitlisted letter (3 days ago).  This was my second interview this year.  The first interview, I never heard back from the program even after inquiring when the program had started early this year.  I have one more school left to hear from hoping for another interview, do well and be accepted.  I applied to 9 schools total in 2013. 2013 was my 2nd time applying to different PA schools and I learned a lot from first time mistakes I made.  I know CASPA just opened, however, I do not want to diminish hopes of getting in for 2014.  The school that has waitlisted me, encourages students to send in updates such letters of recommendations, updated transcripts for consideration.  I intend on sending updated transcript in May as soon as my college algebra and composition grades are submitted.  Also, I am writing an email to the school to find out specifically in what areas of application were average and need to be polished.  Your advice is greatly valued.

@jtracy Thank you for your question. I would be sure to put all of your work experience on your application and briefly address your work history in your personal statement. It will help the committee understand the "younger years." I do think you would be a competitive applicant especially with your more recent performance especially if those classes were taken at the university level and you took as many classes as you could. If you've taken the GRE and it's in a competitive range you're probably ok. Hope this helps!

Dear PA Admissions Director:

I am just finishing up my P.A. pre-reqs in May and am getting my application ready on CASPA.  My first question is based on my background, can you please tell me whether I am a competitive applicant?  I am 35 years old with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science (Major) and Communications (Minor) from the University of Iowa.  My overall undergraduate degree GPA was 3.33.  I pretty much got all A's the last year and a half of college.  I was bored with Comm classes, which brought my GPA down).  I have received almost all A's in my P.A. pre-reqs (only one B in microbiology - I was working 35 hours a week at the time).  I have been working as a clinical assistant at a local hospital for the last year and a half.  I have volunteer experience, but not a lot of it is recent.  2 years of Habitat Young Professionals from 2007-2009 - about 800 hours; 2010 - about 80 hours teaching English to refugees; 2012 - about 50 hours volunteering at the local homeless shelter.  I have about 80 hours total of P.A. shadowing experience: 40 family practice and the rest dermatology, pain management, ER, etc.

Prior to going back to school I worked in the legal field as a paralegal for family law.  In my 20's I thought I wanted to be a lawyer, so I bounced around firms to see what I could learn from different attorneys.  I ended up learning a lot, but it doesn't look great on my resume.  Also, when my father was sick I moved home to the Midwest and it was difficult to find work there.  I am very concerned about the work history portion of CASPA.  I feel like I have grown up immensely in the last several years and that I have direction and a clearer purpose - evidenced partially by my good pre-req grades.  I worry that my work history is going to look bad.  Do I need to include it?  Is it okay if I just include my medical work history?

Any information you could provide regarding my competitiveness and advice about work history on CASPA would be greatly appreciated!

@medickKT Thank you for your question. That's a really good question and that will always depend on the program you're applying to. I have started to hear more rumblings about "standby" hours just this year, but have not run across any programs that say they won't count all the hours documented on the application. Be sure to check with the programs you're applying to just in case. Our program would count all hours and just the programs I've been around tend to do the same. Hope this helps!

Hello,  I am working on applying for PA schools this application cycle and I have a question about my house of health care experience. I work as a paramedic and have heard that only a percentage of the hours worked are counted due to standby time. What is a common percentage of hours that applicants use? 

Thank you

@zoopeda To be honest I would prefer bullets or a concise lists of responsibilities. Some people get too flowery in their description. To the point is what we're looking for. Hope this helps!

Dear PA Admissions Director,

As I fill out the "Duties" description of the "Work and Volunteer Experiences" section of the CASPA form, there is a tight character limit in this text box.  Do you feel it is best to write in perfect prose with complete sentences, or do most acceptable applicants simply use bullet points or concise lists?

Thank you!

Hello paadmissions,

Thank you for your valuable feedback in here. 

I wanted to know my chances for admission:

Undergraduate: BS in Liberal Sciences (Health and Wellness)--Started as a Exercise Sports Sciene major and then realized I wanted to worrk in medicine 2.5 years into my program. 

Undergraduate GPA: 3.48

Science GPA: 3.32

Graduate GPA:  MS in Health Science (21 credits so far): 3.92

Post baccalaureate GPA: 3.61 (Graduate studies and additional science classes)

Overall cumulative GPA: 3.53

**All pre-reqs are completed**

Age at time of application: 25

GRE: Verbal 149; Quantitative 147; Writing 3.0 (Didn't make time to study...unfortunately).  I will be taking the GREs again this weekend.  Pray for me.  :-)

Direct patient care hours: ~3200 (Dietetic Technician at clinical weight loss center/Nutritional Counselor)

Research hours: ~700 Provider and Patient Safety at Johns Hopkins (Part-time for a 1.5 years)

Community service/Volunteer hours/Honors: ~80 Corporate Wellness Program Coordinator, Graduate Student Representative for College of Health Professionals search committee for new dean, Omicron Delta Kappa (Leadership Honors Society), 2-time Conference All-Academic Team (Student-Athlete Award)

Thank you!

• Upvote 1

@jtbracken0 Thank you for your questions. I do think you're a competitive applicant even with your first take on the GRE. If there would be anything I would recommend it would be considering retaking it, but because of your post-bacc and graduate work, I think you've done well to balance your academics nicely. This feedback would be based on if you were applying to our program, but I'm assuming you would probably fit in  well with many. Hope this helps and best wishes! Start your CASPA application if you have not already. 

Hello paadmissions,

Thank you for your valuable feedback in here. 

I wanted to know my chances for admission:

Undergraduate: BS in Liberal Sciences (Health and Wellness)--Started as a Exercise Sports Sciene major and then realized I wanted to worrk in medicine 2.5 years into my program. 

Undergraduate GPA: 3.48

Science GPA: 3.32

Graduate GPA:  MS in Health Science (21 credits so far): 3.92

Post baccalaureate GPA: 3.61 (Graduate studies and additional science classes)

Overall cumulative GPA: 3.53

**All pre-reqs are completed**

Age at time of application: 25

GRE: Verbal 149; Quantitative 147; Writing 3.0 (Didn't make time to study...unfortunately).  I will be taking the GREs again this weekend.  Pray for me.  :-)

Direct patient care hours: ~3200 (Dietetic Technician at clinical weight loss center/Nutritional Counselor)

Research hours: ~700 Provider and Patient Safety at Johns Hopkins (Part-time for a 1.5 years)

Community service/Volunteer hours/Honors: ~80 Corporate Wellness Program Coordinator, Graduate Student Representative for College of Health Professionals search committee for new dean, Omicron Delta Kappa (Leadership Honors Society), 2-time Conference All-Academic Team (Student-Athlete Award)

Thank you!

Thank you very much for your feedback.  I am retaking my GRE's this Saturday...I'm hoping to do better this time around since I feel like I have grown academically since my first attempt.  But once again I have not had much time to study with my work and school schedule.  :-(

I have started the CASPA process...I just need to write my narrative, receive my letters of recommendation, and send a transcript after this semester end.  I plan on submitting within a month. 

Once again thank you!

Hello I have run into a problem! And I need some advice! 

Here is the problem:

My cumulative GPA is a 3.03. my CASPA science GPA is around a 2.83. I would like to turn in my CASPA application as soon as possible, because I understand many schools have rolling admissions! However I am taking a couple science courses in the summer that will help increase my science GPA! one is in the first part of summer (June to July) and the other two are from July to August! My problem is if I wait until August to turn in my summer grades then it'll make my chances of getting accepted much harder because of rolling admissions. But my science GPA would be better! Do I turn in my CASPA application after my first summer science class and hope thats enough? Or do I just hold off until all my science classes are done in the summer (Around august) to turn them in? Do you think if I turn in my application early then turn in my transcript directly to schools after my summer classes that'd help?

@DerekJ I'll approach these questions from the standpoint of our program. I would probably tell you wait until at least the term I of those grades are in (July) to submit your application. The reason I say that is because you're bordering the cut off for some programs and if your science GPA is below 3.0 you may automatically disqualify yourself without those grades in to boost your GPA. That said, also take a look at the averages for the incoming classes of the programs you're applying to. It may be that you need to consider retaking more classes if that prerequisite GPA is not within a competitive range with the applicant pool. That could require taking this cycle off and enhancing your application over the next year to be more competitive. That's just a recommendation, but something to consider, given all other factors (test scores and health care experience) are competitive. Hope this helps!

Hello I have run into a problem! And I need some advice! 

Here is the problem:

My cumulative GPA is a 3.03. my CASPA science GPA is around a 2.83. I would like to turn in my CASPA application as soon as possible, because I understand many schools have rolling admissions! However I am taking a couple science courses in the summer that will help increase my science GPA! one is in the first part of summer (June to July) and the other two are from July to August! My problem is if I wait until August to turn in my summer grades then it'll make my chances of getting accepted much harder because of rolling admissions. But my science GPA would be better! Do I turn in my CASPA application after my first summer science class and hope thats enough? Or do I just hold off until all my science classes are done in the summer (Around august) to turn them in? Do you think if I turn in my application early then turn in my transcript directly to schools after my summer classes that'd help?

• Upvote 1

Pa admissions,

I am also curious to know my chances of admission. I am no where near ready to apply, just needing a little insight into hce.

I was an Army medic for six years with tours of duty to Iraq for an infantry/tank battalion, and left the service as a senior line medic for one of these companies. Two years following my separation from active duty, I graduated summa cum laude from Texas Tech with a BBA in finance and economics. I underwrote commercial loans for a large regional bank for a year and realized I was not happy with life in a cubicle. I left to pursue work with one of the worlds largest oil field services companies as a field ops professional for two years. After two years of 30 days on 14 off rotations and being away from my family, I realized that the grass really isn't greener on the other side and want to work in medicine. I have since left the oil field and completed a cna course. My dilemma is this: continue to grind away with pre reqs (have yet to start... Needing all of the sciences ) taking one or two a semester while working prn or maybe even fulltime, or dive head on into the pre reqs. I guess the question begs, does hce expire, so to speak given I have not worked in medicine for almost 4 yrs. another issue is that my wife works the night shift at a cardiac surgery center and child care also becomes a factor when having to juggle work and school as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated, and please excuse any typos as this was done on the mobile site. Thank you

Hello! Thank you so much for doing this. I have been struggling with what I should do in regards to applying this cycle. I will be graduating this May from a school known for having very difficult science courses (but I am unsure if programs will take this into consideration.) My science GPA is around a 2.9 and overall is approx. 3.3. I plan to retake some basic science courses this Fall in order to show my commitment to improving this and have these listed in my Planned coursework. I did not know what career I wanted to pursue early in my schooling and unfortunately, I can't go back in time and change these grades. I have had a gradual incline in my GPA and in my final semester, I am taking health-based courses such as medical emergencies and trauma with chances of getting straight A's. I have approximately 1000hours HCE as a PT aide, 75 hours of PA shadowing, 1300 hours as a medical receptionist, participated in a Medical Brigade and was the Treasurer of the Pre-PA club at my school. I also won a Leadership Award this semester for my program and have just started working as a medical assistant in an orthopedic office. I have had people read my personal statement and have received positive feedback and believe that I have excellent letters of recommendation. I plan to apply as I feel I may regret not applying more than if I just put myself out there. Is there any advice you may be able to offer me? Is it better to get your application out in order to possibly receive feedback?

Thank you for your time!

Hello paadmissions,

Thank you for your invaluable advice so far! I have a question regarding letters of recommendation. I have an excellent letter from my boss, a nursing manager (RN, MSN) at the hospital I've worked at for nearly a year, and another excellent recommendation from a nurse I work with. I'm wondering if it's best for the third letter to use a) my former boss in the political world before I decided to change careers, for whom I worked about 4 years - he could testify to my intelligence, communication skills, ambition, trustworthiness, etc., but not "patient care." or b) a second nurse manger from the same hospital, c) a second nurse, or d) a PA I haven't known very long but who would likely give me a good letter. Is it seriously damaging to not have a PA letter? Finally, is it strange to bring an extra letter of recommendation or two to an interview?

Thank you for your insight!

eople have told me to take classes that are  considered "OTHER" science to boost my overall science GPA up! (Nutrition exercise science) classes. My Prereq classes are pretty good!

If I take a few lower level science classes to help boost my GPA over a 3.0 would that help?  

Hi, I was just wondering my chances.

Cum GPA: 3.45

Science: 3.6

-GPA may fluctuate a little based on final grades during this final semester of my undergrad

-I received As in all prereqs except organic chemistry

HCE:

~1000 hours as a cna in nursing home

~1000 hours as patient care tech in micu/sicu and still working here

Analytical chemistry research assistant for a semester at school

Some volunteer experience

LOR

1. ICU nurse manager

2. Nurse from nursing home

3. Professor

(I tried to get a variety)

My personal narrative was about the death of my grandmother due to malpractice and how it inspired me to become a PA, however I did not write about my health care experiences which makes me nervous that they will overlook my app now, and i cannot edit because i already e-submitted, and sent my app to a few schools.  People who have read it said it was really heartfelt though, I am not sure if that helps with anything.

@jtbracken0 It's not as bad as you think it may be. Look at the recommendations/requirements of the programs you're applying to to see if they require a certain percentile rank in both sections (i.e. 50th percentile) or if just a combined V&Q combination is listed. For example, we recommend a 297 combo to be competitive, but it if you're closer to the 50th percentile you will probably be ok. Hope this helps!

So, I re-took my GRE's (with four days to study) and recieved a 152 Verbal and 147 Quantitative.  -__-.  Its better but not by much.  Ugh.

@jmedic Thank you for your questions and service. I'm not familiar with many programs that have a time limit on hours, most have time limits on coursework. That said, be sure to double check with the programs you're applying to before submitting an application. If it's feasible, knock out the prereqs as quick as you can. Going full-time in my opinion is the best way to approach it because you're able to take as many courses that you can at one time proving your ability to get back into the swing of things as a non-traditional student. If you cannot go full-time be sure to take as many courses as you can in a semester. Avoid taking the difficult courses (upper level bio and chemistry) at the community college or online. I think university level courses will always be the best route to go. I hope this helps and best wishes!

Pa admissions,

I am also curious to know my chances of admission. I am no where near ready to apply, just needing a little insight into hce.

I was an Army medic for six years with tours of duty to Iraq for an infantry/tank battalion, and left the service as a senior line medic for one of these companies. Two years following my separation from active duty, I graduated summa cum laude from Texas Tech with a BBA in finance and economics. I underwrote commercial loans for a large regional bank for a year and realized I was not happy with life in a cubicle. I left to pursue work with one of the worlds largest oil field services companies as a field ops professional for two years. After two years of 30 days on 14 off rotations and being away from my family, I realized that the grass really isn't greener on the other side and want to work in medicine. I have since left the oil field and completed a cna course. My dilemma is this: continue to grind away with pre reqs (have yet to start... Needing all of the sciences ) taking one or two a semester while working prn or maybe even fulltime, or dive head on into the pre reqs. I guess the question begs, does hce expire, so to speak given I have not worked in medicine for almost 4 yrs. another issue is that my wife works the night shift at a cardiac surgery center and child care also becomes a factor when having to juggle work and school as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated, and please excuse any typos as this was done on the mobile site. Thank you

@ashgoo Thank you for your questions. Some schools do officially give "points," for lack of a better term, to those applicants who have attended universities known for their academic rigor. That said, with a decline in academic performance, it really may not matter where you went to school. You may want to reach out to the programs that interest you to see if they will offer feedback before you apply. Although you may not be interested in our program, I can offer my feedback if you want to email me your transcripts to jmish@methodist.edu. Hope this helps.

Hello! Thank you so much for doing this. I have been struggling with what I should do in regards to applying this cycle. I will be graduating this May from a school known for having very difficult science courses (but I am unsure if programs will take this into consideration.) My science GPA is around a 2.9 and overall is approx. 3.3. I plan to retake some basic science courses this Fall in order to show my commitment to improving this and have these listed in my Planned coursework. I did not know what career I wanted to pursue early in my schooling and unfortunately, I can't go back in time and change these grades. I have had a gradual incline in my GPA and in my final semester, I am taking health-based courses such as medical emergencies and trauma with chances of getting straight A's. I have approximately 1000hours HCE as a PT aide, 75 hours of PA shadowing, 1300 hours as a medical receptionist, participated in a Medical Brigade and was the Treasurer of the Pre-PA club at my school. I also won a Leadership Award this semester for my program and have just started working as a medical assistant in an orthopedic office. I have had people read my personal statement and have received positive feedback and believe that I have excellent letters of recommendation. I plan to apply as I feel I may regret not applying more than if I just put myself out there. Is there any advice you may be able to offer me? Is it better to get your application out in order to possibly receive feedback?

Thank you for your time!

@KiB Thank you for your questions. The unfortunate thing about my answer is that it all depends on what program you're applying to when deciding who that final letter should come from. I would probably stick with a clinical reference if you're able to. Some programs may require an academic reference or a letter from a PA. I know our program would want to see an academic reference if you're able to get one, but if you're a non-traditional student I would prefer to see a clinical reference. We do allow applicants to submit only 2 more additional letters (3 from CASPA + 2 more), but no more than that. These letters have to be emailed to the program prior to an interview. Faculty and admissions staff don't have time to update file the day of so anything in advance is probably preferred. Hope this helps!

Hello paadmissions,

Thank you for your invaluable advice so far! I have a question regarding letters of recommendation. I have an excellent letter from my boss, a nursing manager (RN, MSN) at the hospital I've worked at for nearly a year, and another excellent recommendation from a nurse I work with. I'm wondering if it's best for the third letter to use a) my former boss in the political world before I decided to change careers, for whom I worked about 4 years - he could testify to my intelligence, communication skills, ambition, trustworthiness, etc., but not "patient care." or b) a second nurse manger from the same hospital, c) a second nurse, or d) a PA I haven't known very long but who would likely give me a good letter. Is it seriously damaging to not have a PA letter? Finally, is it strange to bring an extra letter of recommendation or two to an interview?

Thank you for your insight!

@derek J If an applicant asked me what "other" courses they could take to better their application and preparation for PA school I would recommend the following:

- Cell Physiology

- genetics (required by some programs)

- Medical Microbiology

- Biochemistry (required by some programs)

- Developmental Biology

In my opinion, taking a lower level course like intro to biology (or something similar) would be an easy way out. Just my thoughts and hope this helps!

eople have told me to take classes that are  considered "OTHER" science to boost my overall science GPA up! (Nutrition exercise science) classes. My Prereq classes are pretty good!

If I take a few lower level science classes to help boost my GPA over a 3.0 would that help?